7v/12v switch?

slaya

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, I have a 2 way switch and i'm wondering if it's possible to wire my fan to this wire making it 12v/7v

Yep, I've done it before. Just follow the normal precautions for custom wiring things (double check those connections, don't want to fry anything :p ) and you'll be good.

I've done much googleing before posting this and i've visited both of those sites. The first one, I simply just dont understand, they guy has the most confusing picture in the world, and no content to explain what he is actually doing. The second site, doesn't show how to make a 7v/12v switch, it shows how to make a 5v/12v switch..

If someone could make a quik ms_paint picture that would be great.

Thanks

Code:
    to fan's GND
          |
 GND      |      +5V   (these are from molex)
   \      |      /    
    \     |     /     
     \    |    /      
     |    |    |   
    -------------  
    |  switch   |  
    ------------- 
           \ 
            \

Hook up the +12V to the fan like normal, and hook a GND and +5 up like above. With the switch as pictured, the fan will run at full speed.

Edit: Doh! Herulach, you posted a link faster than I could draw ASCII. :p

Yeah, was gonna try that, then decided i really couldnt be bothered. Plus, bittechs is cooler, i mean LEDs wow! How uber 1337! :)

Ah, my switch seems to be a SPST, it only has two connectors on the back.. I guess they are on/off so I can't do this huh? I can't evan do 5v/12v right?

slaya said:
Ah, my switch seems to be a SPST, it only has two connectors on the back.. I guess they are on/off so I can't do this huh? I can't evan do 5v/12v right?

nope, you're stuck with on/off. Use those switches for lighting/leds....check out the rest of Cliffs schematics> http://www.fanbus.com/thelab/Schematics/baybus_schematics.htm

if you have a Rat Shack close by you can get one of their mini-switches> http://www.radioshack.com/product.a..._name=CTLG_011_002_015_006&product_id=275-625

Back