$7K Mac Pro Is Only 8% Faster Than An iMac

HardOCP News

[H] News
Yes, but does the iMac come in a neat black trash can form factor? That right there is worth the $4,100 price difference. ;)

“It should be no surprise that the new 8-core Mac Pro is the fastest Mac we’ve tested, but it was only 8 percent faster overall than our previous champ, a [configured to order] 2013 27-inch iMac,” Macworld’s James Galbraith wrote. “That custom system has a speedy quad-core 3.5GHz Core i7 processor, a 3TB Fusion Drive, 8GB of RAM, and Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M graphics.” The iMac Galbraith describes, by the way, costs $2,699 — or $4,100 less than the new Mac Pro in question.

did they even run a full suite of benchmarks?

I mean the dual workstation graphics cards on the mac pro would put it miles ahead in a lot of applications that support graphics card acceleration.

no to mention its an 8 core cpu vs a quad core.

without cherry-picking results, the mac pro generally blew everything away? color me surprised. :p

It's an Apple product, people who want them will pay anything at all. Comparing price/performance of Apple products to each other or anything else is always comparing apples to lunar light reflection dynamics as far as the people who buy them are concerned. Number crunching is completely irrelevant.

It's an Apple product, people who want them will pay anything at all. Comparing price/performance of Apple products to each other or anything else is always comparing apples to lunar light reflection dynamics as far as the people who buy them are concerned. Number crunching is completely irrelevant.

for a few minority of hardcore fans, that is true. but for majority of millions of customers, it is completely false.

For apple to dominate phones, ipod, ipad markets, overpriced products with gimmicks would not fool millions of customers.

Well I just ordered Windows 8.1 Pro. Last time I used windows full time was in the 90's. Luckily most of the software I use is cross platform.

Engadget's review had some actual opinions about how the system responded with an application that takes advantage of the dual workstation GPUs (Final Cut Pro). No way would an iMac let you add up to 15 filters and effects and render them in real time - or handle multiple 4K video streams). Bottom line, most of the benchmarks people are running on the Mac Pro are simply not optimized for the hardware that is present.

For the average user, the Mac Pro is overkill; for professional videographers or visual effects companies there simply is no comparison.

In the heavy video and photo editing software the MacPro was faster. The author of the 8% article is an idiot who doesn't have the slightest clue what a MacPro is for.

The real question should be, why is hardocp linking to a stupid article to begin with???

Good lord, if you actually believe this is representative of real-world performance, I have a bridge to sell you.

The only thing more ludicrous and irrational than the blind Mac love I see in Starbucks is the blind Mac hate I see in places like this.

The Mac Pro is designed for ultra-high-end video editing, not as a general purpose workstation or gaming system.
In fact, aside from the iMac, it's about the only Apple system actually worth the price tag associated with it. (after further research, I take back what I said about it being overpriced)

As for the youtube video mentioned with the 4K video editing being shown, that is exactly what these systems are designed for.
If it is needed for anything else, then I would suggest investing into an actual workstation.

it's about the only Apple system actually worth the price tag associated with it.

This. Except, well, the 13" Macbook Pro Retina Display.

Those machines are fucking gorgeous, and with a student/summer discount, aren't too expensive for what you get. The build quality is unparalleled.

I've looked into so many 20mm-ish notebooks (Samsung, Asus, Dell, to name a few) at the same price point and the unibody construction is just miles ahead.

Yahoo News?!?!?!?!? :D Wow, click bait article for sure. Who knows, the article writer probably thinks his P4 512MB WinXP Home edition computer is all that. :D

Those machines are fucking gorgeous, and with a student/summer discount, aren't too expensive for what you get. The build quality is unparalleled.

I've looked into so many 20mm-ish notebooks (Samsung, Asus, Dell, to name a few) at the same price point and the unibody construction is just miles ahead.

I'd argue the build quality of Dell's alienware laptops are the same par of the Apple laptops. However, they are two completely different markets and are built with entirely different functions in mind.

for a few minority of hardcore fans, that is true. but for majority of millions of customers, it is completely false.
Mac Pro will never be a mainstream product though, so no reason not to price it into the stratosphere, some schmucks out there will buy them.

I should put my existing equipment into my simplehuman trashcan, spraypaint it, and put it on ebay as a hackintosh pro see how much I get.

since it was mentioned, i'd argue the 27" iMac is a good value, as well. you're getting an IPS 2560x1440 display (very pricey standalone component), an Intel quad-core CPU, 8 gigs of memory, and dedicated video, in an all-in-one package.
Can build a hackintosh for a lot less

lol, you're not going to win this.

Mac Pro will never be a mainstream product though, so no reason not to price it into the stratosphere, some schmucks out there will buy them.

I should put my existing equipment into my simplehuman trashcan, spraypaint it, and put it on ebay as a hackintosh pro see how much I get.

Have fun designing a three piece motherboard and that heatsink setup. I'm sure you can do it.

I am no apple fan and I do not even own any of their products. (Beyond my budget and I live in the Microsoft ecosystem anyways.) However, this machine is fantastic for what it was designed to do and way beyond anything anyone here could build for the cost and warranty.

It`ll still be a hit with customers who need it for the intended purpose; simplicity and function.

I imagine someone is going to mention their Extreme 4960x setup with 64gb of ram quad titans running 8.1 all under $7K....

It's a fair assessment to make, which is why desktops and workstations shouldn't necessarily be judged by the same standards. The professional application benchmarks tested show where a lower clocked 8 core CPU shines, but the grandma stuff doesn't. If the article Steve linked saves some people from wasting their money on the 3.0GHz oct core Ivy Bridge-based Mac Pro when they'd really benefit more from the 3.5GHz quad core Haswell-based iMac, then good.

Yahoo News?!?!?!?!? :D Wow, click bait article for sure. Who knows, the article writer probably thinks his P4 512MB WinXP Home edition computer is all that. :D

Page click resisted. I'm not giving them what they want. I await the trolling though. Should prove to be entertaining.

Mac Pro will never be a mainstream product though
Would be nice to see them bring back the PowerMac.

They haven't had a proper desktop system since then... the older Mac Pro's could fill that niche, but the new one can't.

Can build a hackintosh for a lot less

really.. lets see you find the case and air flow it has...

and then you can deal with the potential driver issues that plague hackintoshes now and then and if you update the OS.. or have to wait for a new boot method..

Meh. Trashcan Mac only support 64GB DRaM max when 2008 workstation motherboard supported 32GB and up to 1TB with current.

Back