7950 price hikes?

im not sure why now was the specific time to start using litecoin/bitcoin for the majority of people.

im not sure why now was the specific time to start using litecoin/bitcoin for the majority of people.

This is why.

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/27/investing/bitcoin-1000/

I thought the whole bitcoin idea was insane crazy, I only had a casual fuzzy notion of what it was and never looked too deeply. But after further looks there seems to be more to it than I realized. And those price spikes are what made me and throngs of others give it a second look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gERNbqUNMm4

Litecoin jumped from $10 to $50, at current prices I will make back the cost of my 7990 in just over a month.

It's not worth mining.
Go play some games.

:p

So you're telling me that each of my 18 msi TF3 7950's are worth $5k ? That's interesting.
All the Radeon 280x cards are out of stock and the R9 290's are going fast. At these prices, you can get your card paid for in <30 days.

There was a 7950 (XFX) on TigerDirect last night for $240 after rebate. I stared at it for awhile and then somebody bought it. :(

Sapphire 280x's in stock at newegg. Snagged two myself to join this mining craze :)

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814202061

and... out of stock 1 min later. :D

I'm hoping that the difficulty will only double, and there's a slow trickle of new video cards into the supply chain for the next month or two.
Otherwise, the difficulty will be rising up 10x and mining will get you 10% of the coins that it is today.
That's when new miners will stop building more rigs, when it goes down to $1-2 per day for a $300 video card.
At least, that's what happened this summer & fall with LTC. The difficulty plateaued for about 3 months and it wasn't very profitable. But I kept mining & saved the coins.

This is just great. I wanted to get Sapphire vapor-X 7970 6gb cards for neural nets. Those were the best priced higher RAM cards I could find.
So am I ever going to see them at sane prices again, if at all?
Is it true litecoin will also be pushed up to ASICs next spring as someone mentioned? Maybe then folks will be dumping cards

Sapphire 280x's in stock at newegg. Snagged two myself to join this mining craze :)

http://m.newegg.com/Product/index?itemnumber=N82E16814202061

poor nvidia, they will just have to wait until all this mining plays out, because a FREE amd card + some extra income, for a time, destroys their relative aftermarket.

let me put in 780 ti numbers....

paid for in... 3.5 months...

3.5 months with 290s...

month 1 ~ 290 paid for
month 2 ~ 2nd 290 paid for
month 3 ~ quad 290s shipped

month 3.5________________________ first 780ti paid for :eek:

month 4 ~ pocket ~1500 cash :D

Of course if everything crashes, then nothing pans out, but if those crypto currencies are here to stay, ouch for nvidia and all their fanboys, these are dark times.

I'm hoping that the difficulty will only double, and there's a slow trickle of new video cards into the supply chain for the next month or two.
Otherwise, the difficulty will be rising up 10x and mining will get you 10% of the coins that it is today.
That's when new miners will stop building more rigs, when it goes down to $1-2 per day for a $300 video card.
At least, that's what happened this summer & fall with LTC. The difficulty plateaued for about 3 months and it wasn't very profitable. But I kept mining & saved the coins.

Good thing I ordered quick :p it was max 5 a person so I am sure some people grabbed 4-5.

Can anyone recommend a good mobo for a mining rig? Would like to be able to have the room for 4+ cards :)

That's the part I'm really pessimistic about in all this. With the next difficulty change (tomorrow), the level is going to be almost double what it was at the beginning of November. Depending on the value of LTC it's hard to know if mining is a worthwhile pursuit. Of course, everything is about risk! :D

Just wait until the 22nm GPUs come out!

Friend says newegg's next shipment of msi gaming 280x cards is 2 weeks away.

AMD running out of cards is actually a good thing to help difficulty be more manageable. Already we will feel the effects of all those new cards mining soon enough...

Last night there was a cheapish ($280) 7970 on ncix. I haven't had the courage to go back and check to see if it's still available.

I just bought a refurbished 7970 on Newegg for 250 -5% off because of the mobile app. I just bought new 290s so I might as well use my old 7970 and another one to mine and see. I always wanted to try.

When I looked the other day, the prices on the 7950/7970/280x's were insane if you could even find one in stock. So I went with a pair of 7870's. I'll give it a month, and if I make my money back then I'll look into some new 280x's.

When I looked the other day, the prices on the 7950/7970/280x's were insane if you could even find one in stock. So I went with a pair of 7870's. I'll give it a month, and if I make my money back then I'll look into some new 280x's.

Yea, I saw some insane prices last week. I was going to just get another 7970 for my rig and have some fun but at those prices I just went ahead and got 2 290s and used my old 7970 for litecoin since my dad didnt want it.

I upgraded afews weeks ago to a R9 -290 but have been dragging my feet on get my HD 7950 cleaned up and ready to sell..hmm

IMG_1410.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, that Sapphire 290 actually has some graphics on it. I have a Power Color and XFX 290 and they are identical, neither has any graphics or anything to tell it apart. The only way I can do that is to read the stickers on the board with the serial number.

