780i vs 680i (revisit?)

As for me, i got a sweet deal on a pair of 3870 + e8400. since im building a case and re-doing the whole system i will gladly wait for the asus p5..

Once again thanks all.

That should be a nice setup. I think the Maximus is a great board personally ;).

While many people swear that quad core CPUs accelerate the demise of the 680i SLI boards, I can't say there is conclusive proof that this is true. However I am inclined to think that it is true as that has been my experience.

I'm inclined to think that patterns are indicative of a problem. Most of the problem 680i builds I've seen used quads, and problems seem to happen fairly often.

On the other hand, most of the 680i builds I've seen using the old 1066 FSB duals seem to be working just fine with no problems.

It's not conclusive proof, but there is enough of a pattern to worry about.

I'm inclined to think that patterns are indicative of a problem. Most of the problem 680i builds I've seen used quads, and problems seem to happen fairly often.

On the other hand, most of the 680i builds I've seen using the old 1066 FSB duals seem to be working just fine with no problems.

It's not conclusive proof, but there is enough of a pattern to worry about.

Agreed.

My first 680i was a perfect companion to my E6600. An able OCer, it supported a 1600mhz FSB (for a 3.6ghz FSB) without a single issue for 10 months. The moment I upgraded to a Q6600 however, things changed. It was as if the board's personality did a complete 180. In less than a month, it was declared dead with an unrecoverable "--" code. Note that this was an A1 board, and not an original revision which was known to have poor quad OC support.

The second 680i has been handling the same Quad at a stable 1600mhz FSB (3.6ghz on the chip) for about a month w/o issue, although I've been getting poor memory latency readings (my guess is that it's caused by a bad FSB strap.) This is something the original board could not do, as it would need to send almost 1.56v to the chip just to get it stable in Windows (let alone Prime95.) Still, given my previous issue and the issues experienced by countless other reference 680i/780i owners, I can't say I have any real confidence in the reference boards any more, and I no longer recommend them to others. In fact, I may be switching over to a non-reference 780i board in the near future.

My first 680i was a perfect companion to my E6600. An able OCer, it supported a 1600mhz FSB (for a 3.6ghz FSB) without a single issue for 10 months. The moment I upgraded to a Q6600 however, things changed. It was as if the board's personality did a complete 180. In less than a month, it was declared dead with an unrecoverable "--" code. Note that this was an A1 board, and not an original revision which was known to have poor quad OC support.

The second 680i has been handling the same Quad at a stable 1600mhz FSB (3.6ghz on the chip) for about a month w/o issue, although I've been getting poor memory latency readings (my guess is that it's caused by a bad FSB strap.) This is something the original board could not do, as it would need to send almost 1.56v to the chip just to get it stable in Windows (let alone Prime95.) Still, given my previous issue and the issues experienced by countless other reference 680i/780i owners, I can't say I have any real confidence in the reference boards any more, and I no longer recommend them to others. In fact, I may be switching over to a non-reference 780i board in the near future.

The non-reference 780i SLI boards are the worst 780i SLI boards at present.

I'll agree I haven't liked what I've read about the ASUS boards, but I'm still waiting for more info on the P7N diamond to appear. As of now I've seen one or two people with QX9650's who can't raise their multiplier due to a BIOS issue, but otherwise I've seen a lot of positive impressions, including some very impressive FSB OC results for an nForce chipset. I've never had an MSI board before, but I've heard they're getting pretty good, and I may just give the P7N a try.

Well I am not sure now what we will be doing but looks like my upgrade to a 780i board just crapped out on me right at the month and a half mark.... So far doesnt look goof for the 780is to me...

Well I am not sure now what we will be doing but looks like my upgrade to a 780i board just crapped out on me right at the month and a half mark.... So far doesnt look goof for the 780is to me...

Yeah I'm starting to hear reports of them dying off around the 1.5 to 2 month mark. The 680i SLI boards have been known to die faster than that, or as fast, but it seems most of them lasted up to 3 months.

at kirby, yeah i really like the maximus and most of the ASUS offerings too.

but to be honest i've been trying to build my rig for a long time now but 2 months ago someone stole a whole bunch of my parts so i have been saving up... i just want to move up cause the ECS board i have now sucks...and so does the 8800 gts (320 version).

i mean just see my rig in the signature..its dieing. and bringing me down with it.

Back