7970 price gouging? 6970 comparitive pricing...

Kepler could be a year from now. Look at the 5xxx series. They will probably release stinking pieces of crap cards like the 4xx series in order to save face. Nvidia sucks at winning the race. By the time they release better cards (580) AMD blows them away with new architecture.

The 7970 is only for eyefinity and ultra high resolutions. No one will see any performance upgrade from a 6970 to 7970 on a single screen. Anyone who can afford 3 screens or high resolution single screen will pay top dollar to power it.

I'm going to wait for the card that will replace the 6970 in it's current price range and pick up another 6970 on the cheap.

The 7970 is only for eyefinity and ultra high resolutions. No one will see any performance upgrade from a 6970 to 7970 on a single screen.

Don't forget the small segment of gamers who game on a 120 hz display and want to see a very consistently high frame rate in their games. :)

When the 580 sells for around $350, where it should be, then the 7970 will be about $400. Also where it should be.

Kepler could be a year from now. Look at the 5xxx series. They will probably release stinking pieces of crap cards like the 4xx series in order to save face. Nvidia sucks at winning the race. By the time they release better cards (580) AMD blows them away with new architecture.

The 7970 is only for eyefinity and ultra high resolutions. No one will see any performance upgrade from a 6970 to 7970 on a single screen. Anyone who can afford 3 screens or high resolution single screen will pay top dollar to power it.

agree, thats the only reason i will be getting the 7970, eyefinity. It seems like alot of people are whining about the price, seems if you have limited income then you probably dont have three monitors, which sits you firmly in the "you dont need this card anyways so whay are you crying like a little girl" segment. And isnt this Hardforum... if you dont like high perfomance pcs Walmart has pre builts for 300 bucks that will play farmville at butter smooth frame rates.

First of all, the 7970 is not going to sell like crazy. Not at just south of $600 dollars per video card. Also, not with 1 in 3 families 1 payment away from foreclosure here in the United States. Those are not my numbers. Go Google that if you want to. People like to throw around a lot of numbers and refer back to past years but, the economy is the worst it's been in 20+ years. None of that data means jack. A lot of big talk but when it comes down to it, I doubt seriously you're going to have many tweeners or even college kids dropping nearly $600 dollars on a video card. Aint going to happen. Will people buy it? Sure, but not in droves as some might stupidly have others believe. The 7970 is barely faster than a year old 580. Seriously? Yeah, it's new, nice, pretty, cool and all but at the end of the day, it's still ... barely ... faster ... than a 580. What's amazing to me and I'm still shocked that no one else is considering this but for just $500, you can buy two 6950's and be faster than the 7970, with, $50 left over ... lulz. Hell, you can damn near buy two 6970's used for around $550 and again, be faster than a 7970. So yeah, the 7970 is priced way way into gouging territory on so many levels its not even funny. And yeah, I'm with team AMD. Very disappointed. Trust me. I do not share these words lightly. It does hurt me.

As many other have stated this card is not aimed at teens of broke college kids. And since when is an avg of 25% faster than an OC 580 barely faster? dont forget the drivers are still young, give em about 6 months and some oc and I could see an avg of 40% more perfomance than the 580. How should they price the fastest card..., the 580 is still 500 bucks, the 3 gig is even more, the price is fair. People that buy these types of cards are usually not too affected by current economy for the most part, some poeple just make the sacrifice.

What a crock of shit.

iyAhP.png

what youve shown is high resolution, and the 6970 was getting over 30 frames so what is your point......

When the 580 sells for around $350, where it should be, then the 7970 will be about $400. Also where it should be.

That may be where you wish them to be, but that is not where they are supposed to be. The market will ultimately decide where they are supposed to be.

I would rather pay less as well, but it is not as though I just have to have these new video cards or the world will end. I can always buy the next step down, or stay with what I have, or pick up something used.

It's DualOwn, he rags on any AMD card when it's released. Hoooray fanboys. :rolleyes:

As for the price, it seems priced fine to me, it's more expensive because it's faster. AMD needs the money and they have a card that they can price in that range due to it's performance so they did.

Exactly I don't understand what is all this moaning and b*tching all about. AMD is not a charity and why must they price a card just to please the cheapskates in the market and then drive themselves out of the business due to non-existent margins.

