7970 TIM - Have anyone reapply?

Igg

[H]ard|Gawd
Have anyone reapplied the thermal goo on their 7970?

Just wondering if you've had any decrease in temps or not.

Mine at full load is hovering around 40% fan, 80Cwith ambient temps around 21C

I'm going to do this tonight. Mine seems to be 10C or so higher then the normal. I'll check back here if I end up getting to it tonight

My temperature dropped by about 5-8 degrees, depending on the load, when I reapplied TIM using MX4. It seemed like there was too much on my chip initially.

However, I did replace a case fan that could also help account for the difference in temperature. This fan was at the bottom of my case pushing air upwards.

One last thing to note is that supposedly AMD is using some TIM that is more efficient than anything you can purchase. If it was applied appropriately at the factory, I doubt there will be much of an improvement.

1 of my 4 cards the goop was cooked/baked on the core and heatsink. To me it looked like poor contact and thats why that 1 card was much hotter. I had to scrape that stuff off with my finger nail and rub with lots of rubbing alchol to get it off. The other 3 the goop was soft.

You never know but in doubt.. check it. Better off with your own goop anyways.. MX2-4 would be way better then what there putting on there.

Did you guys redo the thermal pads on the vrm/memory chips or did you just reuse the pads?

Did you guys redo the thermal pads on the vrm/memory chips or did you just reuse the pads?

People just reuse them.. If you want to flatten them again i've read one guy say to heat them up with a blowdryer and place something flat over them and they will reshape. I'd just slap them back on and they will mush back into place no prob.. prob seal like normal after use then they heat up.

Back