7900gtx - turn off optimizations = X1900xtx IQ?

I believe that by removing the stock cooler, you are voiding the warranty anyway, so you might as well get the cheaper card.

Use a good screwdriver (so you don't do any damage to the screws), and in case you have to return the card put the stock cooler back on. Nobody will notice it. It ain't sealed or something.

I ALWAYS remove the stock cooler with every card i get, just to check if they applied the termal paste properly. Sometimes i could lower my temps with a couple degrees, just by putting some new artic silver on it.

Apple740 said:
Use a good screwdriver (so you don't do any damage to the screws), and in case you have to return the card put the stock cooler back on. Nobody will notice it. It ain't sealed or something.

I ALWAYS remove the stock cooler with every card i get, just to check if they applied the termal paste properly. Sometimes i could lower my temps with a couple degrees, just by putting some new artic silver on it.
technically thats still voiding the warranty but i too always remove the cooler to make sure they applied a decent amount of paste. usually i'll replace it with AS5.

Aztlan said:
I myself I am waiting for the Zalman VF900 to change the stock cooling with

Why don't you consider the Accelero X2. A guy on Tweakers.net replaced the XTX stock cooler with it, and is very happy. Dead quiet all the time and 3 or 4C degrees less idle temp., and 9C less load temps.
Cost around 30$.

dsc001439vy.th.jpg

dsc001516tu.th.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ArcticCooling/AcceleroX2

From what I have heard its nothing but issues.
It blows hot air right onto the Chipset it sits on top of. I dont know why they went with that design. Are they just trying to be diffrent and Cool.

{NG}Fidel said:
Where is your shop Bang?
MN. I sell only to MN and 4 surrounding states, Since service is a big deal to me have to keep it close to home so the cost doesn'y kill profits.

MY goal is 100 gamers a year. 05 I believe I sold 57. 06 isn't going to real good for me as . I really have no desire to sell people obsolete hardware. With Conroe R600 and vista coming . I have had 7 people ask for new gamers that I have turned down. as these are $5000+ machines. I just cann't in good conscience sell people these machines.

5 of the7 gave me the required downpayment to build their gamers when the required hardware is available and 2 others desided to buy now so I lost those.

3 of the 5 did however buy new x1900xt's with water blocks for there present systems. Since I make only $20 on these over my cost its not a big deal. But my integrity is in tact and to me thats a big deal.

Last here I was projecting 100 gamers sells for this year but thats just not going to happen .

I sent the Conroe results to the 5 waiting customers and recieved replies from 2 of them and thaey expressed deep gratitude on how I handle the situation and said those results were beyond there wildest Dreams. Wait until they get there O/C warranted conroe R600 Xfired Vista machines they will be happy campers.

I am really having a problem with Dell selling Intel machines right now as from my point of view they have no business ethics.

Mayhs said:
bang can u show me the pics plz?

The compare PC's are in the shop and I have no internet connection to them. I am looking into getting WiFI cards for them now. Hopefully next week I can go online with them.

Shadow27 said:
I disagree, since we're buying video cards which output an image, image quality is definetly a deciding factor for me. I would rather have a slightly slower card, but with better image quality. And since the x1900 and 7900's are so close together speed wise, the image quality difference is definetly worth taking into consideration.

But that's just me :)

This infact is the only valid argument that can be made. I couldn't agree more since graghics is about picture . Picture quality is the most important concideration

Since I water cool these other points don't impact me. But to be fair I have to admitt my daughters machine all aircooled does infact make a lot of noise. Having a racing background that noise doesn't bother me but it is there. So I can see were it bothers some. But the way you guys are using the noise factor of the X1900xt as compared to the 7900gtx is just wrong. As the OP has clearly stated the 6800's make more noise and you same posters that are cutting down the ATi product for its noise never had an issue with the noise of the 6800's series . THAT invalidates your post as being nothing more than bias .

$BangforThe$ said:
The compare PC's are in the shop and I have no internet connection to them. I am looking into getting WiFI cards for them now. Hopefully next week I can go online with them.

thnx :) so you own a computer shop i guess? do you get good business?

Well last year was my best year. and the only parts I sell are the parts we use. This year is going to be really bad . I just bought a Mill and lathe to do water blocks . We just got the first cpu block done and the test result were not good . 6c hotter than storm. well continue to work on it If I can get to within 1c I will be pleased.