Surround works just fine, what are you on about? Yeah, I would prefer that dual gpu/cards were not a requirement, but to act like it does not work properly is hardly being honest.
And that is from someone that has not purchased a Nv product since Nv decided using my 9800Gtx for PhysX with my 5870 should be blocked. I have seen Nv surround in action though, and from what I saw, it worked just as flawlessly as my AMD cards.

Anyway, the 7970 is not overpriced. It is simply priced higher than some are willing to pay. People seem to have forgotten that the top end, single gpu cards, routinely sold for $500-$600 or even more. Amd getting back in the game with the 4870's extremely aggressive pricing, on an extremely good card, skewed the market prices downwards sharply. We have simply been seeing a slow return to the prices we used to consider the norm prior to 2008.

EXACTLY - I rather see healthy competition between AMD, Intel and nvidia that spurs innovation rather than a war of attrition that will eventually drive the companies bankrupt. People ten to forget that the Geforce 2 Ultra are priced in the $500 to $600 range in 2000

Yea, well, many of us were suckers back in 2000 and I see many of you still have not wizened up.

Yea, well, many of us were suckers back in 2000 and I see many of you still have not wised up, in my opinion.

You forgot something...

Besides, what does it matter to you if someone wants to spend $500+ on a card? If you don't have enough or won't spend that much, then why do you care? Just to come in to a thread and say, "You guys are idiots for spending that kind of money."?

Do you go to people who want to buy a car that costs more than $40,000 and say that they are idiots too?

Honestly, if I had the extra cash right now, I'd drop coin on this kind of setup:
Asus R4E + i7 3960X + 64GB (8x8) DDR3-1600/1866
3 Sapphire HD7970 Atomic RX/WC or 3 Sapphire HD7970 Flex 6G
Case Labs MH10/TH10

Yea, well, many of us were suckers back in 2000 and I see many of you still have not wizened up.

Not our fault you still live in your mom's basement while waiting for that dream job from google. Try not to let your bitterness ruin others' enjoyment of their money.

Lol, this thread ended up exactly where I knew it would. We even have someone pulling up a dictionary definition...fucking classic.

You forgot something...

Besides, what does it matter to you if someone wants to spend $500+ on a card? If you don't have enough or won't spend that much, then why do you care? Just to come in to a thread and say, "You guys are idiots for spending that kind of money."?

Do you go to people who want to buy a car that costs more than $40,000 and say that they are idiots too?

Honestly, if I had the extra cash right now, I'd drop coin on this kind of setup:
Asus R4E + i7 3960X + 64GB (8x8) DDR3-1600/1866
3 Sapphire HD7970 Atomic RX/WC or 3 Sapphire HD7970 Flex 6G
Case Labs MH10/TH10

You know what else? People who have the money to buy nice cars - other people look at them with jealousy and wish they could be in their shoes. But people who have the money to buy nice and expensive cards - oh, you're an idiot. That's what you are. Yup... sure makes a lot of sense...:rolleyes:

I ignore the jealously and hate often spewed on here when these upgrades come along. People forget this is the [H] and turn it into an argument. Whatever. We are all enthusiasts, we love this stuff. :) We need to remember our roots.

I ignore the jealously and hate often spewed on here when these upgrades come along. People forget this is the [H] and turn it into an argument. Whatever. We are all enthusiasts, we love this stuff. :) We need to remember our roots.

Not only that, but I probably look at this from a different point of view than most. Life is short. Tomorrow is never, never ever guaranteed. If upgrading your cards gives you the extra fps that you need and makes your gaming more enjoyable, go for it. If this gives them enjoyment, who are you to say otherwise.

Not only that, but I probably look at this from a different point of view than most. Life is short. Tomorrow is never, never ever guaranteed. If upgrading your cards gives you the extra fps that you need and makes your gaming more enjoyable, go for it. If this gives them enjoyment, who are you to say otherwise.

Couldn't have said it better! :D:cool:

Exactly and if an extra $150 ~ $200 really puts that much strain on your finances then you are in no business of being a computer enthusiast. Honestly being a computer enthusiast is so much cheaper than being an enthusiast in some other form of the hobby such as RC plane building etc.

