7950 GX2 Driver Settings

TrackZ

n00b
I replaced my 7800 GT SLI setup with a 7950 GX2 last night. I primarily play WoW. After playing last night, including a full MC clear, it seemed that FPS was actually lower with the 7950 than the 7800 GT's, which shouldn't be the case. My system is an Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe mobo (latest BIOS), AMD 4200+ X2 CPU, and 2 GB of quality RAM. 91.33 Nvidia drivers. I also play on a Dell 2405 with max settings.

I'm concerned that driver settings are probably to blame and wasn't entirely sure what, for a single 7950, the multi-GPU and other such settings should be. Can anyone with this card give a few pointers for optimal driver settings? Especially if you're playing WoW on it.

Thanks much.

WoW doesn't receive much benefit with multiple GPUs unfortunately. About a 10% improvement between 1 and 2 GPUs is all. You will pretty much get single 7900 GT performance out of that card in WoW with like a 10-15% boost at best with Multi-GPU enabled. If it is enabled in the control panel then it is enabled, it will be on "Multi-GPU".

While not directly your configuration, I have two 7950's and notice a very significant difference between one enabled and two enabled when running hi rez and AA settings.

System:
Falcon Northwest FX-62
Corsair PC6400C4 2Gb
BFG 7900GX2 x 2
ASUS MN32-SLi Deluxe (Nforce 590 rev 0404)
Silverstone SST-ST60F
Philips Brilliance 230WP7NS 23" LCD at 1920x1200 native

In WoW with only one card enabled at 8x AAS in real world use = 27-39 FPS
In WoW with both cards enabled at 8x AAS in real world use = 39-53 FPS

This represents a 70+ percent gain in FPS.

JT

While not directly your configuration, I have two 7950's and notice a very significant difference between one enabled and two enabled when running hi rez and AA settings.

Can you share your driver settings?
Are you running maxed AA/AF and all sliders in WoW?
When using just 1 7950, what do you set the Multi-GPU settings to? Auto? AFR/SFR?
What about the misc stuff like Conformant Texture Clamps and those other settings?

My MC combat FR was dropping to 12 - 15. That's way too low for what this card should be able to do.

Back