I just sign an agreement with a manufactor for my Executive Desk PC with chillers so I am moving ahead on that front . You should see a review on that model in Jan. It really is a spectacular sytem . But very expensive . But my target excutive types can afford it . The manufactory I sigmed with has put in an order for 3 of these units . So i am ahead on that front,.

As far as 06 goes it looks to be a wash . But 07 is already shaping up to steller year with 5 gamers ordered with downpayments and 3 executive desk units ordered.

We are in the process of changing our business model . Since quality and service is our man goal . I can only do so much.

So I am going to make my employee's full partners. Since I am going to Do the executive machines and am solely resposiable for the service on them .

I have to give someone else the Gamers so we have adopted this model . He will assemble each machine and be responsible for the service of those machines . I felt it was necessary to give him 50% of the profits,

Last year my profits on the gamers only . was $28,500 . So his share would be $14,000

Now I know thats not a lot . But that was based on 57 gamers. That won't keep him busy I still will pay him for machining work he does for me. Since PC's isn't our only business there is plenty of work for him . Plus I now I have a very happy employee who see's a potentical to make a very good living . if we can build to 200 gamers a year that well give him wages of $75000 a year . Since after he goes over 100 units his share of the profits will be 75%. The model also allows him to build 200units a year as he is responsible for service of these units . Thats alI we can allow him. If we go over that number of units. We have to bring in a nother partner.

Needles to say if we expand to that number of units I will be very pleased.

Build gaming PC's / Build modified racing cars and there components My wife just informed me that the results I gave you were for 04 . O5 was better. But you get the point

oh wicked :) so i guess if u buy parts from america u could send me them to england and i would pay you? because for example the 7900gtx here is around $665 for the normal version :(

I would be happy to send you a card you tell me were to buy it at and I will get it for you. At no charge but you have to pay all shipping charges.

$BangforThe$ said:
I would be happy to send you a card you tell me were to buy it at and I will get it for you. At no charge but you have to pay all shipping charges.

:) how much is shipping?

I haven't read this entire thread but I know there is some misunderstanding on what does what, here is a bit of clarification.

NV's cards cannot do angle in-dependent AF, this is a hardware issue, the hardware is not capable of it. ATI's X1000 series are, this is their High Quality AF that is a checkbox.

This is completely different from filtering optimizations that "Quality" and "High Quality" control in the NV control panel and "Catalyst AI" controls in the ATI control panel.

Two seperate things, don't confuse them.

(ATI) High Quality AF = No Alternative on NV cards

(ATI) Catalyst AI = Quality and High Quality mode on NV cards. If you want to disable all opitmizations you'd have to set "High Quality" on NV cards and you'd have to disable Catalyst AI on ATI cards.

v6maro said:
so how do i turn off these optimizations??

read brent's post again

you just have look @ the driver control panel for the settings brent talk about

Brent_Justice said:
no, we don't do benchmarks anymore

...can you do an evaluation then please?

honestly if you did it would help me, my friends and all the other people in the same situation out a lot...

Mayhs said:
can you do some benchmarks please brent?

Yes, that would be quite the evaluation and would probably put an end to most of the bickering going on about those optimizations.

Increasing to High Quality on the 7800/7900 will disable the basic optimisations and is the closest you will get the ATI's default IQ and the only apples to apples comparision which has any merit when comparing these cards.

Here a benchmark that increases quality to HQ and even enables HQ AF for the 1900XTX so its not a true apples to apples comparision since the 1900X would be a little faster without it but you get the idea.

The X1900 comes out faster in everything but Quake 4 and does it with better IQ.

http://legitreviews.com/article/310/1/

Please note that for all tests, excluding 3D Mark 2006, Nvidia image quality settings were set from "Quality" to "High Quality." ATI image quality settings were left at "High Quality" with "High Quality Anisotropic Filtering" enabled in Catalyst Control Panel.

no, we don't do benchmarks anymore
Huh? Back in the 6800 X800 days we had benchmarks left and right. Now only when we are lucky do we get retail evals.

Shock_Hunter said:
Increasing to High Quality on the 7800/7900 will disable the basic optimisations and is the closest you will get the ATI's default IQ and the only apples to apples comparision which has any merit when comparing these cards.

Here a benchmark that increases quality to HQ and even enables HQ AF for the 1900XTX so its not a true apples to apples comparision since the 1900X would be a little faster without it but you get the idea.

