7900 GT 512 MB

Tylander

Limp Gawd
I'm currently rocking a 6800GT and am wanting to upgrade to a 7900 GT. I noticed that there is now a 512 MB version of this card (probably old news, I know). I'm just wondering if anybody has some info/experience with this card, and if its that much better than it's 256 MB counterpart. I'm liking that 300 dollar price point for 512 megs too :p.

Not sure if its relevant, but I'm planning on getting the eVGA one. Thanks :)

Edit: Link for the lazy

Jesus dude, that was fast. Oh yeah, games this card will be seeing include Oblivion, WoW, pretty much anything on the Source engine, Q4, etc. High end games in other words.

Basically, that is a slightly slow 7900GTX....TAKE IT as long as it's a Reloaded (aka not going to die) version

Any idea how long it will take for newegg to restock? I dont want to spend the 380 that monarch is charging.

Naka said:
Any idea how long it will take for newegg to restock? I dont want to spend the 380 that monarch is charging.

ugh, I'm waiting for newegg to restock too.. :mad:

I dont suppose anyone knows of anywhere else that has these cards for the same price as newegg?

Bah, it was in stock when i made this thread :(

Also, thanks for the feedback. Sounds like this is a really good buy.

I did, thanks. Funny thing too, I had just sold off my SLI 256MB 7900GT cards, and was daydreaming about a 512MB 7900gt so I randomly typed that into Newegg and happened to hit it the day after launch.

I guess EVGA and me think alike.

I'm hoping it shows up tomorrow, but thursday is more likely.

Welp, it's in the mail, wish me luck.

On another note, WTS: 6800GT
tongue.gif

I got my 7900gt 512mb yesterday. Other than the long load times in quake 4 (and the studdering from still loading) it runs very smooth. I can't notice a difference between it and my X1900XT. In FEAR, at extreme settings and 4x AA and 8x AF, I get 25fps minimum and 100 fps max, and about 50 fps average. I'm very happy. I'll be happier when I get another for SLI and another gig of ram. ;)

Advil said:
I did, thanks. Funny thing too, I had just sold off my SLI 256MB 7900GT cards, and was daydreaming about a 512MB 7900gt so I randomly typed that into Newegg and happened to hit it the day after launch.

I guess EVGA and me think alike.

I'm hoping it shows up tomorrow, but thursday is more likely.

Why in the name of all that is holy did you sell off an SLI 7900GT setup???!! What's wrong with you, maaan! :D

I bought one last Thursday and just got it today. I upgraded from a 256mb x1800XL and freaking love it!

The XL was fine, but when I got a Samsung 204B recently it didn't seem as smooth at 1600x1200 than it was at either 1280x1024 or 1024x768. It was only $299 ($305 with UPS 4 day - they're always late), so I bit.

Before this upgrade I was thinking of going for a Core 2, but this card has bridged the gap nicely and I really think I should have no problems waiting until March for a Core 2/quad//DX10 build.

My only regret is that I didn't get the SLI version of the Abit KN8 when I upgraded to 939. Had I, I would really look forward to throwing another one in next month or the month after.

So far I've only tested Shadowgrounds and it runs excellent with every option and detail on very high, with 4x AA and 16x AF at 1600x1200. My XL was lucky to play at 1280x1024 with most of the options on high and some on medium with 8x AF and no AA.

I'm going to install the newest Hitman in a bit (it came with the card). :)

Man they had some on for sale last night and now they don't even list it anymore.
Should I wait to get one or get something else? I have a 256 7900GT right now and I was wondering if I got a 512 would it run in SLI and would the 512 help???
Hmmmm Anyone else know where to get these for $299?

I ordered my eVGA 7900gt 512meg yesterday from newegg.com right before they stopped stocking them :). I guess I got lucky its now on its way coming tomorrow from the looks of the tracking.

nullzero said:
I ordered my eVGA 7900gt 512meg yesterday from newegg.com right before they stopped stocking them :). I guess I got lucky its now on its way coming tomorrow from the looks of the tracking.

I really really like mine. I can play Oblivion at 1600x1200 with most of the sliders all the way to the right and all of the graphic features on or on high. I turn shadow filtering on low and put actor, objext and item fade a little to the right of the middle. It's really smooth (have no idea FPS wise) in the wilderness and excellent in the cities. I don't really care for the grass, so that's on low though.

It's a massive improvement over the 256mb x1800XL.

I never got around to installing Hitman because I fell in love with Oblivion all over again :)

I think that especially in the case of Oblivion, the extra 256MB helps out. I know it should definately help with AA...

insanity said:
Stupid newegg, stopped stocking it and I was planning on ordering tomorrow... :mad:

Me too, I was gonna order another one for SLI but now i change my mind. Maybee i should RMA this one and get just 1 single X1900XTX until DX10 cards come out. I dont wanna waste anymore money on this and get SLI. This card ive got it overclocked to 600/1600, should this be able to go higher with aftermarket cooling?

XLeezardx said:
Me too, I was gonna order another one for SLI but now i change my mind. Maybee i should RMA this one and get just 1 single X1900XTX until DX10 cards come out. I dont wanna waste anymore money on this and get SLI. This card ive got it overclocked to 600/1600, should this be able to go higher with aftermarket cooling?
Just get a 7950GT for SLI...it's the same core and virtually same card.

joemama said:
Just get a 7950GT for SLI...it's the same core and virtually same card.

Or if you want to save as much as possible, go thru the EVGA Step Up program. :confused:

Why was it removed? I wouldn't mind blowing another $300 for another one right now :eek:

Back