780i's are out..

Haven't you guys noticed that odd-numbered nForce products suck?

nForce1: meh
nForce2: AWESOME (for the time)
nForce3: meh
nForce4: AWESOME (for the time)
nForce5: total crap (at least for Intel)
nForce6: pretty good
nForce7: total crap?

It's like the Star Trek movies.

and does not cost $250+

NewEgg had the EVGA 780i board listed this morning (they already removed it, guess it was an accident).

EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813188024
$289.99

so far so good with my evga 780i board, I will have more time later tonight with it to post up some results.

I built a 780i for my friend the other night. The motherboard looks cool. I don't think you can fit much of anything else if you are running tri SLI, fortunately he was just using a new GTS.

Funny how the OP states how lazy he is and that is the reason he has not taken pics, yet he has spent much more time defending himself against those calling him a liar than it would take to snap a pic and throw it on photobucket...

:D

I built a 780i for my friend the other night. The motherboard looks cool. I don't think you can fit much of anything else if you are running tri SLI, fortunately he was just using a new GTS.

You can't. I'm running 3-Way SLI and using the stock air coolers there is only the one PCIe slot left at the top of the board. Since I'm using the Striker Extreme, I don't even have that. That slot only works with the proprietary sound card in my case. Which I needed anyway for audio.

You can't. I'm running 3-Way SLI and using the stock air coolers there is only the one PCIe slot left at the top of the board. Since I'm using the Striker Extreme, I don't even have that. That slot only works with the proprietary sound card in my case. Which I needed anyway for audio.

when did you move back to the striker extreme??

when did you move back to the striker extreme??

About a week or so ago. I went back to air cooling because I didn't have a water block for my third card and it wouldn't have cleared the south bridge water block on my Black Pearl.

That and I was getting sick of water cooling. I enjoy the extra cooling, however I'm tired of draining the loop and dealing with all the extra bullshit that goes a long with water cooling.

When you upgrade and swap hardware as much as I do, it is a big pain in the ass.

About a week or so ago. I went back to air cooling because I didn't have a water block for my third card and it wouldn't have cleared the south bridge water block on my Black Pearl.

That and I was getting sick of water cooling. I enjoy the extra cooling, however I'm tired of draining the loop and dealing with all the extra bullshit that goes a long with water cooling.

When you upgrade and swap hardware as much as I do, it is a big pain in the ass.

That's exactly why I ditched H2O a couple years ago.

Hey Dan, how are you liking your Tt 1200w? I just bought one a few days ago and mine gets blisteringly hot after a few hours of abuse.

That's exactly why I ditched H2O a couple years ago.

Hey Dan, how are you liking your Tt 1200w? I just bought one a few days ago and mine gets blisteringly hot after a few hours of abuse.

Mine is awesome. I've had no trouble out of it and even with the hardware I've got it stays relatively cool. It can handle high heat though, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you have decent airflow to it.

Mine is awesome. I've had no trouble out of it and even with the hardware I've got it stays relatively cool. It can handle high heat though, I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you have decent airflow to it.

Hey Dan_D
Any change of some tri-sli results from your side?

I dont think those prices are unreasonable for a high end SLI capable board. :)

I don't either. I'm waiting for something other than the reference designs before taking the plunge. With my history of problems with NVIDIA reference 680i SLI's, I'd like to avoid the 780i SLI reference boards if I can.

I Hate the EPU-crap ASUS put on the boards and needs EPU-mod to disabeling the crap so i don´t going to get me a ASUS-board that has this crap next time, thats mean 780i or 790i and referensboards has doing very well so far of 780i line.
Since EPU is more of an unwanted feature than it helps users a NON ASUS-board is my next one. To bad Striker II has EPU, thats rule this out.

I'm waiting for the Striker II Formula to come out.

Bought one in German-ishop last tuesday.
When lucky i get it tommorow (must ship to Netherlands)
So there seem to be little numbers available already.

I Hate the EPU-crap ASUS put on the boards and needs EPU-mod to disabeling the crap so i don´t going to get me a ASUS-board that has this crap next time, thats mean 780i or 790i and referensboards has doing very well so far of 780i line.
Since EPU is more of an unwanted feature than it helps users a NON ASUS-board is my next one. To bad Striker II has EPU, thats rule this out.

I'm not familair with the EPU stuff. I haven't ever heard of that before. As for the reference design 780i SLI boards doing well so far, well that doesn't exactly inspire confidence as far as I am concerned. It was two or three months before we knew how bad the reference 680i SLI boards were. Only after a year do I have the complete picture of how bad those boards were. I'll need to give the 780i SLI some more time before I'll trust it.

