7900gs -> 8800GT

Of course it's a great choice, but the question is what are your other system specs? Depending on those, you may end up cpu-limited and not be able to experience the full potential of the GT, in which case you might want to look at an upgrade, or wait until then to get a better card.

Good card, no idea if its worth it for you though.
It would be handy to post your current PCs bits, the res you play in now and intend to play in + the games you play.
Also do you overclock?

Current pc is a Core duo E6600 with 2 gigs of DDR2 667 ram, 680i chipset :-p Dell made computer tho. I would LOVE to play games in 1920x1200 but I settle for 1680x1050. I dont really play too much of the newest stuff but I would like to. Mostly games like TF2 and COD4. I perfer not to OC my hardware if I can avoid it :-p

Wow, Dell sells 680i's?

Don't let anyone knock your Dell if it has a 680i... the only reason people knock them is because they typically screw you by selling your system to you cheap, then when you open it up it has some proprietary motherboard and PSU which happen to be pieces of shit and limit your upgradability. If you have a 680i, that obviously isn't the situation you're in, and who cares if it says Dell on the box :)

Agreed, you'll see good gains.

I was one of the first buyers of the XPS 700 that got skrewed and stuck with a 590 Nforce board. Dell upgraded us with the XPS 720 board that has a 680i chipset free of charge ^_^ It was a nice gesture on there part I guess.

I was one of the first buyers of the XPS 700 that got skrewed and stuck with a 590 Nforce board. Dell upgraded us with the XPS 720 board that has a 680i chipset free of charge ^_^ It was a nice gesture on there part I guess.

I read about that in the news. It's good they did the right thing.

make sure your psu has enough to handle the 8800gt, i think its 400w minimum with 22amps on the 12 v rail.

I have a 750w powersupply thankfully ^_^ and two spare black videocard power hook ups :-p Cant wait till this card arrives, ill post a 3dmark bench on here for you guys to see.

I have an old asus a8n-sli deluxe with a socket 939 FX-55. Enermax Infiniti 720watt PS, 2 gigs of corsair xms platinum pc 3200 ram, a Sceptre 24" 1080p 2ms 4000:1 color contrast monitor, X-Fi Fatal1ty Champion pro series sound card and plenty of SATA HDD storage. I also have an XCLIO A380BK case with 2x250mm fans. So cooling is not an issue.

I upgraded from 2 ASUS 7900gs's to 2 PNY 8800gt's and I have to say that the performance increase was amazing. I went from not being able to play Crysis at medium settings after I got my 24" 1080p widescreen lcd, to playing at 1900x1200 on 85% high settings, the rest medium. Same deal with COD4 except all of the bells and whistles are turned all the way up @ 1900x1200. I've done a 10% overclock on all of my components however, except for the video cards.

I know my board and CPU are sub-par, but it's as much as I can afford right now. I got both cards for $414 free shipping from Dell after the MSI 8800gt fiasco. Regardless, I am getting 250fps in counter-strike source, (settings maxed) and 120fps in COD4 with settings maxed. Crysis is 20-60fps.

(Note: I also use Diskeeper 2008 and ccleaner to keep my hard drive squeaky clean at all times. My XP pro install is over a year old and still responds like it's a brand-new build.)

Currently I have a 7900gs and was wondering if you think its worth a upgrade to this card, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127329 Any imput on this choice? have a better card you would suggest?

I did the same upgrade a couple of weeks ago, almost the same rig as you, but I have a slower Core Duo and an older motherboard with an Intel chipset. I had a 7900gs and went to an 8800gt. The difference is amazing. I can actually play Crysis now, and Bioshock looks better than ever. Well worth the money in my opinion.

awesome! have you tried out any games yet? hopefully you're too busy playing for the next week to read/reply here :)

can you post your cpu temp and gpu temp and also how far can you OC them? the reason is im in the same boat as you (dell Xps 700->720mobo) and we share the same proc too and the same video card too:):)

heres my score and gpuz

gpuzfi1.jpg

3dmark06ei0.jpg

I wonder what makes the 1k gap for the score?

Im using XP 32 and the latest driver i suppose.

Thats weird, well my CPU score is 200 more than yours, besides that, your card should of scored about the same as mine :-\ Try running the test with the slider in the Nvidia control panel all the way to high performance. I think thats the setting I use normally.

got it to be around 10k. reinstall 3dmark06 and pull out 1GB stick out of the PC. I think the memory is not running in dual channel since theres 3X1gb so 2X1gb works fine for me

Back