**7900GTO Owners!** How high did your OC go?

My MSI7900GTO using the nvidia overclock utility goes to 693/796. Ati tool crashed at 819 for the memory. I haven't found my max overclocks (don't bother to do it yet ;) )

702/800 rock stable. At first nVidia autodetect got 735/784 but then it rcashed at those speeds. I manually overclocked the memory first and then the core and found those to be stable.

Hi all.
I have the MSI 7900GtO, Im @ 710 core and 800mem.
Forget what 3D marks are at the mo, ill run later and post back results .
:)

I have a pair in SLI, using the auto option, it detects a max of 700/760. It's been running fine at this speed. I'm assuming with SLI and coolbits, it clocks both cards the same?

Fast and looks great - 9,200 on 3dMark2k6.

Yea using coolbits im betting 700/760 gona try to raise it manually and see what happens.

Coolbits auto got my GTO to 700 core, 760 mem.
Running .08 bios and wow, runs much cooler than the x1800xt 512.

Manually running at 700/800 without problems. idles at 45C and load at 60C.

removed orig tim and applied Artic Silver 5.

Can I force Rivatuner to let me get passed 880? I benched at 710 / 880 and I'm trying to get to 890... Core will be tested now. This sucks, Rivatuner will only let me get to 725 / 880 before it says that it can't pass the "test". I'm pretty sure that this card has more in it, and really want to break 740/890...

Seongmin said:
Can I force Rivatuner to let me get passed 880? I benched at 710 / 880 and I'm trying to get to 890... Core will be tested now. This sucks, Rivatuner will only let me get to 725 / 880 before it says that it can't pass the "test". I'm pretty sure that this card has more in it, and really want to break 740/890...

Click here to fix your problem but proceed with caution. Usually you can only go a few more after that. Man I wish one of my cards could go that high on the mem, the core is easier to deal with with better cooling. Nice Mem Clocks BTW.

7900GTO 740/810 SLi [email protected]

aquamark32pr1.jpg

You'd think everyone would be able to atleast get to an 800 memory clock, but I can't get past 775. These things must have been severely broken when they shipped them as GTXs.

Psh...i can't get past 700 mem and still be stable. I haven't tried upping the voltage though...what do you guys think is safe?

uhhhh

can we please get over the rumer the 7900GTO is a 7900GTX.

The EVGA boxes that few people have gotten that have a GTO sticker on them, and when you peel them off they say "GTX" was just reboxing. the 7900GTX and 7900GTO have the same PCB, same core, but differant memory.

The memory on the 7950GT and 7900GTX are 1.1ns ram. the memory on the 7900GTO is 1.4ns. this is why it cannot overclock for shit. it is already maxed out when it is put on the boards. so unless you wanna pump some serios extra voltage into the card, i wouldnt suggest trying to push harder then <800.

this is why the 7950 and 7900GTO are so strange. the 7900GTO kinda sorta hangs the 7950GT out to dry, but at the same time it doesnt. the 7900GTO has a better cooler and a higher clocked core, the 7950 has a crappier cooler but higher clocked and better rated ram. so, imho, if you want a liquid cooling rig, the 7950GT is for you. imho, pcb manufacturers need to take note of this. BFG as i recall released a 7900GTX with an out-of-box waterblock on it (nice), they need to do that here.

The gto has a lower memory voltage then the gtx, and you need to mod the card to up the voltage. A bios flash might help with timings and such.

The gto was a gtx. They had problems with the memory, as many did (samsung i believe). So they downclocked and undervolted it to a stable speed. Its similar to the 6800 limited edition a while back. The card failed as an ultra, so the speed was lowered and got a different bios. I had one of those, mine needed a silencer to run at ultra speeds stable.

MrWizard6600 said:
uhhhh

Not a rumor at all. As DoughB0y said, it is a recalled non-Infineon based GTX that has been reworked with a voltage mod to the GDDR3. The card does use 1.1 ns memory like the GTX, but it is the older Samsung based card that had a history of issues. It also uses 1.4 ns memory timings due to the lower voltage. If you undo the IC change then you do have a GTX card, once again, wiht a simple GTX flash. The only issue is that this memory had a history of failing at 2.1 V or higher.

i want to buy this card too
i ordered 1 already but now im thinkin of going SLI..

NOW, i have an ENERMAX Liberty 500W psu.. does anyone here have a 500W that ran SLI fine? coz on the eVGA site says minimum for a single card is 450 and SLI its 550W.. so im kinda stuck whether to order one or 2.. i have used up my points @ NCIX to get free shipping.. wat do u guys think? Enermax 500W Liberty enough for 2 of these babies?

i bought mine for $257.99 w/ free shipping and a hopefully a 30MIR

277 shipped to my door

Well, apparently i have found the limits of my card: 720 on core. And its painfull. If i go 729, i get vpu recover.

