7950 Crossfire vs 680 SLI at 5760*1080 (Eyefinity/Surround)

Final8ty

Gawd
With the new drivers for AMD enabling their cards to establish a healthy lead over their nVidia counterparts at the extreme 5760*1080 resolution, I have decide to swap over and actually quantify the difference in performance to give people an indication.

The reasons for swapping was not due to VRAM or any other kind of conspiracy theory. Now was a good a time as any to sell up on the 680's and swap to what I believe will be faster triple screen performance and with the selling on of the old cards and the games, I can actually make money and potentially achieve quite a large performance increase. This is quite frankly ludicrous and nVidia do need to look at their pricing structures if they want to compete above 1920*1080.

There's a real lack of data around on Surround/Eyefinity performance and if you discount obvious bias even less! It's difficult to jump into triple screen gaming without knowing how your hardware will perform so even if this helps one person before they buy I'll be happy.

Testing machine:

i7 3770K @ 4.5 GHz
8GB of Geil 2133 MHz RAM
Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H with the latest BIOS
680 SLI @ 1270 MHz core and ~ 7 GHz effective memory speed
7950 Crossfire - speeds TBC

The nVidia tests were run on 306.23 drivers and the AMD tests will be on the 12.11 beta's.

I will be benching at a high overclock to typify what I will term, your average 7970 overclock. So an overclock in 7970 terms that the majority of people will settle on as not pushing the limits of the card to the extreme with noise/heat and a comfortable balance of performance. So with that caveated you will be able to interpret my results as within a percentage point or two of what a 7970 crossfire set up can achieve on the latest drivers. It's worth stating for clarity that I understand that 7970's may go further but I still feel this is helpful as a comparison of the card above my 7950's as well as a 7950 comparison itself.

Complicated waffle over... Games to be benched:

BF3 Operation Swordbreaker
Borderlands 2
Metro 2033
Skyrim
Dirt Showdown
Sleeping Dogs
MOH Warfighter
Guild Wars 2

Unfortunately my first 680 is departing tonight so I can't run any more than what I have already benched. The 680 results are already compiled and available in the OCUK benchmark thread.
http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18455827

1f6pv.png

6nF1y.png

Impressive results; but notice that they're not using Nvidia's newest driver, which makes the comparison less applicable. Also, and please correct me if I'm wrong, aren't most of these games 'AMD' titles?

Nice hand picked AMD friendly title selection....

This review shows a vastly different result.

Completely irrelevant considering the WHOLE POINT of the OP was to showcase the brand new AMD drivers that apparently boost the 7k series a good amount.

Where as at one point the 680 was a clear winner (albeit at a higher price), the line now is blurry where they are both essentially equal in performance, but the 7970 costing as much as $130 less.

Good on AMD for sure. Here's hoping that this will drive prices down and/or force Nvidia to throw out a new driver that also increases performance in everything.

See also the current Hardocp Review where a GTX660@SLI is better, Playability is better with SLI.

Back