Not worth getting into in Australia unless you have access to steal someones electricity. Energy prices here make it a losing proposition.

I forsee many companies being forced to audit electricity usage due to parasite mining rigs blowing their bills sky high :D

I just sold my Twin Frozr III on a $450 BIN. Unbelievable. And also today scored a 670 FTW 4GB with XSPC Razor plus backplate and the air cooler for $350. Thanks Litecoin and eBay! I will gladly pay them their 10% this time.

So yeah if you have a 7950 especially certain models like TF3 known for mining well under lower volts you might want to post it up there NOW. All seem to be going for at least $300. The record so far last few days is $515, also a TF3.

Was trying to go crossfire now orginally and just 10 days ago passed up another TF3 for $190 cause I didn't want to drop the cash right then. Oh and then another on Reddit for $200 a week ago. :/

I just sold my Twin Frozr III on a $450 BIN. Unbelievable. And also today scored a 670 FTW 4GB with XSPC Razor plus backplate and the air cooler for $350. Thanks Litecoin and eBay! I will gladly pay them their 10% this time.

So yeah if you have a 7950 especially certain models like TF3 known for mining well under lower volts you might want to post it up there NOW. All seem to be going for at least $300. The record so far last few days is $515, also a TF3.

Was trying to go crossfire now orginally and just 10 days ago passed up another TF3 for $190 cause I didn't want to drop the cash right then. Oh and then another on Reddit for $200 a week ago. :/

hmm.... If I could get 290's now... that wouldn't be a bad idea.

MyUloCa.jpg

Last edited:
hmm.... If I could get 290's now... that wouldn't be a bad idea.

MyUloCa.jpg

I want to punch this man square in the gut....

For obvious reasons heh

EDIT: Seriously, not fair lol. I've managed to scrape together half a dozen 6950/6970s on craigslist and that's it thus far.

Last edited:
I want to punch this man square in the gut....

For obvious reasons heh

EDIT: Seriously, not fair lol. I've managed to scrape together half a dozen 6950/6970s on craigslist and that's it thus far.
I can't find any!

As soon as 290's come in stock for 399$, I am jumping on 3. Lets see 3 + my gaming rigs 290 mining @ 850-875 each card equals $$$$. If it all goes to hell, I will mine as many coins and hold onto them and then sell the 290's for a small loss, but not much. Buying 7950's is much riskier snice they are older tech. I am also hoping to get free power from work for my 3 290's ;)

I can't find any!

As soon as 290's come in stock for 399$, I am jumping on 3. Lets see 3 + my gaming rigs 290 mining @ 850-875 each card equals $$$$. If it all goes to hell, I will mine as many coins and hold onto them and then sell the 290's for a small loss, but not much. Buying 7950's is much riskier snice they are older tech. I am also hoping to get free power from work for my 3 290's ;)

I am buying up 290X's now. I just got 2 290s and I have been mining with 2 7970s. So far so good. I am about to pick up 4 290Xs and another 2 290. IF it all goes to hell meh, Ill still have 4 290Xs to quad fire and I can give my dad and bother in law the 290s.

I am buying up 290X's now. I just got 2 290s and I have been mining with 2 7970s. So far so good. I am about to pick up 4 290Xs and another 2 290. IF it all goes to hell meh, Ill still have 4 290Xs to quad fire and I can give my dad and bother in law the 290s.
Good god nice! I wish I had the guts to spend that kind of $$$ but I just don't. Even 1500-1600$ for the 3 290 miner is alot for me to spend atm(Still house poor) :p

Good god nice! I wish I had the guts to spend that kind of $$$ but I just don't. Even 1500-1600$ for the 3 290 miner is alot for me to spend atm(Still house poor) :p

I would buy the 290X's regardless of mining. When I bought my 290s last week mining wasnt in my mind. But I had my old 7970 last week so I decided what the heck why not. Since last week my 290s mining part time with my 7970 and the 7970 I just got today have gotten my 5 LTC. at $40 a pop thats almost half a card paid for in a week. If it goes under Ill just have a really good gaming PC which is what I wanted anyways. This build might by my last high end build so I want to go out with a bang.

I can't find any!

With a decent OC, I'm hitting over 500 hash per card on the 6950s (shaders unlocked) and the 6970s etc. For the prices I'm paying, it CAN'T be beat. (Especially with free power)

Hell, I'd scoop up 4-8 5870's if the price was right....

With a decent OC, I'm hitting over 500 hash per card on the 6950s (shaders unlocked) and the 6970s etc. For the prices I'm paying, it CAN'T be beat. (Especially with free power)

Thats not bad, I hit 850 avg today on both my 290s. It will peak at 1.1Mh/s for 20 mins at a time. I have my 290s at 900/1350 to prevent throttling.

Hell, I'd scoop up 4-8 5870's if the price was right....
good luck find those even at decent price.

Back