7700k unusual behavior

Byle_Kennett

Limp Gawd
I've got it set to 4.9GHz via bios, but when running stress tests, it keeps jumping up and down from lower clocks.

My old 6600k stayed at the max clock for the duration of the stress test.

Any idea why this happens?

http://imgur.com/O30XYRb

increase the TDP in BIOS, depending on your mobo it have different names, max power in W, Max power in Percentage, TDP, etc etc etc. you are just probably hitting the TDP barrier.

Looks like that is max?? :(

stock.. most likely.. that's why it have to be increased in BIOS.. also there are some options in BIOS that work as an AVX offset which decrease the clock in heavy AVX scenarios it may worth to check it

There was a setting I found in my BIOS that was clearly marked to step down multipliers under conditions. It looks like what's happening to you as well. I set it to 0 and it stayed at the multiplier I selected.

For some reason I had AVX offset to 5 and it was triggering the downclock randomly?? I disabled it and now it runs at max clock.

Strange!

Thank you for the help guys!!

Normally international OCers such Der8aeur set the AVX offset to around to be 300MHz less as it adds a fair amount of heat/TDP output by the processor due to the efficiency of AVX instructions on latest Intel models.
It is beyond a power virus in some ways and if using as a stress test comparison to other manufacturers/older CPUs will give a discrepancy in results - I appreciate you are probably not doing that though but it is still a more excessive stress test if it uses AVX than it would be for older or other CPU makes due to that performance efficiency.

Cheers

I was using prime95, but the one without AVX instructions. Perhaps it's a bug with asus z170-a and kaby lake??

Hmm that is wierd yeah.
If you get time or really feel like investigating it, might be worth setting to 1 and see if it works at that level, maybe 5 was too much *shrug*.
But yeah you could be right about Asus Z170-A with Kaby Lake.
I must admit I was trying to work out which test you were doing that used AVX function :)
Cheers

I would enable the AVX offset to save your CPU as AVX instructions are really demanding on the CPU and yet it can be stable for 99% of things you do. If you can go the speed you want with 0 AVX and away from thermal throttling, then you have a good CPU. I was stuck in a situation that required some ridiculous voltage to get AVX stable at 5.0ghz which would thermally fail after touching 90+ temps.

For the Asus Z170-A and Kaby Lake be sure you're running bios v3301 and not v3007...bios v3007 is very buggy with Kaby Lake.
I'm running the Asus Z170-A with a 7700k and bios v3301 and have had zero issues.

Back