7970 or 580 ? What do you reccommand for this rig (see rig spec)

There's my GTX 580 in my intel rig vs my 7970 in 3dmark11. Both are at their best air overclocks. 580 = 980 on the core, 7970 = 1200. 580 is on the left.

Sorry but what does protein has to do with explaining me "to Fold" in that context... ?

If you read the links given you would find it is a project to use the power of multiple home pc's to study how proteins fold which can lead to finding cures for diseases:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Nvidia cards happen to be better for this, but you can disregard that fact if you will not be folding at home...

There's my GTX 580 in my intel rig vs my 7970 in 3dmark11. Both are at their best air overclocks. 580 = 980 on the core, 7970 = 1200. 580 is on the left.

on what resolution was that performed ?
pretty damn good increase on the ATI

If you read the links given you would find it is a project to use the power of multiple home pc's to study how proteins fold which can lead to finding cures for diseases:

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Nvidia cards happen to be better for this, but you can disregard that fact if you will not be folding at home...

Thanks

imo, i think the driver issues will eventually mature as all of their new cards...

If you have the money, a 7970 is worth the investment now and would be awesome for future upgrades in xfire.

The new 1/9/12 drives dont work for me. They start to install then computer freezes and have to reboot and restore computer :(

Heard that 2x7970 Crossfire was a big up. not sure about the 3x thought... but maybe I could stay on a 850W PSU. which one you suggest ?

Thanks.. Think I'll go for the 7970.. i guess they will get better driver soon

1. like others have said get the 7970 unless you can get the 580 super cheap I mean come on $50 for 20% + more performance and 2x the ram whats not to like.

2. however if you intend to go xfire/sli some things to consider you can xfire 2 7970's on a quality 750 watt psu no problem 2. even though 7970's have way more performance Nvidia cards definetly have a leg up in multi gpu driver support.

You'd have to be crazy not to get the 7970 over the 580. You have to wait for the Nvidia 6 series if you want a comparison from Nvidia....by the time AMD gets the 7950,7870 and lesser cards come out Nvidia will have to be releasing and leaking info on the 6 series...so...just wait is my advice. If not read first sentence.

I think if you're getting a single GPU, then 7970 is definitely the way to go. It seems like AMD driver problems only occur with Crossfire, so it's more of a valid argument between 7970 CFX and 580 SLI due to driver support. If it's a question of single GPU, then the 7970 wins in all aspects.

Btw, I have a 850W PSU and it easily handles an overclocked 7970.

I think if you're getting a single GPU, then 7970 is definitely the way to go. It seems like AMD driver problems only occur with Crossfire, so it's more of a valid argument between 7970 CFX and 580 SLI due to driver support. If it's a question of single GPU, then the 7970 wins in all aspects.

Btw, I have a 850W PSU and it easily handles an overclocked 7970.

Well the plan was to go Crossfire eventually.... :S
Don't you think the driver issue might be solved by then ?

I still stand by that for what you want 7970 is overkill, but personally I like overkill too. You will most likely build an entirely and completely new system before you need 7970 xFire, from what you have said you need it for / will use it for.

I still stand by that for what you want 7970 is overkill, but personally I like overkill too. You will most likely build an entirely and completely new system before you need 7970 xFire, from what you have said you need it for / will use it for.

Lol I think you're right... but hey that's the vice of occidental materialist that we are

If you have time to help me for my mobo selection... I'm stuck on that for 2 weeks now... way too many feature to check...

Still honestly think its unacceptable for this.. But then again I am not sure if anyone else is having the same frustration I am having. :mad:

For years people have been complaining about crossfire and AMDs or ATIs drivers, for good reason, people dont listen and still pay twice the price for twice the headache, if you want dual cards go with nvidia, it works better, trust me. For AMD, you stick with 1 card and your good, with 2, your in for some real headaches. Just visit the front page of Hard OCP main webpage, there is a good write up about how great AMDs multigpu drivers are.

driver team tend to work with newer tech and generation more than the past and previous ones.
the 580 is old when kepler its the streets.

Buying anything now that's not on 28nm if you're looking in the enthusiast is an absolute waste of money. The 7970 so far outclasses everything else on the market it's not even a competition. I think a more prudent decision to consider would be to get a 7970 now or wait 3/4/6 months or whatever until a Kepler derivative is released. By all rumors circulated so far, the first Kepler part is going to be around 7970 performance anyway, so you might be waiting for little more anyway.

Yeah its really overkill dude seriously. Crysis 2 with maldo and quality mod + ultra gives 2338 vram usage. Please if you dont know much dont post :p

Yes because crysis 2 is the most demanding game ever and always will be. Why would you buy an older much lesser performing yet almost as expensive gtx580 over a 7970. It just doesn't make sense.

The 580 is a a lot cheaper not compared to the 7970. I just want new fucking 7970s with non reference coolers.

Back