Hi Guy's!
I'm finally building a new PC, as the one I have now if getting really old - It's a x58 based i980X w/24GB RAM & TriSLI GTX580's.
For the new build I'm not sure if I should get a 7820X or a 7900X - I don't need the extra 2 cores, but I might need the extra PCIe-lanes... I'm going to use it for office-app's, HVEC/x.265 Encoding and 4K-gaming (currently I'm 3x 1920x1200-monitors, but getting LG's 3840x1600 monitor), so the question is:
Do I need the extra PCIe-lanes to go 2x1080ti or will one 1080ti be enough? Do I need to go SLI or will a single card be enough? I can understand that SLI (and Xfire) is on the way out, but how real it it & will it be a big issue?
I have been looking at the numbers and see that the price-diff on the CPU's is about the same as the the price-diff on 1080ti vs Titan Xp and the TitanXP only give you about 8% more. The same price-diff on the CPU's will get me about 66% of a 2. 1080ti, but do I need the extra PCIe-lanes to go SLI or will the 7820X be enough?
In other words: Should I get:
1) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7820X & 1x1080ti + 3x NVM SSD's
2) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7820X & 1xTitanXp + 3xNVM SSD's (+€450,-)
3) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7820X & 2x1080ti + 3x NVM SSD's (+€850,-)
4) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7900X & 2x1080ti + 3x NVM SSD's (+€1250,-)
To me it looks like I won't have enough PCIe lanes for the SSD's if I get the 7820X & 2x 1080ti (option 3)...?
I don't want to buy bragging rights, but real useful performance, like if you buy a Tesla S-P100DL+ instead of a Ferrari F12, because you never drive over 100mph, but still want to be the fastest 0-60mph (I'm sure you get my point)...
The build will be overclocked as much as possible & water-cooled (I'll ask for help on the water part in another thread)...
Any helpful input is welcome!
I'm finally building a new PC, as the one I have now if getting really old - It's a x58 based i980X w/24GB RAM & TriSLI GTX580's.
For the new build I'm not sure if I should get a 7820X or a 7900X - I don't need the extra 2 cores, but I might need the extra PCIe-lanes... I'm going to use it for office-app's, HVEC/x.265 Encoding and 4K-gaming (currently I'm 3x 1920x1200-monitors, but getting LG's 3840x1600 monitor), so the question is:
Do I need the extra PCIe-lanes to go 2x1080ti or will one 1080ti be enough? Do I need to go SLI or will a single card be enough? I can understand that SLI (and Xfire) is on the way out, but how real it it & will it be a big issue?
I have been looking at the numbers and see that the price-diff on the CPU's is about the same as the the price-diff on 1080ti vs Titan Xp and the TitanXP only give you about 8% more. The same price-diff on the CPU's will get me about 66% of a 2. 1080ti, but do I need the extra PCIe-lanes to go SLI or will the 7820X be enough?
In other words: Should I get:
1) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7820X & 1x1080ti + 3x NVM SSD's
2) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7820X & 1xTitanXp + 3xNVM SSD's (+€450,-)
3) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7820X & 2x1080ti + 3x NVM SSD's (+€850,-)
4) Asrock X299 Pro Gaming i9 w/7900X & 2x1080ti + 3x NVM SSD's (+€1250,-)
To me it looks like I won't have enough PCIe lanes for the SSD's if I get the 7820X & 2x 1080ti (option 3)...?
I don't want to buy bragging rights, but real useful performance, like if you buy a Tesla S-P100DL+ instead of a Ferrari F12, because you never drive over 100mph, but still want to be the fastest 0-60mph (I'm sure you get my point)...
The build will be overclocked as much as possible & water-cooled (I'll ask for help on the water part in another thread)...
Any helpful input is welcome!