• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7950GX2 Woes...

Soodey

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 26, 2005
Messages
150
As some of you may have seen in my previous thread, I RMA'd my 7950GT to evga and was please to receive a 7950GX2 in return. However my experience with it thus far has not been very pleasing. First I had flickering shadows in games, updating to NVIDIA's beta drivers (169.04) has fixed that, however performance is still rather piss poor. As in on par with my 7950gt or in cases worse. I most likely have the SLi for this card set up wrong or something, but performance was crap before I started trying to tinker around in the NVIDIA control panel.

Any advice on what I have to set things to, what to not change, make sure is enabled? Is there a specific driver I should roll back to? Any help at all would be appreciated because I'd rather not have to send this card back to evga saying it doesn't work in my system(considering I didn't ask for it).
 
Flickering shadows could be a driver issue which you can check by trying different drivers.

If that doesnt work then its likely that the card either has a fault, is too hot or the PSU cant cope.
If you can try another PSU we can eliminate that or maybe find it is at fault.

What load temps do you get?
Are you overclocked?
 
Flickering shadows is an sli specific malady. Glad to hear that got that straight.

Only problem with 7950GX2 is that some games just don't benefit from sli. In such cases you have neutered single gpu 7950 at 500/1300. OC that bitch to 600/1450-1500 and you at least have single 7950 performance in games that don't benefit from sli.
 
Flickering shadows is an sli specific malady. Glad to hear that got that straight.

Only problem with 7950GX2 is that some games just don't benefit from sli. In such cases you have neutered single gpu 7950 at 500/1300. OC that bitch to 600/1450-1500 and you at least have single 7950 performance in games that don't benefit from sli.

Sounds good.
Reinstalling the beta drivers again seemed to have fixed my performance issues. Before where I was getting 20fps in HL2:Episode 2, I now get 70-80. Happy times. Though even overclocked some games I get worse performance than I was getting with my 7950gt.
 
Make sure you go into "manage 3d settings" window of the nvidia control panel and set hardware acceleration from multimonitor to single/dual gpu performance mode. (cant remember if that one says single or dual performance but make sure to take it off of multi monitor whatever you do) Totally seperate from that is to make sure you have dual gpu enabled which should come up as soon as you open the control panel.
 
Make sure you go into "manage 3d settings" window of the nvidia control panel and set hardware acceleration from multimonitor to single/dual gpu performance mode. (cant remember if that one says single or dual performance but make sure to take it off of multi monitor whatever you do)

Yes I have this set to Single Display performance mode.

Totally seperate from that is to make sure you have dual gpu enabled which should come up as soon as you open the control panel.

Yes, under the "Set multi-gpu configuration" tab, I have it set to Multi-Gpu Mode instead of Multi-Display mode.

79503_G.jpg


However, back under the Manage 3d Settings tab I only have this:
79501_G.jpg

Single GPU is selected by default, however one would think that this should not be an issue due to the settings for each specific game that have their overrides.

For example in Half life 2: Episode 2:
79502_G.jpg

Custom is selected by default which one would assume is some sort of SLi doings.

So does all of this look correct?
 
Yes.
In the first tab (global) just let it stay on single.

Everything else looks right to me.
 
flickering shadows is something ive seen as well with mine, although the more recent HalfLife updates seem to have eliminated most of it.
 
Back
Top