I ignore the jealously and hate often spewed on here when these upgrades come along. People forget this is the [H] and turn it into an argument. Whatever. We are all enthusiasts, we love this stuff. We need to remember our roots.

We should also remember I think that yes this is [H], but that doesn't always mean throwing the most money at the newest bit of kit, it also means getting the most out of what you currently have.

Or it used to anyway.

Honestly... if Nvidia doesn't at least make paper launch at time the IIvy Bridge arrive, and I'll be building my new system, I'll just frget for some time for 3D Vision and get this one, and keep it until Nvidia's 2013 offerings

The thing is, that it uses less power then 570 and offers a lot more oomph, might even have same oomph as 570 SLI And after my last power bill, I was cured from any dual card setup for a very long time (same as I was healed from high overclocking :p)

Because a 6970 is $300. So AMD is trying to squeeze an extra $250 out of their fan base.

You can pick up a 580 for $480.

I'm all for charging whatever people will pay for your card. I hope AMD gets every dime as they need it. I also understand where people are coming from when complaining about the price.

The most I have ever spent on a card is two fiddy. So I think you are all crazy. :D

I'm in the same boat as you, max I ever spent was $250 on a Voodoo2. Of course, that was in 1998 and the technology was 6 months old. I don't think AMD is price gouging on this; they've set the price according to it's performance and the demand is there. I think your mindset is like mine; I'm used to seeing <$400 for the high end card and I wouldn't consider a $500 video card. They used to sell their high end cards for <$300, but over the last 10 years, they've realized they can get more and there has been inflation.

Do you remember the 5850/5870 launch? They actually raised the MSRP because there was so much demand and not enough cards! That's not price gouging, that's supply & demand.

Price gouging is retailers selling it above MSRP. So technically, only the retailers can do the gouging, not AMD.

The $500-$600 price on the high end existed since the voodoo5.
The voodoo5 had an MSRP of $600. There have been many high-end Geforce cards at $500-$600 MSRP. This is the first time a single core Radeon card went over $400. I don't like it, but I understand that I'm used to seeing high-end cards for cheaper and hated nVidia for having $500 MSRP's for the last 5 years.

Now that AMD is charging the same for their high-end, I realize the value for high-end single gpus is indeed $500+. In this case, I will settle for staying to the "new" midrange of <$300.

Honestly being a computer enthusiast is so much cheaper than being an enthusiast in some other form of the hobby such as RC plane building etc.

QFT. I just got into the RC plane hobby and have seen a few RC club guys with well over $10k in their equipment.

One decent 3D (acrobatic) plane will cost about $3k-$5k. A nice plane would be $5k-$8k.

RC jet planes with turbines can easily cost you >>$10k. On the other hand, I'm learning how to build EPP/Depron foam airplanes and they're dirt cheap at <$100 including hardware. The problem is that once you start building, you just want to build more and get new planes. There's nothing wrong with your "old" planes, you just want something new. So the value doesn't depreciate with age as much as computer hardware, but you can still easily spend as much or more on RC planes as computer hardware.

580 3 gig(which is the equivalent) costs over $600 how can anyone say this is an expensive card?!?!?

YOU GET WAY BETTER PERFORMANCE FOR LESS MONEY!!!!!!!

Nvidia is the price gougers cause I doubt they will price that card cheaper lol and I think AMD will raise the price shortly after launch

I don't understand why ppl praise Nvidia so much when they are usually so far behind AMD most of the time

580 3 gig(which is the equivalent) costs over $600 how can anyone say this is an expensive card?!?!?

YOU GET WAY BETTER PERFORMANCE FOR LESS MONEY!!!!!!!

Nvidia is the price gougers cause I doubt they will price that card cheaper lol and I think AMD will raise the price shortly after launch

I don't understand why ppl praise Nvidia so much when they are usually so far behind AMD most of the time

Because these cheapskates expect a premium product to be priced at bargain basement prices lol!

QFT. I just got into the RC plane hobby and have seen a few RC club guys with well over $10k in their equipment.

One decent 3D (acrobatic) plane will cost about $3k-$5k. A nice plane would be $5k-$8k.

