7800GTX 512mb availability

Tigerdirect has eVGA in limited stock qty, but they have raised the price from 699 to 749.

So ur going to buy a gtx512mb even though the 7900 and the R580 is coming out soon? Bwhahahah

mjassbong said:
Tigerdirect has eVGA in limited stock qty, but they have raised the price from 699 to 749.

in france the gtx 512 has barely even made it to reviewers... since launch, no shop has EVER had it in stock (i called them). when the 7800gtx and gt whas launched, we had them in stock the same day as you guies in the states. obviously nvidia's "immediate availability" hardocp was praising was only in the states, and only really for launch day...

gtx4u said:
So ur going to buy a gtx512mb even though the 7900 and the R580 is coming out soon? Bwhahahah

because i can afford to.

I know several people that have them, they are still being shipped and hopefully I will be receiving mine in a week or so.

I do think they nvidia is are doing better than they did with the 6800 Ultra or ATi the X800XT or the X1800(any series) so I'm not too concerned that mine won't shop.

Hell, I waited two months on a 6800 Ultra from three 0places and still never got it, and one month on an X800XT PE and had to settle for an X800XT non-PE. I feel fine over this situation so far. Now give me another month of it and I will cancel altogether and hope the next series will be out before next Quakecon (which is doubtful anyway).

BBA said:
I know several people that have them, they are still being shipped and hopefully I will be receiving mine in a week or so.

I do think they nvidia is are doing better than they did with the 6800 Ultra or ATi the X800XT or the X1800(any series) so I'm not too concerned that mine won't shop.

Hell, I waited two months on a 6800 Ultra from three 0places and still never got it, and one month on an X800XT PE and had to settle for an X800XT non-PE. I feel fine over this situation so far. Now give me another month of it and I will cancel altogether and hope the next series will be out before next Quakecon (which is doubtful anyway).

it took me 5 minutes to find and buy an x800xt pe in a street shop. they actually were available in france in decent quantities.

by the way, x1800 are available everywhere here, and abundantly available at e-tailors in the usa... shops here are dead on MSRP, so that's a moderatly good sign...

There's no question that the X1800XT is FAR easier to find than the GTX 512.

However, you may have to wait right now, but you can get the GTX 512, it's not vaporware. It took me three weeks from first order to having both in hand, so it's not impossible, you have to wait.

To be honest, a single X1800XT vs a GTX 512 is a fairly even battle. Thought the GTX 512 is a bit faster overall, it's not a blowout IMO.

IMO, the GTX 512 was meant to be run be run in SLI, which makes is extremely expensive, but also the fastest current solution.

I would have been tempted to go with the X1800XT if CrossFire was a little more proven and available.

Bottom line, I'm building a high end machine, A8N32-SLI, 2GB Corsair 3500LL Pro, Athlon 64 X2 4800+, so anything other than GTX 512 just wasn't congruous with the rest of the system.

Yeha, its def. out there. I had to camp newegg for a week or two but i got my bfg 3 days after i ordered it over a week ago. And its like....perfomancegasm whenevre i use it.

gtx4u said:

I'd rather keep trying for the gtx512 we can't get than wait and keep trying
for the 7900 and R580 we can't get.

LyCoS said:
why wont the big [H] say anything ?? I WANT MY CARDS

This is an interesting question. [H] was all over the X1800 launch, and the XT being held off a month past the XL's. Yet not one word about the complete lack of 512MB GTX's out there. Things that make you go, hmmm.

fallguy said:
This is an interesting question. [H] was all over the X1800 launch, and the XT being held off a month past the XL's. Yet not one word about the complete lack of 512MB GTX's out there. Things that make you go, hmmm.

http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=ODg1LDE0

"You can buy two 512 MB GeForce 7800 GTX video cards — today — and enjoy the best gaming experience on a consumer PC to date" (from "the bottom line")

oh yeah ? i can't find 1, yet 2 !!! :rolleyes:

"Introduction:

NVIDIA simply refuses to give ATI a chance."

with the availability of the gtx 512 nvidia IS giving ati a chance (i really don't want too come to this tho...)

i hate when marketing arises your hopes for nothing. the worst part is that i'm not just some ati fan pissing on nvidia, i actually DO want to buy that card...