MrWizard6600 said:
uhhhh

The EVGA boxes that few people have gotten that have a GTO sticker on them, and when you peel them off they say "GTX" was just reboxing. the 7900GTX and 7900GTO have the same PCB, same core, but differant memory.

The memory on the 7950GT and 7900GTX are 1.1ns ram. the memory on the 7900GTO is 1.4ns. this is why it cannot overclock for shit. it is already maxed out when it is put on the boards. so unless you wanna pump some serios extra voltage into the card, i wouldnt suggest trying to push harder then <800.

this is why the 7950 and 7900GTO are so strange. the 7900GTO kinda sorta hangs the 7950GT out to dry, but at the same time it doesnt. the 7900GTO has a better cooler and a higher clocked core, the 7950 has a crappier cooler but higher clocked and better rated ram. so, imho, if you want a liquid cooling rig, the 7950GT is for you. imho, pcb manufacturers need to take note of this. BFG as i recall released a 7900GTX with an out-of-box waterblock on it (nice), they need to do that here.

Nicely done. You got the 7950GT and the 7900GTO backwards. The 7950GT has 1.4ns RAM while the 7900GTO has 1.1ns RAM. Why 'it cannot overclock for shit' has nothing to do with the ns rating in this case.

Since the original problems with the Sammy 7900GTXs were only with some of the cards, it makes sense that some of the GTOs aren't making it to GTX memory speeds while others are.

Well I found my limit at 690 core and 800 mem, which Im completly satisfied with.

I am at 693/799
but i'm burning it in, maybe after every 2-3 hours i can go up another 3 on the memory clock

I finally got mine up and running :)

Coolbits autodetects 718/789 which is great, but I do get a few artifacts at those speeds. I downclocked to 700/780 and it runs perfectly at 49C.

I lost a bit of speed on the memory compared to a GTX, but overall the value is much higher if you ask me. $260 shipped for this? No problem ;)

7900GTO is a great card no doubt about it, but if anyone is in the market for some good cards you can buy my 7900GTX cards which are on sale here http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1110091 they get beyond GTX speeds at the 7900GTO Price. I'm selling a pair or even 1 at a time. First come first serve. Remember the GTO is a great card but it's a gamble as some wont overclock much, others will reach GTX speeds and a very rare few will go beyond GTX speeds. My cards have had the bios with the speeds below since purchase and have remained stable all this time.

Sorry OP I don't mean to thread hijack it's just that I am seeing so many excited people in this thread about the possibly of getting 7900GTX performance at about $300 that I wanted to present an opportunity to the right person who knows Lord_Exodia on the [H] forums can be trusted. :D

I finally got around to overclocking my GTO. I got it to 695 core and 820 memory. This card is a nice step up from my 6800gs.

quick question to all you 7900gto owners...would there be a half decently noticeable difference from upgrading from a 7900gs to a 7900gto? Managed to sell my GS for good price, wondering if it's worth the hassle and extra 40 bux for the GTO I ordered...

-Ashley

You get an extra 256mb memory. It is also a bit faster, I think. My card gets ~5900 in 3dmark 06 if that helps.

I just got a 7900GTO today myself. My best overclock at this point is 700 core, 800 memory. The nvidia driver simply will not go beyond 800.

I did use Riva Tuner and I started artifacting around 810. I will leave it at 800 and be happy.

I have read several places that the GTO has 1.4ns ram on it as well. That WOULD explain the price difference between, say, the MSI 7900GT 256 meg (which comes at 500 core, 1530 ram) and this card which was $15.00 cheaper but has 512 meg ram on board. (650 core 1300 ram)

At present, based on what I have seen from both cards, I simply believe that this card has 1.4ns ram on it. However, I think the higher priced GT cards (with 256 meg of ram) are using the 1.1ns ram.

I could be wrong. It's just a guess.

If you really want to know what type of ram you have, take off the heatsink and read the part number off the chips. I have not looked at mine (I don't care as long as it works), but all the ones that I have seen are 1.1ns.

Everything seemed to run fine at 702/800. When I clicked the "Detect optimal frequencies" button in Coolbits it came back with 690/752. When I ran 3d mark 05 and 06 I got higher scores with the optimal frequencies of 690/752. Why would 702/800 give me lower scores?

If I crank my core too high it would freeze in this one spot of the forest demo for like 10 seconds, took like 1000 points of the score. just lowered it by 5 and it's fine.

Well..my new GTO is so far sitting at 690/720 no problemo! It seems like its gonna go alot higher as it hasnt gotten higher than 60c running test after test in 3dmark05/06, but I ran out of time today to test it higher...more tomorrow!

-Ashley

Looks like mine will do 700/755 out of the box. I'll give it some time to get things broken in and see if I can eek a little more out of her. Considerable improvement over my 6800GS. Very happy so far.

I DO have Samsung memory moduels. I was unable to remove enough of the stickiness left behind by the thermal pad to get a good look at the numbers.

Back