7970 Fan loud during POST

OK - another stupid question, but this new (first time) computer build has me stressed out... I was playing around with overclocking my Asus 7970 last night and now during POST, the 7970 fan seems to ramp up pretty high and then settle down once Windows loads. I can't remember if it was doing this before. Just wondering if I screwed something up trying to OC??

It normal with ATI cards, but annoying to say the least. Is there a GPU BIOS tweak for that? I don't remember nvidia cards ever doing that.

my fans ramp up to like 40-45% (2500rpm) at most during the post. 100% is mega loud.

If you think this is bad, you should see what my HP ML150 server does during the post. 4 120mm fans spin at like 6000 rpm for 15 seconds before it posts.

My ol'5870 does it too. Wonder if it helps absorbing the shock & heat of going from a cold to electrically live chip.

You know... Like the BIG nvidia cracking chip fiasco.

My ol'5870 does it too. Wonder if it helps absorbing the shock & heat of going from a cold to electrically live chip.

You know... Like the BIG nvidia cracking chip fiasco.

I think it's a side effect rather than something intentional. Cold PCB just switched on would fail to heat up so quickly AND transfer some of that heat to the radiator for the fan rpm's to be useful during those couple of seconds. Also, watercooling users don't have any fans to ramp up at all and their cards are doing just fine.

Yup my 6950's, unlocked versions, do it too. Been a couple of times that they even stayed that way for about 5 min after windows loaded before finally settling down. Very annoying but I guess you get used to it, lol.

It's normal, probably a design feature to let you know instantly your GPU fan is working. It's when it doesn't do it you should worry :)

It normal with ATI cards, but annoying to say the least. Is there a GPU BIOS tweak for that? I don't remember nvidia cards ever doing that.

all cards do it.. the hottest a card ever gets is on boot which is why the fans automatically run at 100% on boot. but if you want to talk about annoying try the 8800GS/GT's with their single slot fans @ 100% on boot.. now thats effing annoying and loud.

I think it's a side effect rather than something intentional. Cold PCB just switched on would fail to heat up so quickly AND transfer some of that heat to the radiator for the fan rpm's to be useful during those couple of seconds. Also, watercooling users don't have any fans to ramp up at all and their cards are doing just fine.

thats because the water temp instantly transfers to the gpu, thus the system was off means the water was already cool. either way thats what the fan ramping up on boot is designed to do, its been that way since they started putting fans on gpu's. whether it is actually useful with current gen gpu's is a whole different thing but it will always be there..

all cards do it.. the hottest a card ever gets is on boot which is why the fans automatically run at 100% on boot. but if you want to talk about annoying try the 8800GS/GT's with their single slot fans @ 100% on boot.. now thats effing annoying and loud.

thats because the water temp instantly transfers to the gpu, thus the system was off means the water was already cool. either way thats what the fan ramping up on boot is designed to do, its been that way since they started putting fans on gpu's. whether it is actually useful with current gen gpu's is a whole different thing but it will always be there..

System being off doesn't mean water is cool, it means water is of ambient room temps. Same for waterblock and same for stock radiators - they all start on the same temp. I don't see how ambient room temp. waterblock is more efficient than radiator of the same temps. The time is just too short for any effective heat transfer. I still think fans ramping up is just a side effect or "default" mode when hardware has no drivers/control and possibly no internal temp readings. Once the temp info is in and drivers loaded it scales down to the then needed fan setting.

I don't remember my 8800GTS 512 doing that, but that might be just bad memory :)

I noticed that my XFX BEDD does not do this. I noticed it specifically because it's so quiet in my office when I boot my machine, compared to the 5970 that came out of the system. The 5970 did exhibit this behavior, and it was annoying.

System being off doesn't mean water is cool, it means water is of ambient room temps. Same for waterblock and same for stock radiators - they all start on the same temp. I don't see how ambient room temp. waterblock is more efficient than radiator of the same temps. The time is just too short for any effective heat transfer. I still think fans ramping up is just a side effect or "default" mode when hardware has no drivers/control and possibly no internal temp readings. Once the temp info is in and drivers loaded it scales down to the then needed fan setting.

I don't remember my 8800GTS 512 doing that, but that might be just bad memory :)

true.. i think the dual slot cards use a lower fan speed, because if i remember correctly my gtx 260 didn't spool up to 100% but more like 60 or 70% because i could hear it spool up but it wasn't ungodly loud like it is at 100%. but as far as my 8800GS's go they are ungodly loud. but then again i only restart my computer once ever 4 or 5 months so i could be wrong.

Might just be a feature to try to clear out any dust build-up.

Back