• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7950 Worse Computer Performance than 5870?

Joined
Apr 28, 2012
Messages
49
Overall, I'm very happy with the way my 7950 (Sapphire OC Edition) is performing. Between that and my new 3570k, Crysis 2 stays at a constant 60FPS with all the goodies on.

For whatever reason, compute performance seems to be WAY down. Folding@Home is only running at around 4441PPD with both CPU and GPU folding. My 5870 could pull over 9000 on its own.

Are 7000 series cards just not as good for this task, or is there a setting I need to tweak? I'm still very happy with the new card. It OCs wonderfully (Hit 1100 core with only a tiny bit of extra voltage, I need to find a tool that will let me go higher than that, Afterburner won't), the gaming performance is good enough that it's making me think about getting a new monitor (I've got an old Samsung 1680x1050), and the card even makes less noise and draws less power than my 5870. It just seems odd that computer performance is about half what my older card was.
 
Last edited:
The Sapphire OC ed should be able to go up to 1200 on the core. Mine did. Make sure you have the latest afterburner and that the bios switch is in the number 2 position and it should set the limit to 1200. Check the switch cause the number 1 position limits the card to 1100 on the core. Not sure if this will effect compute performance or not. Good Luck.
 
Where is the switch? I didn't realize there was one? Sapphire Trixx is taking it up over 1100 ok. I'm working up the memory and clock and doing performance/stability testing in Kombustor as I go.

I actually didn't know that there were different version of the F@H client. I ASSUME it's the ATI version, as that's what I would have chosen if I were prompted, but I'll check to make sure. I'm still not sure why my 5870 would perform better.
 
Spent about 30 minutes OCing, up to 1275 core and 1475 memory at 1.280v. I think I can probably get a lot more out of the card if I spend some time tweaking, but it's already running at just over 60C in FurMark with 4xMSAA, so I might not be able to get too much more out of it without putting it underwater too. I managed 1300 and 1500 stable through FurMark at this voltage, but backed it down for the time being until I can test some more. Still only managing ~8500PPD with both CPU and GPU folding. Definitely a screamer in terms of OCing capability, but I'm still scratching my head as to why my folding numbers are so low.
 
The switch is next to the xfire connection. Im guessing you found. Nice overclocks!! Im not sure about compute stuff because I've never done it. Good luck with it! Hopefully someone can comment on it.
 
The switch is next to the xfire connection. Im guessing you found. Nice overclocks!! Im not sure about compute stuff because I've never done it. Good luck with it! Hopefully someone can comment on it.

I actually didn't find it, Sapphire Trixx just fully unlocked everything. I may try flipping it to see if it makes any sort of difference when I do more tweaking later on.

I definitely think I got lucky with my card! Seems like it's a pretty good chip.
 
If your looking for overclocking just make sure its in position two. It could already be that way. That's how mine shipped. I think the #2 position has a more aggressive fan profile too but it sounds like your card it running very cool too!
 
If your looking for overclocking just make sure its in position two. It could already be that way. That's how mine shipped. I think the #2 position has a more aggressive fan profile too but it sounds like your card it running very cool too!

I tweaked the fan profile too. I just switched over to BIOS #2, and I haven't seen any difference yet, but I'll play around with it later.
 
Back
Top