7900 GTX only 8-10% faster than 7800gtx 512

Status
Not open for further replies.
$BangforThe$ said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=29928 . So it would seem ATI may be in the drivers set awhile.

This doesn't surprise me too much. The 7k architecture I think is very nice. Performance isn't everything, although it is alot. I will stick with Nvidia while unix compatibility is better and performance is reasonable under Windows.

I think the bigger thing is that even if it's not up by alot, it should drive 6x and 7x (non 7900) prices down significantly.

As long as it shows at least a 25% improvement over the Geforce 7800GTX 256MB, I'll probably pick up a pair of them. Since I am using a dual Opteron rig with an nVidia chipset, I won't be able to go ATi and use Crossfire. So, my only choices really are with nVidia at the moment.

Again I posted in video not NV video as more people would read in video. Alot of people don't come into NV video. That want this info. This isn't just about NV it also relates to how 7900gtx will compare to ATI X1900XTX. So ATI won't lose the title ATI better IQ

The more I look at the 7900, the more I feel that what nVidia will be pushing with this line is quad SLI. What remains to be seen is how exspensive it will be, and how much power it will require.

If they can nVidia and get dual GPU cards out for $800, that would be a decent price point.
Of course, if it requires a 1KW power supply, that wouldn't be so great.

So the X1900 might every well be the fastest single GPU after March 9th, but my guess is that ther performance of quad SLI will be something that no single card will be able to touch for a couple of years.

Oh yes! Quad SLI because you really need that to run 1600x1200. /sarcasm

It's a marketing ploy, the guys that Intel laid off must have gone to Nvidia. ;)

Robstar said:
it should drive 6x and 7x (non 7900) prices down significantly.

My thoughts exactly, I just hope the GTX512 is pushed down to a reasonable level, that'll do for me in SLi
:D

Where I live, the cost to run that much power would be ~17 cents per hour. That's a dollar every 6 hours! It'd almost feel like a gaming surcharge :D

wickedld9 said:
Oh yes! Quad SLI because you really need that to run 1600x1200. /sarcasm

It's a marketing ploy, the guys that Intel laid off must have gone to Nvidia. ;)
No, quad-SLI is innovative and I'm welcoming it. Have you seen the demo movie for InCysis? That's likely going to need some serious gpu power to run. I'm glad both NV and ATI have multi-gpu solutions right now, and it's only going to keep on getting better.

Likewise, many people were saying "marketing ploy" at the mention of dual-core processors a while back. I'm happy, as are A LOT of others today, that both intel and AMD were innovative with that development. Now I'm looking forward to quad-core processors from both camps.

seems like i wont be upgrading :(

i had a new rig modelled around this card/x1900xt but theyre not worth it...i guess ill wait for dx10 now...

From rumors, the 7900 series will be much cheaper now since it will be mass produced. This is probably why the memory is the slower more available type. A performance upgrade with a price drop sounds like a fine job. Remember, this is not an entirely new architecture, that will have to wait for g80, this is more of a 9700->9800 step.

theinquirer? lol

dont ever visit or listen to that site, horrible, horrible news - wrong SO much

not saying this isn't true, just saying that site is BS

also, expect it to be 500 dollars....hmm?

Mayhs said:
seems like i wont be upgrading :(

i had a new rig modelled around this card/x1900xt but theyre not worth it...i guess ill wait for dx10 now...

why the sad face? that card is really fast! anything above a 6800GT is good enough right now, esp since DX10 is coming, anyone tripping over themselves to get anything better if they have a 7800GT really needs to find something else to blow money on...

brucedeluxe169 said:
why the sad face? that card is really fast! anything above a 6800GT is good enough right now, esp since DX10 is coming, anyone tripping over themselves to get anything better if they have a 7800GT really needs to find something else to blow money on...

ive got a x850xt pe...i just really wanted to upgrade to a new system seeing as im getting a great price on this one...anyways ill just get the comp with a 6600gt and upgrade when vista comes out

HopePoisoned said:
theinquirer? lol

dont ever visit or listen to that site, horrible, horrible news - wrong SO much

not saying this isn't true, just saying that site is BS

also, expect it to be 500 dollars....hmm?

It's a rumor site, so expect things to be wrong a lot.

However, when its close to a product launch date like this, they and all the other decent computer tech sites end up reporting the same info, and what they've said as of now is no different than anything else I've heard. 24 pipes, 650MHz core, etc.

DejaWiz said:
No, quad-SLI is innovative and I'm welcoming it. Have you seen the demo movie for InCysis? That's likely going to need some serious gpu power to run.
And if im not misstaken it will make use of DX10 so even if you have "serious GPU power" with your quad SLI you might not be able to run it with all effects turned on...

