Which would you choose and why?

Important factors to me:
  • Gaming at 1900 x 1200
  • Overclock Potential
  • Image Quality
  • Stability

Crossfire/SLI is of no interest to me

Simple answer: X1900XTX
Long answer: X1900XT - Get an aftermarket cooler and overclock that puppy! (for mucho less cashes and less noises)

(this coming from a 7800GT owner)

Go with the 7900gtx. Its got the performance advantage over the 1900xtx. The image quality is unnoticeable to me. The 7900gtx has a massive outstanding heatsink on it with heatpipes. You can overclock the crap out of it. No aftermarket cooler is better. I've got my PNY 7900gtx o/ced to 690/880 no problem.

Dutt1113 said:
No aftermarket cooler is better.

That's an interesting one... I haven't ever heard that before. Show me some numbers and pros/cons to that. Thanks

Dutt1113 said:
Go with the 7900gtx. Its got the performance advantage over the 1900xtx. The image quality is unnoticeable to me. The 7900gtx has a massive outstanding heatsink on it with heatpipes. You can overclock the crap out of it. No aftermarket cooler is better. I've got my PNY 7900gtx o/ced to 690/880 no problem.

Performance advantage? Are you dreaming?

Yes, In most cases the X1900XTX Beats the 7900GTX. This is assuming both cards are equipped with the same amount of memory. But each card runs different applications better than the other so whatever you play most.... :)

EnderW said:

Important factors to me:
  • Gaming at 1900 x 1200
  • Overclock Potential
  • Image Quality
  • Stability

Both perform very well at the highest resolutions. ATI generally takes smaller performance hits from higher AA/AF settings. Both are, from what I have seen, very good overclockers as well. The 7900s tend to be better in that regard. The stock cooler on the 7900GTX is better and quieter than the X1900XTX. The image quality goes to ATI, they have better AF with angle independent filtering and HDR+AA. Stability and drivers usually goes to nVidia. They are released more often with generally less problems and many bug fixes. Overall, I would go for the X1900XT or XTX because they have the things more important to me.

It's a draw but If you look at my sig you'll see what I think is better. The X1900XTX has better IQ which isn't very noticable to me. But it IS better. The performance in oblivion is better on X1900XTX. other than that I haven't seem very many games where X1900XTX beats the 7900GTX. they seem to trade blows depending on the game. If you play many open gl games, Doom 3, Quake 4, and you plan on playing Prey and Quake Wars Enemy Territory, I expect those games to be nvidia territory.

the 7900GTX is some what of a fast card.. is it a monster? No its not.. the X1900XTX is also a some what fast card.. is it a monster? No its not.. either way wether its 2 of em in cross fire/ or sli morrowind oblivion seems to wipe these cards out..which is not fair because 1 card is at minimum 450$ and cant run a 50$ game.. but overall i must say X1900XTX... Why? well, the card is very innovative and smart 48 shaders is awesome..and seems to bang out a24 piped 7900GTX.. well what happens when ati starts using 24 pipes lol lol? i think a x1900 would be a good card to ride out directX9.. we wont be running oblivion like we run doom3 until some beefier cards come out.. because i dont care what anyone says a 450$ video card should run anything! and When sli comes in it starts running it better..with like Vsync and all that..the only way these video cards would impress me is if they were about 325$ itleast..

X1900XT/XTX if u can stand the sound while gaming
7900GTX if u can't

the X1900XTX is a bit more future proof with more shaders and faster PS 3.0 performance
on stock air cooling 700/850 is easy to get with an X1900XTX, I don't know how high 7900GTX's are clocking, but I havn't seen anything pheonominal on either end,

Thanks, this helps me too. Had the same exact question. Can you recommend a good cooler/heat pipe?

Brav said:
Thanks, this helps me too. Had the same exact question. Can you recommend a good cooler/heat pipe?

the zalman VF900 seems to be pretty popular :)
u dont really need to worry about activley cooling the ram, without active cooling I got same OC as with so :p'

if u go with the 7900GTX i think the original heatsink is the best choice, it cools well and its quiet

Coolers:

Thermalright V1 Ultra
Zalman VF900Cu
Arctic Cooling Accelero X1/X2
Arcitc Cooling Silencer 5
Ku Formula

In no particular order. But these are the creme de la creme.