At least when your computer crashes, you can just reboot. :p

I play on a single monitor and I am seriously thinking of getting a 7970 at launch. Even with my 6950 flashed to 6970 I get slight bog downs in some of my games occasionally running everything at ultra. Some games I don't even max out the AA. It would be great to run 50+fps minimum with everything maxed out.

Plus it would be able to last me a couple years and I'm sure there will be more demanding games come out during that time. Why not enjoy buttery smoothness in everything I play for now?

Who knows, I may even buy a couple more monitors at some point. Prices are dropping like rocks on them. I'd be more likely to get a couple more if I knew my card could handle it. Although if I did that I'd probably be wanting to get a second 7970...

I play on a single monitor and I am seriously thinking of getting a 7970 at launch. Even with my 6950 flashed to 6970 I get slight bog downs in some of my games occasionally running everything at ultra. Some games I don't even max out the AA. It would be great to run 50+fps minimum with everything maxed out.

Plus it would be able to last me a couple years and I'm sure there will be more demanding games come out during that time. Why not enjoy buttery smoothness in everything I play for now?

Who knows, I may even buy a couple more monitors at some point. Prices are dropping like rocks on them. I'd be more likely to get a couple more if I knew my card could handle it. Although if I did that I'd probably be wanting to get a second 7970...

+1
Im in basically the exact same position. I have a flashed 6950, 1 monitor at 1920x1080 and though im happy, in skyrim i get drops to 25FPS sometimes, in BF3 i can get <30FPS drops sometimes (detail at ultra, everything else on high). I bet i would get that 50FPS+ constant if i used my second flashed 6950 in CF, but im lending it to a friend currently.

So overall i am keeping my eye out on these 7xxx series cards, see if any card comes out that is as good or better than two 6950's crossfired, if so, maybe sell my two 6950's and buy it.

+1
Im in basically the exact same position. I have a flashed 6950, 1 monitor at 1920x1080 and though im happy, in skyrim i get drops to 25FPS sometimes, in BF3 i can get <30FPS drops sometimes (detail at ultra, everything else on high). I bet i would get that 50FPS+ constant if i used my second flashed 6950 in CF, but im lending it to a friend currently.

So overall i am keeping my eye out on these 7xxx series cards, see if any card comes out that is as good or better than two 6950's crossfired, if so, maybe sell my two 6950's and buy it.

that sounds like a very common situation
which is why i think the 7970 fits perfectly...

funny how so many people talk about it being overkill for one monitor but then you get 3 people in a row who agree it may be "just right". Guess some people just aren't [H] enough. :p

isn't it grand when you can have a discussion about 50fps ultra quality and you aren't talking max fps or even avg fps but MINIMUM fps? =)

Yea, I have a 6970 as well with one monitor and with BF3 and skyrim, I want to play those at 40-60 fps with everything maxed ( save for AA, i can live with 2xAA and be fine). The 6970 just can't handle that according to benchmarks but the 7970 does handle it. I'll be selling my 6970 to purchase a 7970 when I get home. Whoever said a 7970 is overkill for a single monitor at 1920x1080 is wrong IMO

funny how so many people talk about it being overkill for one monitor but then you get 3 people in a row who agree it may be "just right". Guess some people just aren't [H] enough. :p

isn't it grand when you can have a discussion about 50fps ultra quality and you aren't talking max fps or even avg fps but MINIMUM fps? =)

Whenever anyone says a top of the line card is overkill for a 1080p monitor, I always laugh. It NEVER is. There will always be games or settings within a game that will tax that card and bring the frame rate down to well below 60 fps.

I dont see a a reason to spend 600ish to replace my "6970" with 7970 but i might add another 6970 for xfire once people start selling those at cheaper rates.

People who ride the bleeding edge and complain about getting cut make me lol.

The more I think about it, I'm coming to the conclusion that it's time for me to skip a generation or two.

I'll upgrade my video card when I upgrade to an LCD with 120hz and 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 (if and when they're ever released).

7970 in 3 days! yay

Going to be be able to max games on eyefinity soon!!!

Nvidia sucks with there dual gpus only to play high resolutions

Where is the best place to find out about all the new stuff? (GPUs, CPUs etc). For example, i didnt know it was coming out in 3 days.

Back