7900GT KO or 1800XT?

apex32

2[H]4U
im going to upgrade and im not sure which way to go. i plan to get conroe later on and i run on a 20.1" LCD at 1680x1050. Useful opinions of owners and their experiences only please. No !!!!!! un-useful posts and/or flaming. thanks

pretty even, the 7900gt ko is a little faster at stock, but once you set the image settings the High Quality (or best quality in new CP) the difference will be gone. 1800 has HDR+AA and HQAF, and a louder fan (not a LOT louder, but it is noticeable since the KO has a bigger heatsink compared to default 7900gts the fan spins slightly slower)

It really depends on what games you play...

i play CS:S and plan to play new titles when the come out. want a great card for 1680x1050 basically with good eye candy

well thats not the only title i plan to play, i want something that will be good all around in every title, and be great for my 2005fpw resolutions. but i did hear that from someone about ATI and source engine based games, thanks foe the verification.

kahunaking said:
x1800xt would be your ticket then. The ati cards dominate the Source based games.

he's right, source is made for ati cards. i have a 7900GT though and it rapes as well. I play on 1680x1050 on my dell 2005fpw 20.1" LCD. 99 fps constant except in heavy battles with a lot of smoke etc. I also play with everything on high with aa/af. either one would be a good choice. If you can afford it though, i'd go with the 7900GT signature series. it's clocked at 600mhz and rapes face.

wow even the nvidia owners are saying x1800xt? i guess that tells me what im getting

if a x1800xt 512mb is 300 shipped and x1900xt's used are going for 50$ more on the f/s thread (where i bought one) spend the cash on the x1900 its a better choice

it's not that i'm saying that ati is better... i'm just saying that the source engine is built for ATI. However, I still bought my 7900GT knowing that because of a) it's lifetime warranty, b) evga's step-up program, and c) i was just getting tired of ATI and wanted to try nvidia.
I'm very happy with my card and it works flawlessly overclocked, and still get 100fps constant in source. I'm sure you'd be happy with either card.

I would go for the X1800XT for the eye candy. I've had both a 7800GTX and a X1900XT, and image quality is definitely in ATi's favor. HQAF is a must once you've used it. Either way, both are great cards for their price, you will be happy with either one.

rjblanke said:
I would go for the X1800XT for the eye candy. I've had both a 7800GTX and a X1900XT, and image quality is definitely in ATi's favor. HQAF is a must once you've used it. Either way, both are great cards for their price, you will be happy with either one.

well of course a x1900xt will look better than a 7800gtx, they arent on the same level man

I also recommend the X1800 XT 512MB, but get aftermarket heatsink for it though.

Back