7970's

jwl24

Limp Gawd
Alright, after finally researching, and spending endless hours of reading benchmarks and everything finally came down to the fact that crossfire 7970's are the best way to go for performance wise for gaming in eyefinity, fps, etc. They outperformed any of the sli cards and everything, now I'm just trying to find out what 7970's to actually get... newegg and amazon doesn't make it easy with like 20+ different kind of 7970's, so I was hoping to get a good answer here of what is the best CF 7970's to get? I saw the MSI Lightnings, then I saw some HIS 7970, with pretty different price tags, I would assume these are the two higher quality 7970's, but why such a difference in price?

Anywho, anyone can shed some light of which CF 7970's are the best at this time?

I'd wait for 2 more weeks, Titan is around the corner and although it might not beat 2 7970's it will be a damn sight better in the smoothness department with the ability to SLI later on.

Titan is $900+ and yes it would be an easier road but not faster and certainly more expensive. I know MSI makes quality cards but am not familiar enough with amd to comment on which one sorry.

I would personally stick with the fastest single card you can afford. SLI and crossfire are not the easiest to manage. I always got some form of stutter whether using amd or nvidia.

What's the point of waiting for the titan when it won't be the two 7970's? If two 7970's will be still be better than the titan, then the 7970's would still win the pick up!

I really like my Sapphire Dual-X OC models. They are the older, non boost model with the black PCB. They run great at 1100/1600. Top card runs right around 70c with fans on auto, bottom card stays about 58. Of course you need a case with good airflow to run two non-reference style cards.

I said wait on Titan just for the sake of seeing what it brings to the table because no one knows. It will likely be a very powerful single gpu card with the ability to SLI in the future along with the current AMD driver issues.

I own 3 7970's two of which are in my main PC, running at 1125/1575 they are very fast but also stutter like a son of a ##### on the games I play unless I cap the framerate. After experiencing a friends SLI setup I will never again go AMD for a dual gpu solution.

Here's a plain layout to help if anyone's got any questions, of what I'm looking for basically...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Pretty much this week.
BUDGET RANGE: Any budget is fine, pretty much looking to get the best card(s) performance wise. Either being solo card , or SLI/Crossfire, whichever is going to push the best performance, etc, at this time..
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, multi-tasking, etc.
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Crossfire 7770 GHZ , and a Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX1200)
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Running i7 3930k, asus rampage iv extreme mobo, g skill 16gb memory, ocz vertex 4 ssd, 1tb WD HD, using h80i watercooler
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any website that provides logical prices, rebates, shipping, legitimate business, etc..
PARTS PREFERENCES: This is where I'm open to availability.. I'm trying to find out what the absolute best cards for performance right now would be.. Be it CF or SLI cards, or one of the larger single cards, etc. Trying to find out what the best is right now to go with is.
OVERCLOCKING: Of course
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Either or depending on the cards recommended for best performance, etc.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Eyefinity 1920x1080 (x3)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am open to anything, reason for posting this is because I'm trying to find out what to purchase, either dual cards, single card, sli or crossfire, whichever is going to give me the best performance, and works excellent, pretty much the best way to build a set-up at this time.

Here's a plain layout to help if anyone's got any questions, of what I'm looking for basically...

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Pretty much this week.
BUDGET RANGE: Any budget is fine, pretty much looking to get the best card(s) performance wise. Either being solo card , or SLI/Crossfire, whichever is going to push the best performance, etc, at this time..
USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, multi-tasking, etc.
CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Crossfire 7770 GHZ , and a Corsair Professional Series AX 1200 Watt ATX/EPS Modular 80 PLUS Gold (AX1200)
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Running i7 3930k, asus rampage iv extreme mobo, g skill 16gb memory, ocz vertex 4 ssd, 1tb WD HD, using h80i watercooler
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Any website that provides logical prices, rebates, shipping, legitimate business, etc..
PARTS PREFERENCES: This is where I'm open to availability.. I'm trying to find out what the absolute best cards for performance right now would be.. Be it CF or SLI cards, or one of the larger single cards, etc. Trying to find out what the best is right now to go with is.
OVERCLOCKING: Of course
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Either or depending on the cards recommended for best performance, etc.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: Eyefinity 1920x1080 (x3)
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am open to anything, reason for posting this is because I'm trying to find out what to purchase, either dual cards, single card, sli or crossfire, whichever is going to give me the best performance, and works excellent, pretty much the best way to build a set-up at this time.

This was an eye sore to read.

You can't go wrong with 7970 CF, but as always, when you run SLI or Crossfire you need to be prepared to run into problems here and there. I've been running a GTX 590 and SLI from my experience has almost always had less issues than Crossfire, but I still ran into a few issues over the past two years (some of them significant, some of them not). Keep this in mind if you are going a dual-GPU route; I am waiting out for the Titan to go back to a single card.

Looking at the prices on a 4gb 670 SLI setup, I would say wait on the Titan honestly. Get the fastest single card you can afford and generally you will be happy. Otherwise, at least a pair of 4gb 670s like the MSI twin frozr or Galaxy which have aftermarket coolers but aren't triple slots.

Crossfire stuttering is easily fixed by capping framerates with something like Radeon pro or msi afterburner. Yes nvidia has it built in, AMD doesn't yet. Titan is supposedly going to cost $900+ whereas 7970 cfx can be had for $700 new and $600 buying used.

OP, don't overlook a pair of 7950's either, you could be into those under $600 brand new...

Your current setup should hold you until Titan comes out. Then you can better assess and evaluate the most viable graphics solution for your needs depending on the performance numbers from legitimate reviews instead of speculation.

Who knows? Maybe when Titan is released the GTX 680 and/or the HD7970 will see a price drop.

Why not just grab the 2 cheapest reference cards you can find? It'll end up cheaper than Titan and you'll have more power.

Crossfiring non-reference cards kind of negates the temperature advantage of nonreference coolers as they just spew air into each other. There's also no advantage to non-reference pcbs unless you have a wicked cooling setup. Even on water I'm pretty sure the chip will dictate your max overclock rather than the kind of power delivery you have.

Back