• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7900 XTX OC has no effect?

Nebell

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 20, 2015
Messages
2,501
I have PowerColor 7900 XTX Red Devil LE which seems to have no performance difference regardless if I run +15% power limit or -10% power limit.
The games I tried it in I saw literally no difference. I think in some cases the fps might be a fraction lower.
I also made sure to turn off FPS limit and V-Sync to get max clocks/fps possible.

Settings:
Frequency: 2400MHz / 2800MHz (min/max)
Voltage: 1150mV (it works so-so if I go below 1130mV)
Vram: 2714MHz
Power Limit: +15%
Max Fan Speed: 65%

Frequency: 2400MHz / 2800MHz (min/max)
Voltage: 1075mV
Vram: 2714MHz
Power Limit: -10%
Max Fan Speed: 65%

GPU and hotspot temps were fine in both cases, GPU being about 55-62C and Hotspot around 80C.
The frequency was lower on -10% PL, but the difference wasn't massive. I think in Fortnite I had about the same frequency around 2600MHz in both cases.

Do I just have a terrible overclocker?
 
Nope 2600 is really the sweet spot for these gpus. Running OC ram uses some of the power budget allotted as well so YMMV. I tune mine for lowest power consumption @ 2605Mhz and just let it do it's thing. Found this out during extensive testing for VR @19.5 Mpixels. 2600Mhz provides very steady FPS without exceeding power limits of the silicon/GPU causing power throttling and frame stutter. Haven't really tested as thoroughly for flat panels as it easily runs my 1440P monitor at it's native res and refresh(1440P/100Hz) so it's unnecessary for me to bother.
 
i havent played with the 7000 series but with my 5/6000 i cranked everything to max, found the top speed it would go and then started dialling back the voltage until i got issues and upped it a bit. i also got better results just using AB....
 
After some testing, the difference depends on thegame, but at most I saw about 5 fps difference.
For example Fortnite show no difference while Diablo 4 show about 5 fps. But the fortnite is at about 80 fps and Diablo 4 at 160 fps so those 5 fps difference don't matter to me as I run a 4k/120hz screen.
But Power draw went from 431w to 338w as well as a few degrees lower GPU/Hotspot (wasn't bad before either).
 
Yea same here 335-345 watts is really the optimal power target. Anything more than that is just for e peen and generates more heat than FPS.
 
After some testing, the difference depends on thegame, but at most I saw about 5 fps difference.
For example Fortnite show no difference while Diablo 4 show about 5 fps. But the fortnite is at about 80 fps and Diablo 4 at 160 fps so those 5 fps difference don't matter to me as I run a 4k/120hz screen.
But Power draw went from 431w to 338w as well as a few degrees lower GPU/Hotspot (wasn't bad before either).

All the top cards are like this, even the 4090. They're pretty well maxed out for efficiency with a safety margin. I ran my 7900XTX cards undervolted as well, losing less than 5% performance to save 50-100W of heat is well worth it.
 
Back
Top