The 512mb card is like a PE edition of ATI per ATI's own words.

Anyways I got two of them mighty fast not sure what it's like now but I got mine fast no delays.

I didn't see any problems got everything the first week and I think people confuse availability or supply issues like ATI has had lately compared to Nvidia's 512mb version just being overly popular.

7800GTX 512mb probably is more popular than the x1800xt I know ATI is in stock all over now but who is actually buying these cards probably a handful which is why I think the price on the XL went down so far. No point with the ATI cards Nvidia cards have better bundles and same or better performance and lower prices and have been out for months.

The PE edition of ATI's card from what I gathered was more of a supply issue meaning there were 0 cards and a few buyers in this case it seems there are tons of buyers and supply is stripped immediately once stock is in place which has been the case since release.

eVGA alone speaking with their rep that week they shipped out 45 step ups 512mb versions I was one of them and don't forget they sent cards to retailers. Alot of peeps are also buying two 512mb cards for the ultimate gaming machine on the planet. I mean hey the best card you can have today and it's popular? No way :). Anyways I hope whoever is waiting get's one soon they are pretty kickass not to mention quiet as hell I am very impressed.

.::MAGE::. said:
Anyways I got two of them mighty fast not sure what it's like now but I got mine fast no delays.

The PE edition of ATI's card from what I gathered was more of a supply issue meaning there were 0 cards and a few buyers in this case it seems there are tons of buyers and supply is stripped immediately once stock is in place which has been the case since release.

eVGA alone speaking with their rep that week they shipped out 45 step ups 512mb versions I was one of them and don't forget they sent cards to retailers. Alot of peeps are also buying two 512mb cards for the ultimate gaming machine on the planet. I mean hey the best card you can have today and it's popular? No way :). Anyways I hope whoever is waiting get's one soon they are pretty kickass not to mention quiet as hell I am very impressed.

You gathered wrong. There were some XT/PE's available, just not many at all. If there were 0 as you claim, then nobody would have had one. And it was actually bought off a retail shelf, unlike any 512MB GTX's. A "few buyers"? How can you back this up? The XT/PE was the fastest card out, and there was a huge demand for it.

"A lot of peeps" are buying two of these cards? Where are they buying all these cards? I dont see then in stock anywhere. The reports I have read for people who spoke with eVGA, said they are prohibiting any more step-up programs for the card. MonarchPC and others show a January ETA. Some shops have begun to delist the card because the availability is so bad.

The simple fact is, the 512MB GTX's are in very, very short supply. Like like the XT/PE was a few years ago. Yet reviewers dont tell this, nor do they tell the $250 difference between the X1800XT and 7800 GTX 512 price. Certain websites were all over it back then, and still today reminding everyone about it.

fallguy said:
You gathered wrong. There were some XT/PE's available, just not many at all. If there were 0 as you claim, then nobody would have had one. And it was actually bought off a retail shelf, unlike any 512MB GTX's. A "few buyers"? How can you back this up? The XT/PE was the fastest card out, and there was a huge demand for it.

"A lot of peeps" are buying two of these cards? Where are they buying all these cards? I dont see then in stock anywhere. The reports I have read for people who spoke with eVGA, said they are prohibiting any more step-up programs for the card. MonarchPC and others show a January ETA. Some shops have begun to delist the card because the availability is so bad.

The simple fact is, the 512MB GTX's are in very, very short supply. Like like the XT/PE was a few years ago. Yet reviewers dont tell this, nor do they tell the $250 difference between the X1800XT and 7800 GTX 512 price. Certain websites were all over it back then, and still today reminding everyone about it.

I stated that I "gathered" which implies from what I saw around and wasn't proclaiming facts regarding that card.

How can you claim the XT/PE was in high demand yet disregard what I stated about the 7800 512mb GTX? Seems odd ;). My view on the 512mb card is that of information from the source such as eVGA they even called me personally and asked if I was on the list for the first 45 card stepups which went out. I don't know about you but when alot of people that actually buy the card request two of them that adds up. I don't see anyone clamoring for 2 x1800xt's or vast amounts of people asking seeking out ATI's newest cards it seems more are interested in their older generation.

