7800gtx or X1800xt

air2k5

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 24, 2005
Messages
1,055
Well, I just found out that I am getting a big bonus at my part time job, big for me anyway. It should be around $600. I am going to buy myself a new card, I was thinking of getting a x1800xt because of it's potential, but then the 7800gtx OC is $100 less, is the "potential" of x1800xt worth $100? Then my second question would be if I go with x1800xt would it perform better with Nforce 4 or the ATI?
 
Do a search with exactly what you typed in your topic to get about 10000 other threads about this exact same thing.
 
air2k5 said:
Well, I just found out that I am getting a big bonus at my part time job, big for me anyway. It should be around $600. I am going to buy myself a new card, I was thinking of getting a x1800xt because of it's potential, but then the 7800gtx OC is $100 less, is the "potential" of x1800xt worth $100? Then my second question would be if I go with x1800xt would it perform better with Nforce 4 or the ATI?
It is your call if you want the X1800XT now or wait for the 7800Ultra 512mb version which will be more expensive than an XT (based on current pricing on the XL).

As for performance on NF4 versus ATI, I think both will run just fine regardless of the chipset.
 
If you are planning on the 7800 I would say that getting an SLI motherboard would be a great decision. This way you can add another card later if you feel like it.

If you are going with the x1800XT then go with a crossfire mobo in case. ;)

Now if you want my opinion, you should wait about a week or two before jumping on this since the 512MB GTX will soon hit shelves. I am in the same position as you and "will" wait to see what happens to make sure I am making the right decision.
 
Ingonuts13 said:
If you are planning on the 7800 I would say that getting an SLI motherboard would be a great decision. This way you can add another card later if you feel like it.

If you are going with the x1800XT then go with a crossfire mobo in case. ;)

Now if you want my opinion, you should wait about a week or two before jumping on this since the 512MB GTX will soon hit shelves. I am in the same position as you and "will" wait to see what happens to make sure I am making the right decision.
I was thinking, I am probably going to wait til christmas to see how god the 7800gtx 512mb will be, but mostly hoping that the x1800xt will drop $50. :)
 
air2k5 said:
I was thinking, I am probably going to wait til christmas to see how god the 7800gtx 512mb will be, but mostly hoping that the x1800xt will drop $50. :)
Why christmas? The 512mb will be out shortly. Just wait a little bit.
 
Between those 2 cards the ATI is the better long term buy because of the 512mb ddr and programmable memory controller that can help performance later. The GTX is the better bang for buck out of the 2. And the 512mb gtx will be the ultimate beast. I'd say if it does launch for the rumored $649.00 By Xmas it will be matched with the X1800XT 512. That would be when I buy 2 :D
 
Back
Top