The X1900 comes out faster in everything but Quake 4 and does it with better IQ.

http://legitreviews.com/article/310/1/
Thank you for that great review. I'm surprised more sites do not select HQ instead of Q, considering the massive differences (Waaaay less shimmering, more like ATI)

WIth Opts on Nvidia Cards are not as good as ATI cards in terms of IQ.
Reviewers seem to harp on anything ATI does but with Nvidia they treat them so nice. Its getting to be pathetic.

Brent_Justice said:
I haven't read this entire thread but I know there is some misunderstanding on what does what, here is a bit of clarification.

NV's cards cannot do angle in-dependent AF, this is a hardware issue, the hardware is not capable of it. ATI's X1000 series are, this is their High Quality AF that is a checkbox.

This is completely different from filtering optimizations that "Quality" and "High Quality" control in the NV control panel and "Catalyst AI" controls in the ATI control panel.

Two seperate things, don't confuse them.

(ATI) High Quality AF = No Alternative on NV cards

(ATI) Catalyst AI = Quality and High Quality mode on NV cards. If you want to disable all opitmizations you'd have to set "High Quality" on NV cards and you'd have to disable Catalyst AI on ATI cards.

Cat AI off>on doesn't cause shimmering, but switching form HQ to Q on Nv cards does.

Apple740 said:
Cat AI off>on doesn't cause shimmering, but switching form HQ to Q on Nv cards does.

Exactly, you can't really compare the two, if AI is set to standard it makes no visual differece soo why disable it for review/benchmark purposes? Makes no sence.

AI has two settings Standard and Advanced, Id imagine Advanced is more comparable to NV's "Quality" mode. :p

Considering these guys review tons of cards, you'd think they would know the difference between HQ and Q and CatAI On\Off :(

Apple740 said:
Why don't you consider the Accelero X2. A guy on Tweakers.net replaced the XTX stock cooler with it, and is very happy.

Link?

I see a lot of "blah blah my balls." but I don't see any proof. Give us a side by side screenshot comparison and then tell us green or red sucks.

$BangforThe$ said:
Well last year was my best year. and the only parts I sell are the parts we use. This year is going to be really bad . I just bought a Mill and lathe to do water blocks . We just got the first cpu block done and the test result were not good . 6c hotter than storm. well continue to work on it If I can get to within 1c I will be pleased.

Very interested in your block. If you'd like to upload some photos, I'd be happy to try and point you in a better direction.

I still think you guys are crazy, I've never seen a hint of shimmering on my 7800GT unless I REALLLY look, but I saw the same thing on my X800XL.

phide said:
Very interested in your block. If you'd like to upload some photos, I'd be happy to try and point you in a better direction.

Same here, I have no idea what Water Block I should get for my upcoming X1900XT.

DigitalN said:
I still think you guys are crazy, I've never seen a hint of shimmering on my 7800GT unless I REALLLY look, but I saw the same thing on my X800XL.

Chances are you are not on a 24" WS LCD, are you? Did you even read the [H] evaluation, or any other the recent shimmering topics? Shimmering is much more noticable on a large LCD, with a high resolution, that a smaller CRT and lower resolution. It also happens worse on Q, instead of HQ. The simple fact is, shimmering happens, and can be very noticable.

fallguy said:
Chances are you are not on a 24" WS LCD, are you? Did you even read the [H] evaluation, or any other the recent shimmering topics? Shimmering is much more noticable on a large LCD, with a high resolution, that a smaller CRT and lower resolution. It also happens worse on Q, instead of HQ. The simple fact is, shimmering happens, and can be very noticable.

I for one never use the "Quality" setting on my nvidia card. I bought the card for one reason and that's to play games at the highest quality. So that means setting it to 'High Quality' in the control panel, which in turn reduces shimmering to the point where I just do not see it at all.

Now I'm sure if you want to argue that you can see it on 'Quality' settings that's fine, but I never play on 'Quality' settings therefore I would not be interested in your argument. The simple fact that most people who buy video cards never venture into the control panel to change the setting from 'Quality' to 'High Quality' amplifies the problem of shimmering. I for one never see shimmering at 'High Quality', or if it's there, I do not see it, even when I look for it.

It is a shame that there is shimmering at 'Quality', but it's not too hard to open the control panel and notch that up to 'High Quality'. I don't notice a performance hit on my 7900GT :D

The only thing that I can see that's even remotely close to 'shimmering' is the shadows in BF2 have jagged edges, that bothers me somewhat when I have the AA set at 4xTRSuperSampling and everything else is straight as an arrow. Then you move around in BF2 and the shadows sort of 'shimmer'.

Hopefully a driver can fix this or something......

Back