7970 CFX vs GTX 670 SLI

7970 CFX vs GTX 670 SLI @ the same price.

• Total voters

Digital Viper-X-

[H]F Junkie
for 1440p, and for the same price, which one would you rather have and why?

I voted 7970 CFX for the value of it, def higher FPS, on a single monitor I haven't seen many complaints about CFX. Iv'e run it before with Eyefinity as well.

one thing I hate about the 7970s is that they are loud compared to the 6xx series NV.

I might end up with either setup, not sure yet

Last edited:
Oh man I would like to see people's feelings on this. I have two 670s in SLi and in three monitor config I'm not 100% pleased with them. I've always wondered if 7970 ghz edition is better.

I voted for 670's, as I have run that exact setup with a catleap and it was excellent. I notice a lot of folks not liking 7900 series CFX although I myself have only tried single cards. The SLI setup will more than likely be smoother although lower overall frame rates.

TBH, a single card will run that screen just fine anyways. I'm running 5760x1200 on a single 7970 right now and it runs everything I have perfectly. I am going back to Nvidia as soon as I can get rid of this card however because I can't stand eyefinity, too many problems for me.

I've used both setups.
From personal experience, the 7970s just didn't work quite as well with the CFX and multiple monitor gaming combination.
The 670s work better with SLI and multiple monitor gaming, but the multiple monitor support, as a whole, feels more "tacked on"...

I'm running SLI 680s at 3840x800. A friend of mine is using my old 7970 in Crossfire with his 7970 card at 5760x1200. He just got it up and running last night and is pretty happy with it but is noticing a bit of microstutter. Mine's pretty much perfect. Voted for GTX 670 SLI.

interesting how many people will take a lower performing setup for the drivers alone :)

There's also the possibility for 3D Vision (Surround). Physx too but I don't know how much that matters. Being rid of the tearing/glitching in Windows has made me pretty happy.

Hmm I didn't notice any less tearing / glitching with the 680s when i had them, do you mean adaptive vsync?

Hmm I didn't notice any less tearing / glitching with the 680s when i had them, do you mean adaptive vsync?

No. On an AMD 3-monitor setup there is tearing on the monitor that isn't connected to the video card using the same connection type as the other 2. For example, in my system, the left projector was connected using the DVI port on the card while the other 2 projectors were connected through mini-DP (using mini-DP to DVI converters).

The easiest way to notice the tearing is simply moving a window around on the screen. You'll notice that at a certain point on the screen there appears to be a tear where the frame buffer is updated as it's output to the screen.

My old 5870E6 card didn't have any tearing but it also used all mini-DP connections.

As for glitching, the latest 12.11 beta driver caused even more problems on my DVI connected screen; missing updates, artifacts and flickering of sections of the screen.

There are zero Windows issues with my nVidia system ... and games have been better too.

Edit: Just realized I should have stated that the tearing/glitching was with my old 7970. SLI 680s have been great.

I'm running SLI 680s at 3840x800. A friend of mine is using my old 7970 in Crossfire with his 7970 card at 5760x1200. He just got it up and running last night and is pretty happy with it but is noticing a bit of microstutter. Mine's pretty much perfect. Voted for GTX 670 SLI.

I've heard someone mention they were able to really smooth out CFX on AMD cards using RadeonPro. Might take a bit to figure out how to use it but it could be worth a shot for them to try it out. http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/radeonpro_rc1_download.html

I notice a lot of folks not liking 7900 series CFX although I myself have only tried single cards.
song9-9.jpg
a121.jpg
song9-5.jpg
song9-4.jpg
12.jpg
song9-10.jpg
5.jpg

SLI
Smoother gameplay due to framemetering and another goodie that is coming soon, but I have promised my source not to divulge more information.

Editable SLI profiles: Low GPU usage, stuttering or no SLI profile at all (yet)? Just ask at guru3d forums, Nvidia forums or 3dcenter and mostly within a couple of hours you have new working SLI bits.

interesting how many people will take a lower performing setup for the drivers alone :)

You gotta keep in mind it took AMD nearly a year to come out with acceptable drivers, and its only with these new drivers that the 7970 has gone from a mid range card to a top end card, and even at that, its only marginally better then the 670. Nvidia has had rock solid drivers this entire generation and SLi works very well while AMD has had its share of CF problems.

I have used both setups but my personal rig uses 670 SLi and its been nothing but great.

To the OP, Id say its close, with the 7970 recently going from a joke to a contender and the 670 being a solid sure thing. Id still side with Nvidia for the drivers.

