79 days till #1 for HardOCP

You should not have to shutdown if you changed team #s mid-WU.
I did not when switching over to [H].

Depends on the client version. v7 will change on the fly, v6 requires a client restart

Thanks for the welcome! It's v6.34.

There are good guys over there at EOC, but I feel like I have to leave to make the team points worth anything. EOC will be over run soon even with my help and continue going backwards. :(

[H] seems like a logical choice to make use of the points.

we use to be around 1500 but as a whole for F@H the active folders have dropped a lot. for a while evga was up to 1800-1900 active folders but they have dropped under 1000 as well.

It's summer time, some people shut everything down during the summer.

This page only shows the last 3 months or so, but the trend is obvious.

Remember that we had an entire team's worth of grateful CC winners finish helping us back in May...and then summer electric rates kicked in. So over the short term it is only natural for a depression in active folders in the last 2-3 months.

Summer slowdown - naturally. But the CC help was a single username/passkey so that does not skew the graph.

There is no way around the fact that Team 33 has been losing active folders over a long period.

everyone is.. its not just one team, every team in F@H is losing people and its not just because its summer. the hype is gone. bigadv was cool but its no longer a cheap solution for points so people just move on to other stuff.

We just have to out last everyone else leaving the other teams

We need to encourage:
1) new folders to the cause;
2) welcome new members to our team from other teams; and
3) keep the folders that we already have.

We already do these things, but I am sure we could improve on some of them. We are the greatest team in this section of the galaxy.

^not sure if i agree with no.2 at the current time.

With there being such a large drop in active participation people leaving smaller teams to come to us may cause other on that smaller team to give up, not everyone will switch. Our main goals should be 1 & 3 above and also to try and win back some retired folders.

The hot summer in the US and the shitty economic climate worldwide are not going to make it easy though, some pushing from PG might help as well. What F@H really needs atthe moment is a proper success story, we have done lots of reasearch but until we actually help come up with a drug we are going to struggle. Hopefully the push on the alzheimers drug will help in this.

I went off to help much much smaller teams climb the ranks some, but now config'd back to 33.

I need to figure out how to tweak my D8 to squeak out a bit more ppd. It's doing alright, but I'd like to reign in EVGA a little faster. -.-

Going to get into this once it gets cooler. How does the efficiency of heating a room with a PC compare to a small space heater, in terms of electricity cost? Is it 30% as efficient, 20%, 10%? I have a tiny room, live in the NYC area, and don't need the temperature to be higher than 50C or so in the winter.

I'm not sure we've analyzed the efficiency of using folding as heat. We just accepted that it works, and works well. I'd much rather turn on a computer than a space heater.

If I had to guess though, the numbers would be much higher. It would theoreticly take no electricity to compute if it were not for "I squared R losses". Heaters use the same principal to generate heat. So numbers should be similar between electric heat and computers.

I'm not sure we've analyzed the efficiency of using folding as heat. We just accepted that it works, and works well. I'd much rather turn on a computer than a space heater.

If I had to guess though, the numbers would be much higher. It would theoreticly take no electricity to compute if it were not for "I squared R losses". Heaters use the same principal to generate heat. So numbers should be similar between electric heat and computers.

I would imagine all the fans might circulate air better than my space heater with no fan. Getting pretty excited about this actually.. if it's not going to cost too much extra this is a no-brainer. Might be able to convince my mates to do the same.

:eek: Must be on blood thinners like me. ;)

whoops late night :)

Looks like we are really suffering due to heat, 8101 and a falling retention rate - we now have less than 600 active folders, Is this a heat thing, an economic thing, lost interest thing or a combination?

Looks like we are really suffering due to heat, 8101 and a falling retention rate - we now have less than 600 active folders, Is this a heat thing, an economic thing, lost interest thing or a combination?

Heat and summer electric rates I'd wager.

Stanford isn't winning folks over with their points system changes either.

Yeah i down for 10 days while we moved and then they had to fix our AC. I just started my i7 back up, running at 4.6ghz for now tho to keep heat down a bit. I'm sure a decent amount of people that were folding while at school and are now home for summer hurt our numbers some too.

That's exactly the case with me - I'll be back up in August once I'm not paying the electric bill and running the AC anymore. Until then, no folding for me =(

I (so far) have my dually with 212's churning, but my PPD dropped hard, can't return the 8xxx units fast enough. And the real heat has not hit yet. :( But I did get a spare box with a Phenom quad up, so there is that.

The office is d*mn hot!

"79 days? Then I can shut my rig off, we'll still make it" -- thought 50 guys :)

"79 days? Then I can shut my rig off, we'll still make it" -- thought 50 guys :)

HeHe I do not think so. 79 days makes it the middle of September shorter days cooler nights and if you shut down your rigs you may need to turn the heater on. Plan on turning them off next summer doubt you are going to be able to turn them off this year.

By the way have you looked in your rear view lately. :D

P.S. you do realize you are responsible for that. :p

Would be fun to get into this, only rig I can really dedicate to this would be my server which isn't very much. Just a C2D E7200 lol. I've been thinking about putting together a server with 4 six core 1.8ghz socket F's in it, but the motherboards are way too expensive. Plus I don't know if the yields would be worth it compared to my sandy desktop if I used it.

I've noticed a pattern in the replies to this thread. The first sentence (typically) begins with a cry of amazing and awe, but ends with something to the effect of "by the end of this week I will have <resources> online!". Resources, for example, a 256-core cluster.

So, along those lines, will anyone -- by the end of this week -- be harnessing the power of Amazon's cloud computing? :D

I've noticed a pattern in the replies to this thread. The first sentence (typically) begins with a cry of amazing and awe, but ends with something to the effect of "by the end of this week I will have <resources> online!". Resources, for example, a 256-core cluster.

So, along those lines, will anyone -- by the end of this week -- be harnessing the power of Amazon's cloud computing? :D

I brought a 4p 6128 rig online as promised.

Back