I appreciate your reports but when I experience the exact opposite of what you are saying I am going to have to disagree. Why would they have to limit the step ups? Maybe too many GTX 256mb owners requesting 2 cards? That would make sense but who knows for sure? I and most aren't physically there to eye the inventory personally.

The 7800GTX 512mb version isn't a ghost card and really no matter what anyone says it's up to personal opinion on what is short supply regardless of what numbers are thrown out there.

Again I won't argue about the XT/PE it's old news but that is the attitude that was around at the time. The GTX 512mb even if it's in stock with only 8 or 10 then is within a day out of stock what does that tell you?

That's demand baby 700+ a pop and you expect a retailer online or brick and mortar to carry 50 of them?

I don't care what fud people throw around or I do but the 512mb GTX is hot and it is pure demand and unless someone produces a spec sheet from Nvidia with total number shipped and then everyone decides on what is short supply then maybe I will change :).

Glad I got the hottest card on the market performance wise the first week it was out and could have had it the second day if I had to buy it retail not through step up.

I stated that I "gathered" which implies from what I saw around and wasn't proclaiming facts regarding that card.

How can you claim the XT/PE was in high demand yet disregard what I stated about the 7800 512mb GTX? Seems odd ;). My view on the 512mb card is that of information from the source such as eVGA they even called me personally and asked if I was on the list for the first 45 card stepups which went out. I don't know about you but when alot of people that actually buy the card request two of them that adds up. I don't see anyone clamoring for 2 x1800xt's or vast amounts of people asking seeking out ATI's newest cards it seems more are interested in their older generation.

Where did I disregard the high demand for the GTX? Sure there is, it is arguably the fastest card out. Why would someone want 2xXT's? That doesnt make any sense. If you dont see a lot of people wanting the XT, you are not looking. At $250 cheaper, its a much better buy for the money, that you can actually buy. So is a 256MB GTX for that matter.

I appreciate your reports but when I experience the exact opposite of what you are saying I am going to have to disagree. Why would they have to limit the step ups? Maybe too many GTX 256mb owners requesting 2 cards? That would make sense but who knows for sure? I and most aren't physically there to eye the inventory personally.

My guess is that they stopped step-up's because they dont have the cards. And it speaks volumes as to how bad the 512MB GTX availability is. The good news is, the poster who spoke with eVGA said they have an annoucement to make regarding the issue. Hopefully to prolong the step-up time.

The 7800GTX 512mb version isn't a ghost card and really no matter what anyone says it's up to personal opinion on what is short supply regardless of what numbers are thrown out there.

I dont recall anyone saying it is a ghost card. It is in a very, very short supply, just as the XT/PE was.

Again I won't argue about the XT/PE it's old news but that is the attitude that was around at the time. The GTX 512mb even if it's in stock with only 8 or 10 then is within a day out of stock what does that tell you?

The same thing it told me when the XT/PE came in stock, and then sold out. People want to buy it.

That's demand baby 700+ a pop and you expect a retailer online or brick and mortar to carry 50 of them?

MSRP is $650, so CompUSA and the like would sell it for that. I never said I expect them to carry 50 of them, please dont put words in my mouth. What I was saying is that, at least a retail store had some to sell off the shelf. The 512MB GTX isnt even on their website, or other retail chains. Its "online" only.

I don't care what fud people throw around or I do but the 512mb GTX is hot and it is pure demand and unless someone produces a spec sheet from Nvidia with total number shipped and then everyone decides on what is short supply then maybe I will change :).

I wouldnt agree with "pure demand". I do think the that demand far out weighs the quanity, just as with the XT/PE. I dont think this card is in any more demand than the 256MG GTX when it came out, and other than a week or two, they were not hard to come by. I think its a combination of severe lack of cards (or ram for the cards), and demand that has created this problem.

Glad I got the hottest card on the market performance wise the first week it was out and could have had it the second day if I had to buy it retail not through step up.