Digital Viper-X- said:
the zalman VF900 seems to be pretty popular :)
u dont really need to worry about activley cooling the ram, without active cooling I got same OC as with so :p'

if u go with the 7900GTX i think the original heatsink is the best choice, it cools well and its quiet

Thanks, I will be going with the XTX :)

Doesnt end, now I'm debating about upgrading to P5WD2-E Prem. I bought an 860 chip, doesnt work with my 925XE chipset :(

Other than the noise, I don't even see how there could be much discussion. The current crop of Radeon's are better cards. ;)

If you're going to trade fps blows with a Radeon, you need to bring the rest to the table with you. For now, I can't fathom giving up clearly superior AF and HDR+AA in Oblivion for something that maybe eeks out few more checkbox wins by a nose. Is that really winning? No thanks. Ati wins some too and it always looks better.

Yet people are buying the GTX. Oh well, makes ATi go for price parity with Nv even though their card is better. The IQ and stuff is under appreciated by the masses. Buy ATi for now.

krameriffic said:
Both perform very well at the highest resolutions. ATI generally takes smaller performance hits from higher AA/AF settings. Both are, from what I have seen, very good overclockers as well. The 7900s tend to be better in that regard. The stock cooler on the 7900GTX is better and quieter than the X1900XTX. The image quality goes to ATI, they have better AF with angle independent filtering and HDR+AA. Stability and drivers usually goes to nVidia. They are released more often with generally less problems and many bug fixes. Overall, I would go for the X1900XT or XTX because they have the things more important to me.

/echo ;)

EnderW said:

Important factors to me:
  • Gaming at 1900 x 1200
  • Overclock Potential
  • Image Quality
  • Stability

• Gaming at 1900 x 1200 - Either
  • Overclock Potential - GTX
  • Image Quality- Either (XTX better AF, GTX better AA)
  • Stability - GTX
The GTX has a really good HSF, if you get the XTX you may want to upgrade it to something cooler and quieter. I'm sure you would enjoy either card, but these are some things to consider.

My brother installed the KuFormula on his x1900xt and reduce max load temps by 26C (fan=med). I have one on my 6800GT and saved ~12C at load (fan=low).

JohnleMVP said:
x1900xtx for HDR + FSAA

yeah, if you like playing @ 20fps.....I wouldn't even consider doing that without a multicard setup, regardless of vendor.

Actually my brother just switched from a 7800GT to a X1900XT and in Oblivion with HDR and FSAAx2 his FPS were still better then the 7800GT with just FSAA. This is at 1680x1050 and I'm sure it will run better at 1280x1024 which a lot more people use (~25% less pixels). Yeah its like 30FPS but Oblivion runs pretty slow period. Atleast you have the option with ATI. There will be other games that will run both fine, Oblivion just isn't a good game to use as a benchmark, it doesn't even max out the dual core when you play (Both cpu's only run 50%).

as computerpro3 said dont even considder HDR+AA as an advantage because it is wortless because of the FPS hit especially at 1920x1200. However the x1900xt has better AA and AF performance so thats something to consider

I have a 7900gtx and I'm happy with it so far, I could have gone with the x1900xt but my computer is loud and hot enough as it is and and an x1900xt would'nt have helped plus ive never had an ATI card before and i like the nVidia drivers and hear bad things about the ATI ones.

alekstasy said:
as computerpro3 said dont even considder HDR+AA as an advantage because it is wortless because of the FPS hit especially at 1920x1200. However the x1900xt has better AA and AF performance so thats something to consider

What performance hit?!! 3-5 fps you mean!!

alekstasy said:
I have a 7900gtx and I'm happy with it so far, I could have gone with the x1900xt but my computer is loud and hot enough as it is and and an x1900xt would'nt have helped plus ive never had an ATI card before and i like the nVidia drivers and hear bad things about the ATI ones.
What exactly bad? I dont think thats true, coment more!

Rash said:
What performance hit?!! 3-5 fps you mean!!

performance hit is around 25% at most, but still not that bad for the qaulity improvements ;)

You guys saying HDR+AA with is worthless don't know wtf you are talking about. You can at the very least add 2xAA and then use the same settings you would use on the GTX and probably still get just as good frames. 2x AA at a good res does make a good bit of a difference.

