• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

7800 now, or wait for R520?

veras

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 6, 2003
Messages
125
Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a moron and I don't want to start a war - but I'm really, really jonesing for a high end upgrade and I'm curious if I should just bite the bullet and grab a 7800 GTX now, or wait a month(? more?) and see what's up ATI's sleeve. Is there a chance it's going to be significantly better/cheaper, or is it just very likely it will be incredibly similar - and better at some things, worse at others?
 
Considering we dont know how R520 will perform exactly, since no proof has been released thats official, we cant really tell you. Ide get a 7800 tho...
 
I wouldn't bet on it being cheaper. Contrary to the fantasies of many, performance is probably going to be on par. The most important thing for me is which features the R520 will bring to set it apart from the G70. HDR+AA is a good bet since R520 is rumoured to support FP10 HDR which has a much smaller memory footprint than FP16 and should be usable with available bandwidth. However, it has yet to be seen what kind of IQ tradeoff this brings if any.

You could always build now and sell the GTX if necessary. But that's risky since it seems the prices on the GTX may fall relatively quickly. Or you can do like me and give ATi a month to show their hand before committing to your build. If after that there's nothing (we are getting strong indications of early fall availability) and you're getting impatient then go for it.
 
veras said:
Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a moron and I don't want to start a war - but I'm really, really jonesing for a high end upgrade and I'm curious if I should just bite the bullet and grab a 7800 GTX now, or wait a month(? more?) and see what's up ATI's sleeve. Is there a chance it's going to be significantly better/cheaper, or is it just very likely it will be incredibly similar - and better at some things, worse at others?

No one knows for sure.. I have a feeling it will be faster..

The reason why I went with the 7800GTX is because its the fastest thing availble now.. And Even if the R520 launchs soon. I'm afraid I may be waiting a long time for availabilty... But When it does come out, and it is a much better performer. then I can jump ship.. :p
 
Yeah, I don't particularily want to wait until early Fall. Doing some basic scouring I saw a lot of mention of late July, but it seems like there is a lot to bank on (actually happening in July, cards being available, cards being available in CANADA (oh man, this one was rough on the last paper launch)). I'm leaning towards just buying the 7800, then if the R520 is better ditching the 7800 after the first revision of the R520, 4-6 months down the road from release or whatever. I don't mind taking a couple hundred dollars hit on the sale/repurchase, although it is a bit of a hassle. Basically, I didn't play any of the big shooters of the past year (Doom 3, HL2) and I just picked up the BF2 demo and I <3 - so I'd like to put together a rig that will drive those games all pretty-like in 1920x1200.
 
well what card do u have now?...if its like a 6800gt/x800xl or higher then id just w8 for the r520...but if u got the cash buy the 7800gtx then when the r520 comes out...get that...
 
Building a new rig at the end of July, going out of town until then, but have picked all my other components. If ATI hasn't released any information or to at least show a demo or SOMETHING to keep people who are on the fence something to possibly wait for then I'm not waiting any longer. They showed off cross fire, why don't they show off what the R520 can do with some game benchmarks or 3dmarks (from an impartial source) to keep us folks who might be willing to wait a reason to. If there is still no information from them when I get back from my trip then too bad, my money is going to a 7800gtx. I'm not waiting for ifs/could haves/insert random speculation here, when I can buy today.
 
Get the 7800 that way you don't have to stress over possible release dates and or actual availability. Not to mention that when the R520 comes it, there is a good chance that NVIDIA might have another product out to spoil it.

I have heard dates as late as October. So that would give you 3 months of gaming bliss instead of just waiting.

There will always be something better around the corner, so I just get it when I want it and have no regrets.
 
I dont think the R520 is any better than the 7800 because they would have at least done a paper launch so people that are buying new cards would at least know what the performance. I would get the 7800 now if you really need a card.
 
If I were you I'd wait - my gut feeling (based upon no evidence whatsoever!) is that R520 will have a slight performance edge on 7800GTX. Also, there may be a faster 'Ultra' NV part launched around the same time that may be worth a look? The competition from R520 and the possible appearance of a faster NV GPU should help drive down prices on the GTX model if you decide to go for one anyway. But it's certainly easier to *tell* someone to wait 3+ months than to *be* the one waiting for that amount of time. ;)
 
coz said:
If I were you I'd wait - my gut feeling (based upon no evidence whatsoever!) is that R520 will have a slight performance edge on 7800GTX

And we NEED something faster than the 7800GTX?! :p

Ok, ok I know - faster is always better... I'll echo the sentiments already expressed here - when you're ready to spend the cash, get what's available (it's why I got my 6800U & not the XTPE).

Choice - game now (very competently) or game... when?
 
go for the 7800GTX IMHO. I, too, think r520 will be faster - but it's a safe bet to say it's nothing that's going to put the 7800 to shame. The release-date seems to be too vague at this point, so why wait these months and not enjoy the best gameplay of all times right now?

Then again, as someone already stated, that of course depends a lot on what you have now - so if you own a x850xt or anything similar forget about what i said before, of course :)
 
Back
Top