• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7800GTX: Which brand?

yogiB

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 16, 2005
Messages
202
Folks,

I need to choose among BFG, XFX, and eVGA.

Which make should I go for and why? Are there any formal reviews that have compared any two of these brands? Are there any measured performance differences?

Also, I'm upgrading from 6600GT. Does it make any sense to get a 6800 Ultra instead of a 7800GTX? A friend of mine suggested this.

Thanks in advance.
 
All of the brands use the same reference design. The only differences are clock speeds, game bundles, warranties, and support. The % differences in clock speed from the reference design closely correspond to the % increase in frames per second. If you overclock manually and your card breaks, you may not be able to RMA it.
 
If the 7800 is in the mix vs the 6600 and 6800 ultra, and the 7800 outperforms the 6xxx's, then 7800 would logically be the choice ie..no, it makes no sense to get a 6800 Ultra if you are considering the 7800 as well. As for company, Imaro's right...all use the same reference board with company "tweaks". I go for the warranty myself, so I say BFG.
 
I just got my 7800GTX just right now:) Go with BFG because they have a lifetime warranty and!!!! it comes OverClocked!
 
yogiB said:
Folks,

I need to choose among BFG, XFX, and eVGA.
Thanks in advance.

The BFG 7800GTXOC is the hot one out of the 3!

Go with the BFG
 
Lifetime warrenty is a big plus. Pick up the 7800 from BFG.
 
Retne said:
Lifetime warrenty is a big plus. Pick up the 7800 from BFG.

Its the fastest stock card and it has VIVO...3 features that set it apart from the rest.
 
kuyaglen said:
Its the fastest stock card
Well actually.....

- XFX are offering an 'Extreme Edition' 7800GTX running at 490/1300.
- Gainward have a 470/1300 7800GTX.
- Asus have a 470/1200 7800GTX (ok, slower memory!).

Nice to see some high-speed alternatives to the BFG appearing. Competition is good. :D
 
My XFX is running at 490 1300 memory. 2 year warrenty & I will not have it 2 years.
 
kuyaglen said:
Its the fastest stock card and it has VIVO...3 features that set it apart from the rest.

All the cards out there are VIVO except the Aopen and i wouldn't buy from them anyways.

BFG = 460/1300
EVGA = 450/1200
Big wooppie! they use the same core and I'm sure the same ram.

Anyways when it comes down to it they are all really the same.
Get a BFG if you can for the warranity, get a eVGA next for the sexy heatsink if yoiu can't find a BFG. ;)
 
I keep hearing bad things about BFG's quality of service...if it's the norm and not just a few bad cases, then it's lifetime warranty of poor service. I'll take a shorter warranty with good service that'll actually DO something if I need it over that.

EVGA Step-Up program is a strong consideration if you're going to shell out for top of the line or near, you can come back later within 90 days and pay the difference if a new card comes out or if your not-quite-top card just isn't as fast as you'd hoped. Although maybe I'm just biased since I just FedEx'ed them my 6800GT to swap for a 7800GTX. They have a BF2 bundle if you give a crap about that kind of thing.

The 7800GTX's core overclocks like mad, which is why some are being released rated quite a bit over the 430MHz that nVidia slapped on it. My pick if I was buying one would be EVGA over the step up program alone, if you're already going to pay $600 to have THE BEST video card, this way you can have a little insurance in case they release one with a higher rating or a 512MB version or whatever. Also from personal experiance their service is great.

Might give the XFX or Gainward cards a good look just because they'll be warranted to run at that speed, but you can most likely OC almost any of them to the same levels yourself without having to pay a premium for a pre-overclocked one.
 
Bfg is a good brand but lifetime warranty? What a joke, most of us change cards every 6 months and even 2 years being the high side is enough.I prefer EVGAmysel, great company to deal with.you cannot go wrong with either.
 
BFG or Evga seem to have the best cards.. i see really no returns on those cards unlike the MSI or Asus or Ggigabyte cards.. i find that odd..

I think EVGA is still the Eng / Ref builder for Nvidia.. That says somthing in my book.
 
Does anyone have an example of how much you would save with the EVGA Step-up program i.e. I trade in my 6800Ultra AGP that's an Evga how much of a credit would they give you towards a 7800 GTX? I don't want a credit that's say $250-300 when I could always get say around $350-400 on the [H] Forums trading stuff.
 
So, if evga came out with a 512 MB 7800 GTX, and by then the 256 had dropped to say $550 and the 512 was $600, evga = free new card?
 
LstOfTheBrunnenG said:
So, if evga came out with a 512 MB 7800 GTX, and by then the 256 had dropped to say $550 and the 512 was $600, evga = free new card?

Yes.the give you what you paid for your card, however your request must be within 90 days of your original purchase.Its great for me since I upgrade so often. It can also make your resale of a card go better too,

For example, I recently purchased a 7800gtx and although I had a 6800 GT , i did not want to wait for the step up (takes about 8 days not including shiping times) I was able to sell here for 310.00 as opposed to say 260 and here is why.My buyer gets it for 310 but i kept the card and submitted for step up, my buyer now gets the 359 i paid toward his gtx, I got approved for step up and was charged an extra 240 plus shipping and my buyer reimbursed me. He ends up getting a GTX for 574.00 . good deal for him and good for me since i wanted instant gratification and with a push
 
i would guess BFG. i would go with whoever has the best warrenty though--

i know this from sad experience--

i got a sick--pny 6800gt that got bad just days out of it's crappy 1year warrenty--and PNY's giving me the run around----don't think there going to do any kind of RMA on it.

i would look for a lifetime warrenty on a $600 card though--after this disaster with the PNY-- : :eek: :eek: :confused:
 
I bought a 6600GT eVGA for the Step-Up program, I could not afford to swing the $$$ for the 7800 GTX outright when I was building my new rig, so this was the next best thing. I got 90 days now to save the $$$ to upgrade to the 7800 GTX now and still be able to game in the meantime. Great idea from eVGA, would be nice if the other companies followed suit and did the same. :D

Edit: Forgot to mention that if you register your eVGA card on their website, they will double the 1 year warranty to 2 years. Yeah, it's not a lifetime warranty like BFG, but still nice of them to give you an extra year.
 
Thanks, people, for the responses. Helpful info.

So, now I gotta figure out whether to go for an OCed card from BFG or XFX (I didn't know XFX had that "Extreme" version. Is it available at NewEgg?), or whether to go with eVGA coz of Step-up program... Damn. Too many choices.

When spending this kind of money, making the "wrong" decision can really weigh on you.

How's XFX Customer Service compared to BFG's?

Have y'all seen any reviews comparing these cards' performaces?
 
Back
Top