It's like a 5 to 10% hit. Oblivion lags a little when you first go outside and stuff period. So i.e. we're talking like 30 instead of 33 outside. Or like 25 to 27. That's comparing the radeon to itself. We're comparing two cards, one can do a feature the other can not, and is almost still faster at the game. Tell me that makes sense.

HDR + AA is not unusable in Oblivion period. A GTX isn't unusable because it gets a handful of frames less in this game. So neither is knocking the already faster card down a peg or two.

Do you guys think these cards will get way outdated when DX10 comes out? or is it going to be one of those things that these cards can handle dx10, but they just are not the newist thing out there? You think its worth upgrading now or wating for dx10 cards too? sorry if so many questions lol, lookin to build a new computer

Brav said:
Thanks, I will be going with the XTX :)

Doesnt end, now I'm debating about upgrading to P5WD2-E Prem. I bought an 860 chip, doesnt work with my 925XE chipset :(

I have that board in my Intel rig sweet board lots and lots of options o.0 and seems to OC well too, my friend had his 955XE @ 4.6ish Ghz? :p he opted for the WS board so he can use SCSI 320

x1900xtx would be my choice:

[*]Gaming @ 1900x1200 = x1900xtx. It handles higher res with AA better from the benchmarks I have seen. I also like the monthly driver updates

[*]Overclock Potential = Either, both overclock well.

[*]Image Quality = x1900xtx handles AA better and supports HDR with it. Plus it has HQAF.

[*]Stability = Either. Both have good drivers. From the video cards I have owned (gf2,gf4,radeon 8500, gf4200, fx5900xt, 9600xt, 6600gt, x800xt) I have had better luck with ATI as far as failure rate and game related driver issues go. This is probably just luck of the draw.

[*]Heat and noise = 7900gtx has the advantage, but the x1900xtx is not that loud at idol and the cooler can be replaced with an aftermarket one if the noise does bother you.

[*]Price :) = x1900xt/x

computerpro3 said:
7900's are monsters. Hell, I've got my 7900 GT clocked to 714/1920

seriosly, thats amazing...

yea for the latter two matters neither Nvidia or Ati take a clear lead, but for overclocking, even with all the ATi V mods, and overclocking software, Nvidia with its basic display editor and clock setter, is wayyy better.

i oced this card (6600gt) from 500 to 650, using nothing but the Nvidia tuner, but then i got fans up the wazoo....

the problem with some ati cards is they just do not scale, and i totally dont understand why. Ex whats the diferance between 1900XTX and 1900XT? 25Mhz, thats it. Sapphire stuck on a liquid cooling solution (the Blizzard, not to pricy but its still liquid cooling), and they managed to pump another 25Mhz outta the card. 25... thats not good enough. not when you can get 5X that on stock cooling from Nvidia.

computerpro3 said:
7900's are monsters. Hell, I've got my 7900 GT clocked to 714/1920

How did you get a 7900gt overclocked so high. Are you using phase change or liquid nitrogen or something?

ClearM4 said:
x1900xtx would be my choice:

[*]Gaming @ 1900x1200 = x1900xtx. It handles higher res with AA better from the benchmarks I have seen. I also like the monthly driver updates

[*]Overclock Potential = Either, both overclock well.

[*]Image Quality = x1900xtx handles AA better and supports HDR with it. Plus it has HQAF.

[*]Stability = Either. Both have good drivers. From the video cards I have owned (gf2,gf4,radeon 8500, gf4200, fx5900xt, 9600xt, 6600gt, x800xt) I have had better luck with ATI as far as failure rate and game related driver issues go. This is probably just luck of the draw.

[*]Heat and noise = 7900gtx has the advantage, but the x1900xtx is not that loud at idol and the cooler can be replaced with an aftermarket one if the noise does bother you.

[*]Price :) = x1900xt/x

QFT! nice post there :)

I went from a GTX to an XTX and I couldnt be happier about it. The XTX is faster in the games im playing Oblivion, Fear etc... It looks to be the the better card for future games as well if Oblivion is any guide. ATI has an advantage in fps when higher degrees of AA/AF are used. I have been a life long Nvidia fan, but there is a new king of the hill in my opinion and its the XTX.

Leon2ky said:
I imagine anyone who owns a VF700 or a VF900 completely disagree with you.

Or a Ku Forumla, a V1 Ultra, an NV Silencer, an Arctic Cooler Accelero or a water block cooler of some kind.

Dutt... please explain!

Back