DejaWiz said:
Likewise, many people were saying "marketing ploy" at the mention of dual-core processors a while back. I'm happy, as are A LOT of others today, that both intel and AMD were innovative with that development. Now I'm looking forward to quad-core processors from both camps.
Not the same thing IMO. Buy two of the most expensive graphic cards and yeah you might have the best rig for a few month then the next generation comes along and then you get the same or even better performence with only one of those card as your two expensive last gen cards, plus they might bring in new features you two cards lack.

With CPUs its different, CPU development doesnt move as fast as the GPU development and you wont miss out on as many features.

I have always been an opponent to SLI/CF and in my opinion quad SLI is just ridiculous but if you want a large e-penis go ahead and buy it ;)

Mayhs said:
ive got a x850xt pe...i just really wanted to upgrade to a new system seeing as im getting a great price on this one...anyways ill just get the comp with a 6600gt and upgrade when vista comes out
Get the 7800GT or 7900GT... it'll fetch you way more money over a 6600GT when you sell it come time for a DX10 upgrade, and you'll love the performance in the interim.

With UT2K7 comming soon and monitors with resolutions @ 1920x1200, to have all the eye candy (not just AA/AF) with vsync I'm sure quad sli rigs will be the target. But for gamers who play on medium iq and 12x10, single card solutions will do just fine. Myself I'll be seeing some kind of sli upgrade, beit with my 256GTX or an upcoming nVidia gpu, to drive my 2405 with everything on.

It would be rather awesome if future gpu's from nvidia could be sli'd with other gpu's ie 7900GTX sli with 7800GTX. And significantly improve render times for Premier/Vegas/divx/wmv/3DsMax/Maya/XSI.

DejaWiz said:
Get the 7800GT or 7900GT... it'll fetch you way more money over a 6600GT when you sell it come time for a DX10 upgrade, and you'll love the performance in the interim.

good idea i might consider it...but i dont really need a 7900gt to play source :p no new games interest me atm

S_Z said:
And if im not misstaken it will make use of DX10 so even if you have "serious GPU power" with your quad SLI you might not be able to run it with all effects turned on...

Not the same thing IMO. Buy two of the most expensive graphic cards and yeah you might have the best rig for a few month then the next generation comes along and then you get the same of even better performence with only one of those card as you two expensive last gen cards plus they might bring in new features you two cards lack.

With CPUs its different, CPU development doesnt move as fast as the GPU development and you wont miss out on as many features.

I have always been an opponent to SLI/CF and in my opinion quad SLI is just ridiculous but if you want a large e-penis go ahead and buy it ;)
I was talking more from a price/performance viewpoint in time. 7900GTX = faster than 7800GTX and cheaper, too. Means that it is a more cost effective solution for the performance it provides. And this is only going to get cheaper in regards to this price/performance ratio as the years to by with each new gpu generation release.

I never said I was going to be an early adopter of this quad-sli DX9 solution and brag about a large e-penis. I think it's ridiculous to spend that kind of money on a gpu setup, for the record. But to each their own and I'm certainly not going to complain to or badmouth anyone for buying such a setup. I'll envy them to an extent! We all have a choice with what to do with our own money, and Person A bitching about what Person B buys in a fashion that Person A sees unsuitable or unjustified for themself is just plain ignorant, imo.

I merely said in a different way that this kind of innovation pays off for us, the consumers. Sure, quad-sli is going to be expensive as all hell initially, but when the theory becomes more refined and cost effective to produce, we'll all be using some variant of it at some point in the future, even if it's dual dual-gpu cards, or a single quad-gpu card, or a single core developed that harnesses basic ideas and innovations from current dual and quad sli technology.

It's just common sense that we have to wait for DX10 parts to be released, as the DX10 SDK isn't even mature yet for developers to even make games that utilize it. Then after that the next gen. And the next gen after that. If everyone waited for the next product and never bought anything, then these companies couldn't innovate. Thanks for the flaming, though.

Whats the big deal. For the most part the X1900XTX is about 10% faster than the X1800XT. I haven't seen it much faster that the X1800XT than that. I've read many reviews and it's very rare that it does better than 10% over. It has done it but not often. FTW overclock your X1800XT and you have a X1900XTX practically. I expect the 7900GTX to be 10% faster and in rare occasions even more faster than the 7800GTX 512mb. After all these cards are both refreshes not new gen stuff. If the G80 and R600 were only 10% faster this would be more of a shock.

^^ QFT.

