• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

775 upgrade path?

bobstone

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 3, 2005
Messages
361
hey all, my main desktop has a C2Q Q9450.

I am thinking that I will wait till SB-E from intel which I think will be out 3rd Q 2011.

assuming all that, it there any 775 cpu that would show a noticeable difference. or should I just stick with this one till the SB-E is out?

I game, but don't do the overclock thing, never saw a good enough performance increase to warrant me spending time getting a stable OC. ( just me, just my opinion, feel free to disagree, wont change my mind!)

any way basic should I upgrade cpu now or later , the later being a full MB/CPU/RAM upgrade which I will do no matter what.

Thanks
Bob
 
Stick with what you have. There are now no cost-effective CPU upgrades whatsoever for that LGA 775 platform. And if Newegg prices are to be believed, expect to pay a whopping $330 (for a Q9650) just to even get a barely noticeable improvement in performance (and Newegg also charges a whopping $275 for even a Q9550). All of the other currently available quad-cores are downgrades from your current Q9450. No new quad-core CPUs will be coming out for this plaform for the remainder of its production lifecycle. And the only "new" CPUs that have come out within the past year or so have all been higher-clocked refreshes of low-end dual-core CPUs such as the Pentium and Celeron lines.

So in other words, any CPU that performs any better than your current Q9450 is now way, way, way overpriced for the performance benefit.
 
Last edited:
cool, I was noticing the prices my self after I asked, thanks for the heads up.

Bob
 
You can get a Q9550 used for around $150 US. MC used to sell these at that price new but their supply has dried up. However since you have a Q9450 it would only be reasonable if you can sell your Q9450 and get a Q9550 for less than probably $30 total.
 
If I were in your situation I would just stick with what I have. The q9450 will be fine for the next year and by the time you upgrade to SB-E you will feel like you got your money's worth out of it. Even if you could get a Q9650 really cheap, I don't think you would see that much of an improvement anyways.
 
Save your money. Your next upgrade should just be a new socket/mobo, because you're going to have to end up buying new ram anyway due to the switch from ddr2 to ddr3. Save the $150-250 you have now and put that towards a new SB system when they're available.

I was thinking about doing the same because I'm still on a 775 system, but it just doesn't make sense to spend money on this system now when the only thing I can transfer over to an upgrade to a new socket is a few hard drives and a video card.

When SB comes out I'm just going to splurge on a new mobo, cpu, ram, video card, power supply, and SSD. I think early 2011 is going to be a really great time to build a new system :)
 
Yeah, the only cost effective upgrade for you would be to OC. Since you don't want to do that, waiting and saving is really the only cost effective option left. Any stock upgrades for a 775 system at this point would be a complete waste of money and offer little to no performance increase for you.

Just wait it out.
 
I think you should buy a used Q9650 off of here or ebay. Should be less than $300 and it would be the fastest cpu that you could get for your motherboard. 333 more MHz.

You could possibly overclock your cpu and get that for free (maybe more) but I think that it would not be worth your time nor effort.
 
You can get a Q9550 used for around $150 US. MC used to sell these at that price new but their supply has dried up. However since you have a Q9450 it would only be reasonable if you can sell your Q9450 and get a Q9550 for less than probably $30 total.

Wow if I could find a Q9550 at $150 right now I'd be picking up two for my hackintosh project.

Back on topic though, I would stick it out with the Q9450.
 
got my Q9550 to 3.8ghz with a very negligible increase in voltage. My cpu will do 3.6ghz on stock voltage. I am very lucky to get such a gem. Something to think about I guess...

I got my Q9550 from Microcenter about a year ago for $180. Seems to be a very nice processor to this day.
 
Back
Top