7900 GTX works at 650 MHz (merged)

Well, if they aren't beefing up the architecture, maybe they'll have a dual card and quad SLI ready. Now, if they sell these at $1k, $2k for a pair, the performace would probably be amazing, and at $2k, not super high though very exspensive for an architecture that near end of life.

Well, only about two weeks to go, though I'm am a little suprised that we don't have more specifics. Most cards that have come out recently have pretty much been well confirmed with accurate specs at this point, so I am kinda wondering what's going on here.

Rollo said:
Yes, but for every other generation nVidia has led them in speed, except the 6800 generation, where the 6800s led in OpenGL, Linux speed, and feature set.

I don't think ATI will enjoy the clear advantage they had in 9700 vs 5800 days anytime soon.

Even a what would basically be a 650MHz 512MB GTX would win many benchmarks over a X1900XTX. And a 32 pipe card? My hunch is that might win ALL benches.

When you consider the multi card angle, and how many people have SLi motherboards compared to Crossfire motherboards, a lot of people might opt for 5fps at FEAR and no HDR+AA.

Time will tell.

Wrong, the x800s > 6 series (x850xt vs 6800u). There are more d3d games than ogl and in ogl a x850 matched a 6 series. The x1800xt performed better than the 7800gtx, then the gtx512 came out, then the x1900xt came out, now we wait for g80.

heatlesssun said:
Well, if they aren't beefing up the architecture, maybe they'll have a dual card and quad SLI ready. Now, if they sell these at $1k, $2k for a pair, the performace would probably be amazing, and at $2k, not super high though very exspensive for an architecture that near end of life.

Well, only about two weeks to go, though I'm am a little suprised that we don't have more specifics. Most cards that have come out recently have pretty much been well confirmed with accurate specs at this point, so I am kinda wondering what's going on here.

Try this on for size, 7900GT quad sli for 1,400 ..... with each double pcb board nearly as powerfull as two 7800gtx 512s ?

No matter how you look at it, if it's not a 32 pipe mass availabile part, it will be quite disappionting given all the hype. At 650 mhz and 24 pipes, it will still lack the nice angle independent AF (along with small perf. penalty) that ATi enjoys as well as HDR+AA. Furthermore, while it may win in older games, it will still likely lose in shader heavy games. I wouldn't put it past nVidia to release a limited edition 32 pipe card for PR purposes though like they did the 512 GTX. Anyway, if their mass available part is indeed 24 pipes, all ATi needs to do is up the memory and core speed slightly and release a PE edition to hold the crown.

"As long as it can ship millions of these chips at 550 MHz, a speed desired by Sony, Nvidia is fine"

Maybe they arent as worried about speed because they have that big fat Sony contract?

jacuzz1 said:
Try this on for size, 7900GT quad sli for 1,400 ..... with each double pcb board nearly as powerfull as two 7800gtx 512s ?

Now that would be a heck of a deal I think. I they can hit that price point and it be as powerful as I think, wide screen hi res gamers, 1920x1200 and beyond, well, this would be the setup for that type of monitor.

But I kinda doubt it would be that cheap. That would cream CrossFire. Roughly twice the power at only 25% more cost? That would be amazing and I would definately pick this up, even if it is end of life technology.

I've been kinda waiting for the setup that will run at 1920x1200 to my statisfaction and this may be the ticket!

spaceman said:
lol dumbass dissing rollo!

rollo is a prized commodity around here be nice.

I sure look forward to see what the 7900 can do in Sli. More interested in dx10 title getting here already but if wishes were $$$ we'd all be fat right?

Hmm- the "prized commodity" thanks you! ;)

5150Joker said:
No matter how you look at it, if it's not a 32 pipe mass availabile part, it will be quite disappionting given all the hype. At 650 mhz and 24 pipes, it will still lack the nice angle independent AF (along with small perf. penalty) that ATi enjoys as well as HDR+AA. Furthermore, while it may win in older games, it will still likely lose in shader heavy games. I wouldn't put it past nVidia to release a limited edition 32 pipe card for PR purposes though like they did the 512 GTX. Anyway, if their mass available part is indeed 24 pipes, all ATi needs to do is up the memory and core speed slightly and release a PE edition to hold the crown.

And Joker says this from his Fond understanding of engineering and game coding. Seriously, What do you know about what these clocks and pipes will do to the cards capabilities? :rolleyes: I say at 650 it will be faster since the 512MB 7800 @ 550 gives the X1900XTX a run for it's money. Lets see when a 700mhz 7900 it pitted against it.

Lets wait till it comes out, and it's weighed and measured before you diehard ATI fans come plainting your flag and claiming victory.

Lord_Exodia said:
And Joker says this from his Fond understanding of engineering and game coding. Seriously, What do you know about what these clocks and pipes will do to the cards capabilities? :rolleyes: I say at 650 it will be faster since the 512MB 7800 @ 550 gives the X1900XTX a run for it's money. Lets see when a 700mhz 7900 it pitted against it.

Lets wait till it comes out, and it's weighed and measured before you diehard ATI fans come plainting your flag and claiming victory.

Because genius, if the rumors are true, it will have a decrease in memory bandwidth compared to the 512 GTX which already struggles against the XTX and and only a 100 mhz increase in core speed. That won't help it much in shader intensive games nor for high resolution + AA scenarios. If the specs are true, this release won't be anything special since it will essentially be a die shrunk 512 GTX that still lacks in features. nVidia will have a solid card on their hands but not really enough to topple a standard XTX aside from OpenGL titles.

