• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7800GTX OC Freezing

peacetilence

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 23, 2004
Messages
2,343
If I set my 7800GTX to 490/1.3 it freezes and does the whole infinite loop thing when I play BF2. This happened when I first started OCing my CPU as well and giving it slightly more voltage fixed it. Anyone else have this issue and know of any work arounds? Seems kind of strange it would freeze like that just upping the GPU 50mhz and the ram 100mhz. I saw no artiffacts or anything either.
 
Yes, overclock your parts all at the same time, without checking the stability of any of them, so you have 3 different parts that might or might not be stable. That'll be easy to figure out the problem, for sure.
 
I guess I didn't make it clear or you're pulling shit out of your ass just to irritate me. I tested the CPU at it's current settings, it's been this way over a week now with no issues of stability and passing prime95 small TFF test overnight. It's just when I went to set my GTX to 490/1.3 and played BF2 it gave me the lockup/infinite loop error. CPU has been stable but maybe I should give it more voltage amd try that out.
 
Well, lets see....it was stable when your GTX was at stock, then you overclocked (by jumping straight to GTX KO speeds without testing small incriments to see what the card can take peak on both core and memory, seperately), now it's not stable. I'd go as far as to say your card is overclocked too high? Or maybe it's voodoo that's causing lockup. Take your pic.
 
The ATI Tool, beta 7 .25 version has nice utility to find the maximum stable clocks. It increments, then heats up the core, increments and so on. Takes a while, but it is pretty accurate.

And, it sounds like the memory. The core errors shows up with artifacts, but memory errors will cause you to dump to desktop, or simply freeze aside from artifacts. Try the same core and lower the memory settings a tad. I also found putting some heat sinks on the back side of the card help the memory OC quite a bit.
 
I realize it might be oc'ed to high but I wanted to know if anything else could be causing it. I ran the coolbits auto for safe oc and that's the speed it gave me. I raised in small increments up until it was 530/1.45 until the coolbits test failed.
 
peacetilence said:
I realize it might be oc'ed to high but I wanted to know if anything else could be causing it. I ran the coolbits auto for safe oc and that's the speed it gave me. I raised in small increments up until it was 530/1.45 until the coolbits test failed.


Well, if it has that much headroom, then the video OC is probably not the problem. But, games use parts of the core that benchmarks and coolbits won't really test. Does it happen right away, or after a couple of hours?

What kind of voltage do you have into your DDR on the mobo? I use at least 2.75 VDIMM for TCCD. I found it made it more stable (at least to 285 FSB). I had similar issues when I ran the CAS too tight. Worked for a while in all the games, but some would freeze. Set it from 2 to 2.5, and the issue went away. Of course that was at 250 FSB.
 
It happens after a little while with the 7800GTX. I haven't gone too far in OCing yet only experimenting. DDR is set to default 2.6v. It only freezes when I oc the 7800GTX though, when it's at stock everything is fine. I thought maybe the 7800GTX might be drawing too much power with my antec 550W 2.0, it's not the greatest PSU I hear. I'll try out ATI tool and will most likely add some aftermarket cooling to the 7800GTX in the future if I can get it stable. I'm thinking it might be the CPU or memory or something as well but I dont know why oc'ing the vid card would effect them unless my PSU was fluctuating, maybe its the motherboard?
 
Well, during games, memory transfers are key. Your RAM really gets hit. 2.6VDIMM is a little low. The first thing I would do is up the voltage to 2.7 at minimum.
 
I think raiding vdim to 2.7 might have actually helped. One problem though, I'm getting little artifacts at 490/1.3. I might have to step up to a KO.
 
I'd step up to the KO. They speed bin the cards, so the KO's are guaranteed to get 490/1300. Good move.
 
Back
Top