780: EVGA worth $40 over PNY?

matt9669

Limp Gawd
Looking at 780s, I need a blower-style card for my case. Best prices I'm seeing new on the web for new 780's right now have the EVGA reference @ $510, and I would prefer sticking with EVGA ... but I saw a PNY reference card @ $470 ...

(Been awhile since I posted here at the [H], not sure if store links are appropriate - can include if so.)

I have recently heard that all the EVGA cards are coming with the B1 stepping, no idea on the PNY's. Also, warranty service, resale value, not sure. Probably overthinking my purchase (like always, heh) but $40 is not chump change, so any thoughts appreciated.

Well, let's see what EVGA offers over PNY: EVGA has a step up program but ONLY within 90 days of purchase and only if you register. Aside from that, their warranty is like everyone elses unless you purchase (yes, it costs $) an extended warranty. I think PNY has a lifetime warranty for some SKUs, while EVGA warranty is 2-3 years depending on model with the option pay for an extended warranty (expensive).

Keep in mind that *all* reference cards are built and verified by nvidia, and AIB producers merely slap their sticker on it and that's it - there are no hardware differences between various brands of reference cards. So with that being the case, is EVGA's customer service worth 40$ more? Their CS is great, but to answer that question, I would say absolutely not worth 40$ more. I actually had an RMA with PNY years ago and they were very easy to deal with. They don't have EVGA's reputation, but their CS is good - very good.

IMHO get the PNY if it's a reference model. The question becomes more ambiguous if you want an aftermarket card, but of course I don't think PNY produces aftermarket cards.

In my opinion evga 's service is one of the best, or the best of any graphics card manufacturer

I had a PNY 570, and now have a PNY 660. No problems, stock as stock cards can be, no funny business.

Thanks for the input folks - think I will go with the PNY and use the $40 on the next upgrade :D

Go with the EVGA 780 SC ACX if you can. Worth every penny!

I just received mine the other night and it OC'd well (1250) on air and the ACX HSF is quiet. Didn't see temps go above 60 in Batman AO or Bioshock and couldn't hear the ACX over my case fans.

Confirmed last night mine has the -B1 chip when I swapped the ACX to water.

Plus EVGA has great service.

This is the one I picked up: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130918

I paid $480 w/ the $10 MIR last week. It is now $534 but worth every penny IMO w/ the games.

Amazon has it for $519. Might be able to price match if you have to buy from NE.

You might also want to look at the MSI Lightning. $514 after MIR.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127754

Back