You gotta keep in mind it took AMD nearly a year to come out with acceptable drivers, and its only with these new drivers that the 7970 has gone from a mid range card to a top end card, and even at that, its only marginally better then the 670. Nvidia has had rock solid drivers this entire generation and SLi works very well while AMD has had its share of CF problems.

I have used both setups but my personal rig uses 670 SLi and its been nothing but great.

To the OP, Id say its close, with the 7970 recently going from a joke to a contender and the 670 being a solid sure thing. Id still side with Nvidia for the drivers.

I'm pretty sure AMD Fixed the tearing issue a while back, I have also used both setups :) well 680 sli not 670 in the past for 3 monitor gaming.

I'm pretty sure AMD Fixed the tearing issue a while back, I have also used both setups :) well 680 sli not 670 in the past for 3 monitor gaming.

I'm using a 7970 right now for eyefinity and the tearing is awful on both DP monitors. Also very noticable in windows and on youtube videos.

Tearing issue wasn't fixed for me when I ran a single XFX 7970 BEDD. That was 2 weeks ago on the 12.11Beta driver.

A little while ago i would have said 670 SLI, but i've been impressed with the newer AMD drivers and had no issues with my 7970 setup.

7970's for me, no tearing here! User problems, user problems everywhere! :p

But seriously, 670's if you cbf with tweaking and prefer an out of the box experience. You wont get that with AMD.

For this poll, 7970 no question. It's not even a contest.

However, if it were two 680s (4GB) at the same price (300~350 each), I would've voted for that instead. Too bad they're still all 500 dollars+... hah it's too late now.

Last edited:
Wow, I'm actually really interested because I'm thinking of buying a second 7970 around tax time.

7680X1600, 3X 30'' with 4X 7970 Quad-Fire.

No tearing on my 3 screens. Drivers 12.11 beta 11 are working perfectly fine.

7970 is ALOT faster then the 670 with 12.11 beta, and even easily beating the 680.

And the limited bandwidth of the 670/680 is a major problem for high- resolution multiple screens set-ups. Try playing at 7680X1600 with 680 Quad-SLI. I did try it. It was pathetic. Scaling was awful, bandwidth was problematic...

7970 Crossfire is a much better choice for the price then even 680 SLI. 670 SLI is totally outclassed, and shouldn't even be compared to 7970 Crossfire.

Well, I've been running 2 7970s for about 1 week now ( again ), and 2 x 670s are incoming soon. No FPS #s, but at least I can give my opinion on value.

Funny thing, the 7970s actually end up leaving more $ in my pocket.

If it were just 670 vs 7970, then 7970 for sure.

But with such a monstrous config, I'd want to use every feature of a game. And unfortunately that includes PhysX affects as well. Say what you want about it, but the big games that have it make a substantial difference compared to without it/off.

So 670 SLI.

Go 670 SLi,

I went with 7970 Crossfire with day one launch never before have I made such a costly mistake.

It could go either way. The main thing in favor of the 7970s is the 3gb frame buffer. The main thing in favor of the 670s is Nvidia's great driver support and physx.

As for 3D, Nvidia's 3D support is also reportedly superior but the 7970s are technically capable of doing it as well.

When I was running EF, I did see the tearing on the outside two monitors while I was in Windows. I honestly never noticed it while gaming, maybe because I was always focused on the center monitor? Whenever I watched video it was on the center monitor so again it didn't really bug me.

Anyway, since your plan is a single 1440p display imho it's a no brainer, just take the best performance. At the point that's 7970's, use Radeon Pro if you have any micro stutter issues, and OC them a bit and your laughing. RP is free and easy to setup.

i don't like how the 4890s aren't supported anymore so fast while 6800 agp is still supported from nvidia in windows 8 even. I've been ati this whole time but because of this driver problem i might switch to nvidia when i upgrade my videocards. What i worry about is getting a 7970 and in a couple years driver support getting yanked or even amd going out of business just don't know.

Last edited:
I own 680 SLI setup.I voted AMD crossfire.Cheaper ,faster and you get 6 free games.How can you not like that.

It could go either way. The main thing in favor of the 7970s is the 3gb frame buffer. The main thing in favor of the 670s is Nvidia's great driver support and physx.

As for 3D, Nvidia's 3D support is also reportedly superior but the 7970s are technically capable of doing it as well.

7970's can't do 3D in Eyefinity except with DP monitors. Even then I'm not too sure how well it works. Last night I tried The Witcher 2 in 3D Surround for the first time - I was blown away.

Back