• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

780i North Bridge

Kr1z

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Nov 1, 2007
Messages
1,305
Just installed my new eVGA 780i motherboard yesterday, everything seems nice, expect one major problem, the north bridge is crazy hot! And it is effected my overclocking headroom.

And this is having an effect on my CPU and GPU that are closely packed together. I would move the GPU to a lower slot but I am going SLI this week, so it will stay the same anyways.
Does anyone know which way the Tuniq Tower exhausts? I was planning to moving it sideways and leaving the exhaust toward the 120MMs, and I definitely need a better fan for that north bridge, I heard many people putting 60mm fans instead of that POS fan that came with it. Any suggestions on which one to get?
And anything else to get a better airflow? Pretty much did a good job on the cable management, can't see what else I can do, maybe someone else has some better ideas? I know something isn't doing a good job because the second I open the panel I see a 5-6c drop from my CPU. And I seen a good 10c increase in my GPU temps. The only thing that is ice cold is my RAM, even with a nice overclock.
fwkuax.jpg'
 
Nice setup. I put a 60mm fan on mine and it didnt really help. Maybe 2c drop. Sorry I cant help you.
 
Nice setup. I put a 60mm fan on mine and it didnt really help. Maybe 2c drop. Sorry I cant help you.

Thank man, yea I was thinking it wouldn't help much at all either. Really don't know what to do.
 
This is one of those moments when thoughts of watercooling and/or TECs enter one's mind :)

nVidia chipsets are notorious for running really hot, so not much of a surprise there. I'm not sure what specialised NB-cooling solutions exist exactly, but perhaps there's something with heatpipes which can direct the NB heat to the back of the case, where it's more easily exhausted.
 
I have the 680i and I put the Thermalright IFX with an 80mm Noctua fan it and it is much cooler.
 
I put the Scythe 130CFM fan on my cpu cooler, and it blows through, and down...right over the north bridge. In and of itself, it cools the NB chip from nearly not being able to touch it before, to mildly warm, now. So if you can use that thing, it's good all by itself, if you point it right, which, if you're oc'n anyway, I'm assuming you know how to do.
 
Looks familiar!:D

Can't remember now, but I think I was getting high 40's load with my Q6600 at 3GHz... and the fan turned down in the BIOS. Thing is crazy loud at full speed... like WTF were they thinking loud.

I've got an old CPU fan that I was going to put on the northbridge, but because a lot of my project now is about looks (I think it looks pretty crappy), I didn't do it, and just made the sacrifice of speed for a quieter pc.

LMK if you need it...

temps probably were better with mine, because of the arrangement. FWIW

bigpower.jpg
 
I highly advise taking off the mobo's heatsink, clean off the stock TIM, apply arctic ceramique or MX-2 (both are non-conductive), then remount the heatsink afterwards. BTW, it does not void EVGA's RMA policy when you do this.

Also, what is your MCP temp? It is normal for MCP(SB) to run 50c-65c. It is rated far higher and these are normal operating temperatures.

The SSP (NB) temperature cannot be measured on the 780i or by any software means.

My MCP temp ranges from 50c-60c. You can also add a 60mm fan on top of the NB heatsink after removing the stock fan. You can use zip tie, screws, or even double sided tape to keep the fan sitting on the NB heatsink. Just make sure you have enough space inbetween the CPU cooler and NB.

I currently have a 60mm x 25mm fan blowing up instead of blowing down. Having the fan blowing down increased the temp on the GPU which also lead to higher MCP temps from my experience.
 
My two cents -
NOW don't go getting your feathers ruffled by quoted replies....but here goes.

I highly advise taking off the mobo's heatsink, clean off the stock TIM, apply arctic ceramique or MX-2 (both are non-conductive), then remount the heatsink afterwards. BTW, it does not void EVGA's RMA policy when you do this.
- EXCELLENT suggestion. Personally I think the AS ceramique product is inferior to their Silver line. I've personally seen the ceramique product run through a cold-fuse humidity test at the GE sensor labs. The test analyzes the humidity characterisitcs of thermally conductive materials used in RFID tag creation. That's a long way of saying that it is a damn good test for whether your TIM is "good" or not for a CPU. It's also a bit more comprehensive than some cyber-enthusiast with a thermal probe and a tech review website.


The SSP (NB) temperature cannot be measured on the 780i or by any software means.
- Technically, not true. Winbond W83627DHG DOES include a socket for the SPP. It's denoted as "Bridge Controller - Northbridge Temp". It's a pain to access it though. You'll need to edit a BIOS hex flag to "open" the socket, and then give it a reachable address. Because the SPP temperature has a fault tolerance usually 40-50 degrees higher than the CPU, it's a non-issue so not turned on by default in the stock BIOS. In essence, your text should be....

The SSP (NB) temperature cannot be measured (practically) on the 780i or by any software means.


My MCP temp ranges from 50c-60c. You can also add a 60mm fan on top of the NB heatsink after removing the stock fan. You can use zip tie, screws, or even double sided tape to keep the fan sitting on the NB heatsink. Just make sure you have enough space inbetween the CPU cooler and NB.
- These are appropriate temps for air cooling the MCP. May I also suggest filing down the motherboard standoffs from the stock heatsink assembly. Taking about a millimeter off each peg will greatly increase the amount of coverage between the heatsink and the chips. This is what I instruct all the intel guys who build systems for me to do. The stock heatsink seems to suffer dramatically from a lack of contact when the board is assembled at the factory.

-EGA Wrangler
Chemist, Computer Scientist, and Captain of Marines
 
You quoted me!! Noooo.... :D

Not an issue.

Good info about the SSP temp sensor. I wasn't aware that there was actually a way to get the reading off the NB. Now I understand why it was never enabled.

Everest Ultimate provides temp reading for the SSP but the program guestimates the temp and does not actually utilize the sensor.
 
;) - I've seen A LOT of people on this forum get their feathers ruffled by quoted replies. Something to do with their impression of a right to "post integrity" in a free-speech society. Ugh...glad to converse with someone who doesn't give a flip!

-EGA Wrangler
Chemist, Computer Scientist and Captain of Marines
 
Back
Top