7800 Gt with 400 wat power supply?

Ron1jed

Supreme [H]ardness
Is that posible. I have a p4 ht 3.0. On board sound....one hard 200 gig sata drive. IF i get a 7800 gt with my computer blow up.......or just not power on due to power.

One time (i'm a tech) some guy installed a vid card and his games ran like ass. Then he got a new power supple and it fixed his games up. I guess the card wasn't getting enough juice. Kinda weird. Anyways. Is there a way to test a gernic peice of shit power supply to see how good it is. Or just judge by weight. Ones that dont' weigh alot always suck....

well PSU's deffinitely affect performance .went from no name 350 watt to a truepower 480 and my AQ score went from 32000 to 48000 big differences. gif your PSU is no name get a new one.

ya i knew the answer to that but fuck. I don't wanna drop another 100 bux just for a 520 wat. Sons of bitches. Grrrr. Why do people even make gernic power supplies. Just to say "hey you get this case AND a peice of shit power supply that your gonna throw away!! What a deal! " But then again i guess a peice of shit power is alright for average system and for people that don't have massive video cards!! :(

First of all, you could just get 430W, 450W or 480W. You don't have to get 520W. Even if the wattage is lower, it doesn't matter. Just make sure the PSU is good quality and not a generic one.

Why is it $100? I bought an Athena 500w for the computer in my sig for $45 and mine runs great, ten times better than the generic 450w my case came with.

Enjoicube said:
well PSU's deffinitely affect performance .went from no name 350 watt to a truepower 480 and my AQ score went from 32000 to 48000 big differences. gif your PSU is no name get a new one.

I am sorry, but that is flat out wrong, in no way does a PSU effect performance, unless of course it is affecting system stability..

As for the original OP's question, yes if you are running a generic brand PSU, namely something from PowMAX or a Deer, they are awful, while they may run fine today, they will be feeding somewhat dirty power to your components and its only a matter of time before your luck runs out and something burns up, or gives up.

The general misconception on this forum though is that you have to have this huge PSU wattage ratings, if you have a quality PSU from a quality vendor such as a Fortron or a Zippy/Emac then most of their 350watt PSUs have higher ratings then the 700watt PSU from the generic company.

If you are only running a single 7800GT your power constraints are not too bad, I would browse the PSU forums and find yourself a nice cheap, effective PSU, I dont see why you would want to spend anymore, unless you plan on running a lot of power hungry components later. Still though a 7800GT does not suck as much power as the previous generation, it is still neccessary to have quality power coming to it, but I think it only asks for a 330 watt PSU, which probablly means even a high quality 350watt PSU could run it fine.

UltimaParadox said:
I am sorry, but that is flat out wrong, in no way does a PSU effect performance, unless of course it is affecting system stability..

As for the original OP's question, yes if you are running a generic brand PSU, namely something from PowMAX or a Deer, they are awful, while they may run fine today, they will be feeding somewhat dirty power to your components and its only a matter of time before your luck runs out and something burns up, or gives up.

The general misconception on this forum though is that you have to have this huge PSU wattage ratings, if you have a quality PSU from a quality vendor such as a Fortron or a Zippy/Emac then most of their 350watt PSUs have higher ratings then the 700watt PSU from the generic company.

If you are only running a single 7800GT your power constraints are not too bad, I would browse the PSU forums and find yourself a nice cheap, effective PSU, I dont see why you would want to spend anymore, unless you plan on running a lot of power hungry components later. Still though a 7800GT does not suck as much power as the previous generation, it is still neccessary to have quality power coming to it, but I think it only asks for a 330 watt PSU, which probablly means even a high quality 350watt PSU could run it fine.

Yup. What he said.

As a side note the wattage that is mentioned to run a certain card, such as the 7800gt, is total system wattage. So they are saying if you want to use this card in your system make sure your power supply is XXX whats minimum.

For the system the OP mentioned, a quality 400 watt psu will be more than ample...

word. i think i migh buy a antec 430 from comp usa....I hate waiting for shipping

I picked up a Antec Smartpower 500 watt PCI-e ready. Best PSU EVER. Pretty cheap online, and can power pretty much anything you throw at it :p. Its also pretty quiet.

Back