7900GT Benches Surface

No, SLI in 06.

at least according to the pic :(

Who cares about 3dmark though. the 6800GT was a real underperformer in 2K1 and it did just as good if not better than the X800 at the time.

We need GAME numbers.

I am hoping those are all one card setups. Unless I misunderstood the pictures. A little over 8500 in 2005 with only a 1.8Ghz CPU and average memory timings, dont seem too bad. A stock 7800GT with the same surrounding components would have done around 7100 - 7200 Im asuming. PLus is there drivers out for this card yet? Give em time. ;)

hmmm this looks like a wait and see for sure. glad I have plenty of time to step up. why the hell run a stock clocked 3000? who does that really? lol

the 06' system only has 512mb of ram and a 3000+, kind of weak if you ask me, put it in a decent rig and i bet you will see a pretty big jump in performance.

I'm hoping that the 7900GT is close to a 7800GTX. That way I can sell my 7800GTX and go SLI 7900GT.

think im gonna wait on dx10 cards, not that much an upgrade if at all.

Wow with that kind of setup i am sure the 7900gt was just yawning at what was thrown at it. I mean that system only has twice as much ram as the video card. Then you get a low end cpu your choking on data well before the video card is even touched. So if those are the scores when it's being under used then i can't wait to get ahold of it when it's got abused by my 4400 x2 with a gig of ram (ok not 2 gig's but still better then 512)

troisanh your running 2 7800gtx's of course it dosn't seem like much of an upgrade this is the gt.

Taking these early benches with a grain of salt.... :rolleyes:

Lets wait and see what the [H] review has to say about them first! ;)

NEODARK said:
No, SLI in 06.

at least according to the pic :(
Minus the CPU score, SM2 2425 + SM3/HDR 2770 is slower than a stock SLI 7800GT (SM2 2797 + SM3/HDR 2737) with old drivers. See #69: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028870606&postcount=23

Even discounting the slightly weaker CPU (which has minimal effect on the SM scores), something isn't right about that 3DMark06 score or what we know about the G71 7800GT. ;) There's just a few more days until official reviews.

pxc said:
Minus the CPU score, SM2 2425 + SM3/HDR 2770 is slower than a stock SLI 7800GT (SM2 2797 + SM3/HDR 2737) with old drivers. See #69: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1028870606&postcount=23

Even discounting the slightly weaker CPU (which has minimal effect on the SM scores), something isn't right about that 3DMark06 score or what we know about the G71 7800GT. ;) There's just a few more days until official reviews.

You don't think the 512mb of ram could also be choking the score though? I mean most games push 512mb of data+ while displaying scenes. Now when all you have is 512mb of system ram i think your going to hit some slow downs because it will cache stuff then on your hard drive. There has to be some cpu/ram bias in this situation that is keeping is from showing it's true potential.

I benched a few weeks ago 3dmark 05 with 512mb and my score dropped like 400pts with a [email protected] and a 6800GT.

I assume 3dmark 06 would react the same

From what i am seeing it's not a photoshop. It's to clean and artifact free so if it is a photoshop it's a damn good job and a lot of time was taken to get the numbers aligned perfectly.

Not necesarily,

now, I dont have a HEX editor here @ work, but someone check for photoshop tags in the hex.

It doesn't seem right. Even with the relatively weak CPU and only 512mb of memory, it should score higher than that. Browsing the 3dMark05 compilation here on the forums all the sli 7800gts are well over 10k.

Reading through that thread, it seems the consensus is that there were some driver issues with the 7900gt SLI in 3dMark05 and 06.

05 n' 06 are NOT in SLi due to a driver bug as stated in the former thread.

:rolleyes:

I feel kinda cheated with those benches...I was hoping for some real gaming benches :)

3Dmark isn't the best measure of performance, and certainly not when it's being run on a stock 3000+, a half gig of ram, and driver issues.

troisanh said:
think im gonna wait on dx10 cards, not that much an upgrade if at all.

Going to have to agree. So close to the dx10 era that you'd be crazy to upgrade now.

seems like pretty damn good scores then for 1 7900gt
Still it's all synthetic

I'll say that the scores are going to go way up once they remove the RAM and cpu bottlenecking there. I have a gig of RAM, a GTX512, and a Opty 170 at 2.75....and my 05 score went up over 1200 points just by upgrading my AMD64 3000+.

With that strong of a card, I think that there is an asymptote of performance - the difference of how poor the performance is (due to "weak" cpu and RAM) is less and less. This is especially the case because the 7900 really doesnt bring that many new features; just speed. Once the processing and memory power is up to par, then true benchmarks will be able to be done. Until then, these scores are basically useless.

Yeah there is no way that its the real performance.

compslckr said:
the 06' system only has 512mb of ram and a 3000+, kind of weak if you ask me, put it in a decent rig and i bet you will see a pretty big jump in performance.
QFT, that card is WAAAY under powered, can we get some FX scores please :D

still seems very low even for single card... I guess we are stuck waiting a bit for more people to get their hands on them.

Seem kind of low. :( Bah, It's just a refresh anyways, I wasnt expecting too much.

we already established the fact that these scores are crap without a real System to back them up!

if that picture is real than im sure the 1.8Ghz clock speed and 512mb or ram is killing those marks.

I dont run 3dmark anymore, but it seems to me that the last one I ran (03) was very afected by clock speed and every 200Mhz yeilded great gains in 3dmarks. So basicall were compareing out 7800 cards paired with 3gb DDR and 2.5+ Ghz CPU to a 7900GT with 1.8Ghz and 512mb DDR...

in that case the cards dosnt look to bad...

Pretty funny how so many are basing opinions on an unverified benchmark on a card that is yet to be released. I prefer to hold my judgement until I read authentic assessments.

well just by the specs its pretty much a 7800GTx 256... so if these are comparable.. then... whoopee... ( sarcasm)

Yeah, those are probably not legit. I can wait to see the real benchmarks.

After reading through some of the posts made on this thread, I can't believe some of you are actually considering these benches to be true!

Wait until other people such as [H], Anandtech, and Tom's, just to name a few, get their own trustworthy benchmarks and evaluations out!!!

Pr3z said:
Going to have to agree. So close to the dx10 era that you'd be crazy to upgrade now.

Windows Vista will be a flop, it will come out when? Late 06? When will we see a DX10 game? Late 07, 08?

Back