780 ACX or Windforce 3 cooler

Slade

2[H]4U
So I -accidently- bought a 780GTX with titan cooler. To be honest, the 670gtx it is replacing was dead silent. It was the Gigabyte model with the WF3 cooler. I couldn't find anything concrete off the website or their forums. So anyone know of EVGA or Gigabyte selling those separately? Anyone with either cooler moving to a waterblock looking to sell it off?

still doesn't mean no one may have one they want to sell, hence the 2nd part. Also the gigabyte rep may make a nice offer!

Just a heads up- EVGA has the ACX cooler available on their website for preorder now.

If you ask nicely, things happen.

Got to admit that its impressive that EVGA would offer their custom cooler to purchase separately and at a VERY reasonable cost as well. No other manufacturer I know of has done this in the past. Kudos to EVGA.

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=100-FS-2790-B9

Holy hell, that is cheap! If that isn't a pricing mistake, and eVGA can really really sell those @ $40 and make a profit, it goes to show you just how overpriced most aftermarket cooling solutions really are:rolleyes:..

Holy hell, that is cheap! If that isn't a pricing mistake, and eVGA can really really sell those @ $40 and make a profit, it goes to show you just how overpriced most aftermarket cooling solutions really are:rolleyes:..

And a backplate is nearly half the price. Give me a break. :rolleyes:

Wow that was quick... the other day it was pre-order and I submitted an order... now its on auto-notify... heh word travels quick.

Just a question guys,

Is the ACX cooler really that good?

Its a great cooler, I have a GTX 780 ACX and a GTX 780 Classified ACX. I like them a lot, can't even hear them running unless until you really push the fans close to 100%.

I think the ACX cooler is quite nice, but at low fan speeds I get coil-whine. If you have a lot of fans you probably won't hear this, but I'm watercooling so most of my fans are quiet, running @ 5v.

I wish this would fit on the short bus gtx 670 :). Great deal for 780 / titan owners though!

I think the ACX cooler is quite nice, but at low fan speeds I get coil-whine. If you have a lot of fans you probably won't hear this, but I'm watercooling so most of my fans are quiet, running @ 5v.

I see that some people have whine, but I am really not hearing any whine even w/out my case fans on. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Fan speed has nothing to do with coil whine. Coil whine occurs under load when the coils resonate at a certain frequency. This most often occurs when framerates are in the hundreds if not in the thousands. You can run the 3DMARK13 Ice Storm demo and hear it because the framerate is so high on a high end card. If you enable V-Sync, you will likely never hear any coil whine on any video card.

I see that some people have whine, but I am really not hearing any whine even w/out my case fans on. Luck of the draw, I suppose.

Naa, not really, just depends on the application which exposes it. You may never run any app or game that exposes it, or you may have V-sync enabled which would also prevent it.

I found out recently that if the fans are at 39% they make something like a resonance. Turn it up to 43% and the sound goes away. It's on the EVGA forum somewhere.

Fan speed has nothing to do with coil whine. Coil whine occurs under load when the coils resonate at a certain frequency. This most often occurs when framerates are in the hundreds if not in the thousands. You can run the 3DMARK13 Ice Storm demo and hear it because the framerate is so high on a high end card. If you enable V-Sync, you will likely never hear any coil whine on any video card.

I tried what you said and it's true! But really, how is this ever an issue using any high end card such as the 780? Where else do you get into the hundreds or thousands of fps? Even on Source games (okay, they're limited to like 300fps and maybe don't load the card or cards like that benchmark), I don't get this sound. And I really didn't buy two of them to experience any game at 720p in the crazy high fps range. Honest question here.

Last edited by a moderator:
On another note, on the website, in stock ready for order while supplies last...

I tried what you said and it's true! But really, how is this ever an issue using any high end card such as the 780? Where else do you get into the hundreds or thousands of fps?
Ah, coil whine. The bane of my existence.

If anything, it's because they're high-end cards that coil whine becomes more noticeable an issue. More components under a higher proportion of stress while consuming more power just increases the likelihood that the interplay between components will create a buzzing or whining pitch that is increasingly audible to the human ear.

I've found lower end cards never really gave me any coil whine, and I have had less whine, and less often, from higher-end cards that draw less power (like all the 600-series cards I've tried).

Plus, it's not always limited to high fps; I've found Crysis and BF3 made my cards squeal like a pig even at 30-60fps. Folding also always created at least some whine on all of my cards.

I found out recently that if the fans are at 39% they make something like a resonance. Turn it up to 43% and the sound goes away. It's on the EVGA forum somewhere.

I tried what you said and it's true! But really, how is this ever an issue using any high end card such as the 780? Where else do you get into the hundreds or thousands of fps? Even on Source games (okay, they're limited to like 300fps and maybe don't load the card or cards like that benchmark), I don't get this sound. And I really didn't buy two of them to experience any game at 720p in the crazy high fps range. Honest question here.

That's why most people don't notice coil whine because the people that are buying a high end video card are likely playing demanding games at high resolutions which never exposes the coil whine because the framerates are lower than hundreds. The only time most people hear it is when benching without V-sync on a less demanding benchmark or some games don't cap the V-sync during scene changes and the framerates will jump to the hundreds or thousands for a few seconds exposing the sounds. I keep V-sync enabled all the time so I don't ever notice it unless I'm benching for the hell of it. Its normal though, it just annoys some people, and then some people seem to think it means their video card is defective, which it isn't.

Ah, coil whine. The bane of my existence.

If anything, it's because they're high-end cards that coil whine becomes more noticeable an issue. More components under a higher proportion of stress while consuming more power just increases the likelihood that the interplay between components will create a buzzing or whining pitch that is increasingly audible to the human ear.

I've found lower end cards never really gave me any coil whine, and I have had less whine, and less often, from higher-end cards that draw less power (like all the 600-series cards I've tried).

Plus, it's not always limited to high fps; I've found Crysis and BF3 made my cards squeal like a pig even at 30-60fps. Folding also always created at least some whine on all of my cards.

I've never noticed it under low framerates, I'm not saying you're wrong but that scenario would be far less common. Its extreme framerates that tend to cause it the most.

My Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB coil whined under normal loads (not just when FPS was in the thousands). RMA'd to Gigabyte and will be receiving the card back on Monday. I emailed them and asked what they did to repair it and they said they updated the BIOS... Not holding my breath that updating the BIOS fixed the issue.

My Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB coil whined under normal loads (not just when FPS was in the thousands). RMA'd to Gigabyte and will be receiving the card back on Monday. I emailed them and asked what they did to repair it and they said they updated the BIOS... Not holding my breath that updating the BIOS fixed the issue.

Maybe you'll get lucky but I wouldn't count on it. Its usually the applications not the card that expose the noise.

Speaking of whine, do you guys hear it when you exit Unigine Valley (when they show the credits)?

For what its worth guys, you can also have coil whine in your PSU also, it just may never have been an issue until you installed a new video card which was more power demanding. Sometimes its hard to tell if the coil whine is coming from the PSU or video card since they're usually close together, but both have coils in them.

Speaking of whine, do you guys hear it when you exit Unigine Valley (when they show the credits)?

I get some light whining, if my fps is insanely high (including the exit valley screen). I game with my fps capped at 120, so it's rare when that happens.

I do a little with my 7970s. I also get it in the menus of older games when FPS shoot through the roof.

Back