EPU is a chip that work together with AI Gear 3 and improve the efficiency but only in theory, in reality it does the opposite and prevents proper load on CPU when the CPU demands to mutch power than the board like.
Why i hate EPU is because it caused to mutch problems with some quads at some fsb and/or voltage. Example, when you load prime 95/OCCT whatever that put heavy loads on CPU with the maximus formula it does not load the cpu 100%, also the voltages fluctuate too much for some, not me thou. Most people blame the EPU when other boards without EPU loads up 100% just perfect. I see this on both my old Q6600 and new QX9650 on maximus SE when OC at sertain FSB:s and/or vcore:s and it do inpact on the OC and lower it or prevents me to get where it can when it is disabled.
However i have only heard of this on Maximus Formula, not Maximus Extreme nor any other ASUS board that has it or if it is a Vista X64 thing , but i am not going to take another shot at this and be forced to do a mod to disable the darn thing since it does not work as intended unless i know 100% it can be fixed in BIOS or dev manager.

So far what i seen is that reference EVGA/XFX 780i can do 475-480FSB on Quad and do yorkies just as good as X38/P35 can.
Nonreferens ASUS P5N-T Deluxe has issues with yorkies that referens design boards not has when come to OC and for me doing yorkies good/as good as X38 is whats counts if i shall buy the board, But ASUS still has a month or two, perhaps even three to fix it on the 780/790 department before i have to make my call on what board to get when i go back to SLi with Nvidia 9-series.

EPU is a chip that work together with AI Gear 3 and improve the efficiency but only in theory, in reality it does the opposite and prevents proper load on CPU when the CPU demands to mutch power than the board like.
Why i hate EPU is because it caused to mutch problems with some quads at some fsb and/or voltage. Example, when you load prime 95/OCCT whatever that put heavy loads on CPU with the maximus formula it does not load the cpu 100%, also the voltages fluctuate too much for some, not me thou. Most people blame the EPU when other boards without EPU loads up 100% just perfect. I see this on both my old Q6600 and new QX9650 on maximus SE when OC at sertain FSB:s and/or vcore:s and it do inpact on the OC and lower it or prevents me to get where it can when it is disabled.
However i have only heard of this on Maximus Formula, not Maximus Extreme nor any other ASUS board that has it or if it is a Vista X64 thing , but i am not going to take another shot at this and be forced to do a mod to disable the darn thing since it does not work as intended unless i know 100% it can be fixed in BIOS or dev manager.

So far what i seen is that reference EVGA/XFX 780i can do 475-480FSB on Quad and do yorkies just as good as X38/P35 can.
Nonreferens ASUS P5N-T Deluxe has issues with yorkies that referens design boards not has when come to OC and for me doing yorkies good/as good as X38 is whats counts if i shall buy the board, But ASUS still has a month or two, perhaps even three to fix it on the 780/790 department before i have to make my call on what board to get when i go back to SLi with Nvidia 9-series.

I did extensive testing with the ASUS Maximus Formula SE and the Maximus Extreme, I never had any problems with overclocking, CPU load or stability.

I did extensive testing with the ASUS Maximus Formula SE and the Maximus Extreme, I never had any problems with overclocking, CPU load or stability.
Some get the problem, some not so its a gamble. I get it sooner on my Q6600 than the QX9650. On xtreemesystems the idea is that the VID of CPU is one nominator where to se this problem, lower VID problem accure with higher Vcore than an CPU with higher VID. Vista X64 might be another but noone realy knows since ASUS seems to not wanna talk about it and give a solution to it. But i get it with or without driver installed under Vista X64, might try it on XP on an old HDD just for fun to se if driver make any differens at all since this EPU-thing is the only reson i dislike ASUS.

I have essentially the same board. What I did was just water-cool the middle card with a DangerDen, it slimmed down the card so I could use my X-Fi in the PCI slot just underneath the middle PCI-e slot. It was sort of a pain, but it all fits......kinda crazy, two air-cooled 8800GTX and a watercooled one stuck in the middle.....:eek:

Is that SupremeFX card any good????? I didnt think it could hold up to the X-Fi so I didnt even try it out.

I have essentially the same board. What I did was just water-cool the middle card with a DangerDen, it slimmed down the card so I could use my X-Fi in the PCI slot just underneath the middle PCI-e slot. It was sort of a pain, but it all fits......kinda crazy, two air-cooled 8800GTX and a watercooled one stuck in the middle.....:eek:

Is that SupremeFX card any good????? I didnt think it could hold up to the X-Fi so I didnt even try it out.

It isn't too bad. I know water cooling is an option but I just ditched it for air cooling because I got sick of draining the loop and taking everything apart all the damn time due to hardware failures (680i SLI deaths) and also due to the fact that I upgrade all the time.

Just look for flexible pci-riser (enough on ebay very cheap), preferably 150mm or more.
Put the riser in teh lowest pci slot and lay your pci card at the bottom of your case.
Not very neat, but at least you can use a decent soundcard with your tri-sli.

Just look for flexible pci-riser (enough on ebay very cheap), preferably 150mm or more.
Put the riser in teh lowest pci slot and lay your pci card at the bottom of your case.
Not very neat, but at least you can use a decent soundcard with your tri-sli.

It isn't a big deal. The onboard audio isn't too bad. Not quite as nice as the X-Fi obviously, but good enough. I am more concerned about video card performance and less about audio.

Back