7950GX2 problem

I have just received a new 7950GX2 from e-vga as part of the step up program. I went to install the card and everything started up fine. The POST screen was displayed and all was fine. Then when windows started loading, the card stopped displaying an image, and the start up sound was played in windows.

I have tried many things and so far nothing has worked to get my card working. Resetting the bios. Uninstalling drivers before installing the new card. I have tried re-installing windows, but the card stops displaying an image once the installer starts. E-vga has no idea why my system is acting like this.

Do you have the video plugged into the primary output? It is the one closest to the motherboard. The second port will not work until the drivers are installed sine the PCI bridge items need to be installed. VGA mode works without a driver, but not Windows.

Did you connect the 6-pin connector supplied with your card to the PSU and the side of the card? If yes, have you connected the 4-pin connector of your PSU directly to your motherboard? Don't get annoyed by the questions as I'm trying to narrow down what could be wrong. Also are you certain your motherboard is compatible with this vga? Also as soon as the card stops displaying, does a message of the sort of "No VGA signal" appear and does the display then go to "Sleep" mode?

I do have all power connections plugged in. Also, the display enters sleep mode, and the monitor does not display a "No Signal" Error message.

If it enters sleep mode that means that it isn't receiving a signal anymore. What troubles me though is that despite the vga rendering the image initially as soon as windows tries to load the vga stops rendering an image, but then windows loads normally as you can tell by the welcome tone you are hearing. It seems like as soon as the vga needs more power to function properly (when windows starts loading) it isn't getting it and stops functioning. So next questions are: What PSU do you have, how many Watts does it supply and how many Amperes are there available on the 12V rails? Also do you have another monitor around, preferably one with a VGA connector, just to make sure that the current monitor isn't causing it? If not try adjusting the picture position through your monitors own controls and pop-up menu. Last but not least, what motherboard do you have? Brand, model, bios etc.

Doing some research, I believe it is in fact my motherboard as it is not listed as being compatible. It is an Abit NI8-SLI-GR BIOS v.13

but to answer your other questions.

I have an enermax Liberty PSU. 500WATTS. It supplies 22Amps on the 12v rails. I have tried using a 4pin+4pin to 6pin adapter which would effectively be 44Amps. E-vga told me this is more than enough as the card requires 30Amps. I have also tried another montior as I use a dual monitor setup. But sadly, to no avail.

Well, there you have it. I am almost certain that your motherboard doesn't "know" how to supply your VGA with the bandwidth it needs properly. Though it is more than capable of offering x16 at the PCIe slots for a SLi configuration, it isn't configured to supply the x16 at just one PCIe slot, probably. You do have the latest BIOS for your motherboard, but it came out more than 5 months ago based on what I found on the abit webpage, so the BIOS update that would make this VGA work as it should never came, or hasn't yet. Your best bet would be to contact your mb manufacturer and let them know you want support for your new VGA and ask if and when the BIOS update that will make it work will come. There might be a way to get around the problem, but even if I told you how to give it a go you would still just get the performance of just one of the two gpus, so it's quite pointless. I hope I have helped you. Best of luck. Feel free to PM should you feel that I can help you out with anything else.

Try disabling SLi in the motherboard settings. I am not sure if it is in the bios or a jumper on the board for your mobo. Also make sure PEG link is set to default or disabled.

slavearm said:
Try disabling SLi in the motherboard settings. I am not sure if it is in the bios or a jumper on the board for your mobo. Also make sure PEG link is set to default or disabled.

I tried it with it being enabled and disabled.

your motherboard just wont accept the card, solution: get a new motherboard. It was a 50/50 shot if it wasnt on the list of motherboards that are suitable for the 7950, unfortunatly you didn't end up on the winning side. Solution: get a new motherboard. you can easily get a mobo for about 50-100 dollars that will work just fine. (asus a8n5x)

ITS WORKING

I had to reset the bios, then immediately start a windows install. So now its working :D. And the card successfully overclocked from 500/600(1200). to 600/800(1600)

Back