• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7970 revs up when browsing the web

tzhu07

Gawd
Joined
Nov 21, 2010
Messages
566
Whenever I'm watching an HTML5 video (like on YouTube), the video cards just revs up. I think the hardware acceleration might be going overboard.

Does anyone else have this problem?
 
I see what the issue is. Whenever I play HTML5 video, Catalyst Control Center sets the clocks to 925/1375, which is completely overkill for web browsing.

How do I prevent this apart from having to manually go into the options every time?
 
I would use Firefox or Opera and wait for a driver update, unless someone knows a fix. From what I understand, Chrome uses its own flash plugin.

If all browsers do it, you can at least rule that out.
 
isn't that normal behavior? playing a 1080p video in html5 would take a lot of gpu processing so it seems normal that the clocks come up
 
I've been having crashing/freezing issues with the latest version of chrome due to it causing my GPU clocks to vary incredibly rapidly. Resolved this by deleting pepper flash from chrome and installing stock flash from Adobe. Worth a shot turning off HTML5 after this and seeing if it helps.
 
I disable all GPU acceleration in my browsers because of this. CPUs are plenty powerful to handle all that stuff.
 
GPU rendering comes with its benefits, it's not just for speed
 
i use firefox and the vcard clocks jump to the max also when playing videos on youtube, so it seems normal to me
 
This is normal for YouTube.

YouTube HTML5 uses VP8 or VP9 instead of H.264, you computer has a special chip to decode H.264 but not VP8, so it has to use either the CPU or GPU to decode it. Decoding media without specialised chips is actually quite demanding.
 
^ Great info, I just learned something

The real lesson here is reference cooling sucks.
 
Back
Top