This is expected by myself personally. 10% increase and a huge price drop is not a bad thing

Lord_Exodia said:
Whats the big deal. For the most part the X1900XTX is about 10% faster than the X1800XT. I haven't seen it much faster that the X1800XT than that. I've read many reviews and it's very rare that it does better than 10% over. It has done it but not often. FTW overclock your X1800XT and you have a X1900XTX practically. I expect the 7900GTX to be 10% faster and in rare occasions even more faster than the 7800GTX 512mb. After all these cards are both refreshes not new gen stuff. If the G80 and R600 were only 10% faster this would be more of a shock.

true most refreshes are like 5-15% quicker......but i just expected more

DejaWiz said:
Thanks for the flaming, though.
Sorry you took my post as a "flaming" it sure wasnt meant as one. I just expressed my feelings on SLI and i happened to have another opinion then you.

as long as its cheaper, faster, cooler and available I say it'll be a weener! :D

The theinquirer.net rocks! A lot of there stuff isn't wrong. And yah they have rumors sometimes but its up to you to believe it, it isn't fact its a rumor duh.

Yah but anyways, we will see the performance increase with some benchies! Just dont believe everything you read. Gotta wait!

iRoNeTiK said:
The theinquirer.net rocks! A lot of there stuff isn't wrong. And yah they have rumors sometimes but its up to you to believe it, it isn't fact its a rumor duh.

Yah but anyways, we will see the performance increase with some benchies! Just dont believe everything you read. Gotta wait!

I honestly could not tell you the last time they were wrong with an article I believed. Yeah, making perdictions for 2 years worth of CPU roadmap is going to have some holes...but they are pretty clear about when its rumor and when it has substance.

%10 faster but WAIT dont forget NVIDIA famous "%25 increase with new drivers" but we wont release those for about 5 months! So you have to wait till then to really see what this card can do!

7900 is nothing but a speed boost refresh to the 7800 line, nothing more. so dont anything revolutionary with this card - ATI has more to offer this round with the x1900. - but wait! they also say WAIT for the new drivers!

i am getting sick of this shiet, - i buy a card today i want it to perform how it is SUPPOSED to today, not tomorrow, not in 5 months TODAY!

I dont put a lot of stock into rumors, but it seems about right. Its not like the 7900 is a whole new design. While Im not overly excited about it, I think it will be a good thing. If they can release them in quanity, and if they are prices lower as has been rumored. The X1800 and X1900 really has only had the 256MB GTX to compete with. The 512MB GTX has been out of stock, and/or priced far above the ATi cards. If NV can bring a card out, prices close to ATi's, and be about the same speed, I think thats a good thing.

I've long been a fan of the best card, whoever makes it. If this is true than it a major disapointment. I've been waiting until I pulled the trigger on a new video card. Well know soon enough. I have a 6800 Ultra, but looks like the XTX will be my new card.

Lord_Exodia said:

I'm relatively new to Hardocp, but I want what this guy is smoking. Can I get some free samples. Maybe I'll stick around :D

Ghandi#1 said:
I'm relatively new to Hardocp, but I want what this guy is smoking. Can I get some free samples. Maybe I'll stick around :D

Dude the 7800GTX 512MB is sometimes faster than the X1900XTX most of the time it isn't, however a 10% boost or more is enough to beat the X1900XTX is some games. Not all but some. Also wait for a few driver updates too for the 7900GTX.

Render said:
10% on a 7800gtx 512 is HUGE...some people do not realize this...

Yeah, it can be a big boost depending on the game. A 10% boost in F.E.A.R. is a big deal, that would roughly put it on par with the X1900 in a lot of situations, but not all.

Really, I am VERY eager to see how good quad SLI is. That's really the advancement this series will have to offer in terms of performance.

It seems that a lot of people think its some kind of gimmick, but in situations that are GPU bound, it does add a lot. It make a hugh difference in games like F.E.A.R. and CoD2. If quad SLI can devliver, it means that 1920x1200 (and beyond) won't be a problem for any current game at max detail and high levels of AA. I've been waiting for the performance level of GPU's to reach the point where 1920x1200+ is a peice of cake. This may make me go out and get that 24" Samsung!

The linked article did not show any benchmarks, list of test systems or drivers used??

Magic 8 Ball, will the 7900 be faster?

Does anyone know if the 7800 gtx 512 will be discontinued? or still made and with a lower price. I see people saying the 1900 will still be king of the hill, but just think 2 7800 512's at a lower price could be a great deal and more then fast enough too play up comming titles. Here in canada the gtx 512 is still going for over 1,000 and on backorder.

10% wont be enough to overtake the XTX. It's all speculation at this point, but if this holds true than Nvidia really fumbled the ball. The Phantom GTX 512 was just a sad attempt to regain the performance crown. When the 7800 was introduced they had Ati up against the ropes and failed to deliver the knockout blow, and ultimately they lost this round. Kind of like the Delhoya, Trinidad fight. :rolleyes: Like I said, its all speculation. Well all know what the 7900 brings to the table shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back