5150Joker said:
Because genius, if the rumors are true, it will have a decrease in memory bandwidth compared to the 512 GTX which already struggles against the XTX and and only a 100 mhz increase in core speed. That won't help it much in shader intensive games nor for high resolution + AA scenarios. If the specs are true, this release won't be anything special since it will essentially be a die shrunk 512 GTX that still lacks in features. nVidia will have a solid card on their hands but not really enough to topple a standard XTX aside from OpenGL titles.

I wont speculate as to how it performs despite what the specs are. It's so close that I guess we shall see. ;)

Lord_Exodia said:
I wont speculate as to how it performs despite what the specs are. It's so close that I guess we shall see. ;)

Yep we will. I'm actually hoping these rumors turn out false and nVidia releases a 32 pipe monster card that's available everywhere at a reasonable price. Hell I'm even hoping they went the extra mile and added in angle independent AF that doesn't take a huge performance hit like their FX series did. If they could pull that off, I'd gladly sell my XTX and buy a G71 and maybe even SLI.

Lord_Exodia said:

Not at all, bf2, cod2, and fear are games where the x1900xt has close to a 30% advantage, somtimes it's closer to 50%. Those seem to be the biggest games right now. Another 100MHz on the core isn't going to give it that 30%.

Sigh, my poor 6800GT :p

I'll wait untill the first gen DX10 cards are out before I upgrade again. I will probably wait untill both companys show their cards and then pick the best out of the bunch :)

None of the newer cards impress me so far, since all I play is CS:S :)

Don't know why there isn't more talk of this, but the real feature of this card is probably going to quad SLI. If it could be had at something like a $1400 price point, and not take ridiculous amounts of power, it could be a very impressive offering.

So while 7900 may not be the fastest single part, there's nothing ATI has that could compete with quad SLI anytime soon, at least in terms of raw power. I think that this is the angle with this series.

Isaacav2 said:
Sigh, my poor 6800GT :p

I'll wait untill the first gen DX10 cards are out before I upgrade again. I will probably wait untill both companys show their cards and then pick the best out of the bunch :)

None of the newer cards impress me so far, since all I play is CS:S :)

The current series of cards from both ATI and nVidia are quite a ramp up from the 6800GT. My last gaming rig was a 3400+ 6800GT machine, and there's simply no comparision between it and a even single 512 GTX, let alone SLI.

heatlesssun said:
The current series of cards from both ATI and nVidia are quite a ramp up from the 6800GT. My last gaming rig was a 3400+ 6800GT machine, and there's simply no comparision between it and a even single 512 GTX, let alone SLI.

Yeah, I would upgrade if I could afford a new high resolution display to replace my 19" CRT monitor along with a new videocard.

All I play is CS:S anyways, so I really see no reason to upgrade untill I see a good DX 10 games and some great DX 10 cards :)

heatlesssun said:
Don't know why there isn't more talk of this, but the real feature of this card is probably going to quad SLI. If it could be had at something like a $1400 price point, and not take ridiculous amounts of power, it could be a very impressive offering.

So while 7900 may not be the fastest single part, there's nothing ATI has that could compete with quad SLI anytime soon, at least in terms of raw power. I think that this is the angle with this series.

Quad sli? That would have massive power draw. I would say AT LEAST 80 watts per card. Not to mention dealing with the heat, and I wouldn't want to build a quad sli system. Seems that nv is getting lazy, instead of building a better gpu, they just want to throw more gpu's into the equation. Not a good way to do it imo. I'm hoping nv doesn't go this way, the rest of the industry will then begin to go this way. :(

They've been pretty accurate over the last few months. They've been dead on with launch dates and features when it came to 512 GTX, X1900 and FX-60.

Not 100%, but when it has come to these product launches, their info was very good.

heatlesssun said:
They've been pretty accurate over the last few months. They've been dead on with launch dates and features when it came to 512 GTX, X1900 and FX-60.

Not 100%, but when it has come to these product launches, their info was very good.

Exactly.

After days of darkness my forum famous crystal ball just showed me the future again. Here it is. The specs released by the inquirer are... TRUE. However, Nvidia did something else to the card. It is completely quiet and even most nvidia partners know nothing of it except for the few point of contacts in those companies. Secrets are hard to keep but they intend to keep this quiet until cebit for the launch.

The card will be a beast. Not thrashing ATI like a 32 pipeline monster would but it will be more formidable than reading these specs will lead one to think.

The crystal ball never lies. :D

I think this "HDR+AA" stuff I keep seeing all the time should be changed to "floating point buffer HDR+AA".

I'm sure most people look at it and know what's going on, but a lot of people don't, and it has the potential to be somewhat misleading.

G71 with 24 pipes/650MHz will surpass the XTX in some scenarios. G71 with 32 pipes/650MHz will surpass the XTX in nearly all scenarios. We're still at the point where adding traditional pixel pipeline quads is better than cramming in pixel shader processors in excess.

maybe if it has 24 'pipes' with more/extra shader units, sort of following ATi's lead on that for shader heavy apps, which seem to be gaining in popularity. Then it could compete with and surpass the XTX .. I reckon.. but we'll just have to wait and see. While I am eager to see what happens here, I am sticking to my 7800GTX guns for now... so whatever comes out of this rabbit hole will not change that; for me at least. just waiting for the G80 now really. w00t. :)

Back