7MC and extenders

McG2k1

Limp Gawd
So I'm finally getting around to trying to use my xbox 360 as functioning extender for 7MC. I can play back MKVs no problemo. BUT, I can't get the 360 to see anything in video_ts folders. Is this an old 'feature' that I never noticed?

I've pulled all the kid's DVDs onto the system in their original file structure so I can reburn them when the ones for the mini-van get destroyed. Since I have to store these for actual real legit backups, it'd be nice to not have to rip them too.

Do I have something misconfigured perhaps or is this a problem as old as the mountains?

McG

Extenders (at least MS's extenders) don't support playback of VOB files which means all of your video_ts DVD rips aren't supported on the 360. It's actually a very old issue but considering that 7MC is the first time MS actually enabled the DVD Gallery by default is a huge step forward.

The only way to get playback on your Extender is to rename the vob files extension to MPEG2 or something like that. I don't dick around with extenders so it's been a while since I've read up on all of their work arounds like this. I think you might have to run the file through Video Redo or something as well. Like I said, if Extenders weren't utterly useless I'd actually care about their issues but that's as much as I remember on it.

yeah it looks like i'm SOL. been looking around all night for an alt solution. seems like a mini 10 with a full win7 and a fat drive hanging off it is about the only way to go for something quiet in the bedroom.

yeah it looks like i'm SOL. been looking around all night for an alt solution. seems like a mini 10 with a full win7 and a fat drive hanging off it is about the only way to go for something quiet in the bedroom.

What exactly are you looking for this system to do?

a inspiron would probably be cheaper.

I need it to be 7MC. the idea for this is to put something small and quiet in the bedroom that can play stuff from those video_ts folders. and also be cheap. If the 360 could do this one thing (play from video_ts on the server) it would be ideal. and inspiron w/ a celeron is 269. that's acceptable. I'll just install win7 on that.

course then i'll find a whole new set of problems

You can re-encode to DVR-MS files and play on extender and maintain ff/rewind..etc.

I haven't tried playing movies yet but I thought using My movies you could play back DVDs on extenders. I would recommend you check out http://www.thegreenbutton.com since I am sure some one on there has a solution.

Back