7900 vs 7900x vs 7800x3d

db3

n00b
I was planning to build a power efficient ryzen 7900 system once prices dropped, but now it seems only Amazon and Newegg have any in stock, and they re not cheap by comparison to newer models.
However, I m seeing 7900x now selling for under 350.00 new on Ebay, but hard to find a 7900 non-x anywhere out there, even used.
Has anyone found 7900x to be stable when undervolted but also under 60+% load? I've read reports of dropping the power consumption down to the 115 range but not actually exchanged info with anyone who's been successful running at that threshold.

I was planning to build a power efficient ryzen 7900 system once prices dropped, but now it seems only Amazon and Newegg have any in stock, and they re not cheap by comparison to newer models.
However, I m seeing 7900x now selling for under 350.00 new on Ebay, but hard to find a 7900 non-x anywhere out there, even used.
Has anyone found 7900x to be stable when undervolted but also under 60+% load? I've read reports of dropping the power consumption down to the 115 range but not actually exchanged info with anyone who's been successful running at that threshold.

Eco mode, it’s the same thing. The non-x is just a lower binned chip with eco mode on out of the box. If you turn on PBO they basically function the same.

Thank you for the feedback guys, that helped my understanding. For the price point on deals these days it looks like there's not much reason not to go X.

I have the 7900 and I love it. It was cheap as hell when I bought it, turned on PBO in BIOS and slapped a 360mm AIO on it. It performs similarly to a 7900X and still stays pretty cool. I play games at 4K / 144hz and don’t think the gaming difference to step up to the X or X3D variants is worth it for what I want out of this PC.

People act like you can’t play games if you don’t get an X3D, but really these Zen 4 chips are all leagues ahead of most other CPUs on the market and Intel can only keep up by sucking down huge power.

I have a 7950x , a 7800x3d and a 5800x - the 7950x runs a little hot, the 7800x3d does strange things. Its definately not as stable as the other two processors. I get random crashes for no good reason - reminds me of the old celeron days... Crashes for no good reason just out of the blue...

I have a 7950x , a 7800x3d and a 5800x - the 7950x runs a little hot, the 7800x3d does strange things. It’s definately not as stable as the other two processors. I get random crashes for no good reason - reminds me of the old celeron days... Crashes for no good reason just out of the blue...
I run a 7800X3D and don’t get random crashes, perhaps something is wrong with your build? I’m using a Gigabyte B650 MDS3H, G Skill Flare X5 6000, 7900 XT. I had some issues with stability before I did a full windows (10) reinstall and used AMD’s drivers from their website. I assume you got good airflow, your cooling system is adequate, etc.

Same here. I didn't even reinstall windows. I just loaded up my 7800X3D setup on same windows as my 5800X3D setup which shared same windows as 5900X, 5600X and the Intel system I had before it all.
Also try to run Windows 11. Windows 10 is for all practical purposes worthless right now.

Windows 10 is for all practical purposes worthless right now.
Windows 10 will continue to receive updates until October, 2025. I daily drive it at home and work. Much prefer it over Windows 11. I think DirectStorage would be the only compelling reason to use Windows 11. I take 100% the opposite opinion and would say Windows 11 is for all practical purposes worthless right now.

P.S. Windows 10 is faster

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEns1LTicXI

Does PBO on a 7900X clock higher than PBO on a 7900? Because with PBO on my 7900 is hitting or exceeding 7900X stock speeds, but maybe the -X chips have more PBO headroom? Otherwise it seems like the same chip only cheaper and with a free RGB heatsink.

Back