Yes it was available for the first day or two, even before its launch. However, once the initial cards were sold out, there has been virtually no more show up. Sure there has been a few here, and a few there, but its nothing like the other 7800 launches. Which is what this thread is about, the availability of the 512MB GTX. Its a lot worse than the other 7800 cards. Yet most websites and reviews do not show this at all. Which is a diservice to their readers.

And to back up what I said, about eVGA and no more 512MB step-up's;

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9139&whichpage=9

Due to an overwhelming response to the new e-GeForce 7800GTX 512MB video card, customers are experiencing a very long wait time in the EVGA Step-Up process. We know that our customers deserve nothing but the best from EVGA and should never be scraficed to second best at all, but, we have to say we are very sorry to those members who are still on the waiting list for a 512MB card. The availability is extrmely low and supply is way less than the demand.
We also understand, that our customers demand high performance products, so we have come up with a plan to tackle this issue head-on and meet the needs of our customers.
We hope that customers can benefit from this program and Step-Up to the next power level of game playing experience in time for the holiday season.

Customers with select video cards in the Step-Up queue for a 512MB card will have the option to purchase a second video card of the same type giving them SLI capability at a massive discount. Alternatively we are offering a couple of other options for you to choose from that might benefit you or better suit your needs in time for the holidays. Please see the options below.

Step-Up Option 1
For those already in the Step-Up queue that have 2 cards in an SLI configuration and choose to leave the queue.
e-GeForce 7800GTX KO Edition_____$200 Cash Back
e-GeForce 7 Series Card__________$150 Cash Back
e-GeForce 6 Series Card__________$ 50 Cash Back

Step-Up Option 2
Keep your existing video card and Step-Up to a 2nd EVGA card of the same type for an SLI configuration
e-Geforce 7800GTX KO Edition___ $ 200 Discount Off EVGA MSRP___ Plus $100 EVGA Bucks
e-GeForce 7 Series Card________ $ 150 Discount Off EVGA MSRP___ Plus $ 50 EVGA Bucks
e-GeForce 6 Series Card________ $ 50 Discount Off EVGA MSRP___ Plus $ 20 EVGA Bucks
(6600LE and above only)

Step-Up Option 3
Step-Up to one of the following EVGA graphics cards
e-GeForce 7800GTX KO Edition___ Normal Step-Up procedure____ Plus $100 EVGA Bucks
e-GeForce 7 Series Card________ Normal Step-Up procedure____ Plus $ 50 EVGA Bucks
e-GeForce 6 Series Card________ Normal Step-Up procedure____ Plus $ 20 EVGA Bucks
(6600LE and above only)

Step-Up Option 4
Remain in the queue and hope that more cards might become available

* These options are only available to those members that are already in the Step-Up Program queue up to and including December 10th, 2005.
* This will be a special one time Step-Up Program offer, and not valid with any other offer
* Choosing either Option 1, 2 or 3 will be considered official completion of your Step-Up Request

eVGA has alot fo the 256mb versions and makes sense they want to get rid of the step ups and the mass produced 256mb cards glad they made an announcement.

Fallguy my remarks regarding the XT/PE which has been called the phantom edition many times which is also why I brought up the ghost card term since that was what the card was called at the time.

Anyways glad I got mine in short order and feel for those that are waiting that stinks :(.

fallguy said:
I dont recall anyone saying it is a ghost card. It is in a very, very short supply, just as the XT/PE was.

mark my words: it's a ghost card in france.

Fallguy my remarks regarding the XT/PE which has been called the phantom edition many times

doesnt mean it was called "phantom edition" that it was true. i had no problems buying one off the shelf.

by the way the x1800xt is selling well, but that's not the subject of conversation here. it IS the 7800gtx 512mb's availability who's being questioned. It isn't an ati vs nvidia debate. it's a "why the hell can't i find 1 card in france when nvidia is advertising availability all over" and "if i'm having that problem, and if lots of other people are having the same problem, why isn't [H] saying anything when that's all they could talk about regarding the x1800xt".

Now, limited supply doesnt disturb me one bit, i can always queue up, NO, never was, we don't expect will be availability IS an issue.

They are back in stock already at ZZF... maybe the light came on and folks started cancelling their orders.... :p

Back