7700k temps with Noctua NH-D15

gizmo11x

n00b
Hello,

Does anyone have this combo?
I would like to make sure that I installed the cooler properly (thermal paste, etc). Haven't done a build myself in a long time http://m.**********************.com/sfp/images/design/usr/smilies/smile.gif .

What are your temps in idle and load (Prime95 26.6, small FFTs)?

Idle temps are around 30-35c (with 1 sec spikes into 40s).
Load: around 72c on the hottest core.

I run the vents on the cooler around 800rpm (it starts to get loud after that).

Running stock at the moment until I am confident I did a proper job installing the cooler.

thanks

Sounds like a prime candidate for delid and refix. I get the overall vibe across the net that kaby lake was put together even worse than skylake on average.

A cooler built to the proper 115x mechanical retention limits cannot correct intel's shitty/lazy/cheapskate mainstream cpu assembly process, it would take so much force to close that gap that it would break the chip or socket.

thx guys...yeah I wouldn't want to go as far as delidding
just wanted to make sure I am in the ballpark for temps before moving on to OC

Hello,

Does anyone have this combo?
I would like to make sure that I installed the cooler properly (thermal paste, etc). Haven't done a build myself in a long time http://m.**********************.com/sfp/images/design/usr/smilies/smile.gif .

What are your temps in idle and load (Prime95 26.6, small FFTs)?

Idle temps are around 30-35c (with 1 sec spikes into 40s).
Load: around 72c on the hottest core.

I run the vents on the cooler around 800rpm (it starts to get loud after that).

Running stock at the moment until I am confident I did a proper job installing the cooler.

thanks
delidding is the real solution to temps. D15 should be as good as AIO waters.

I just delidded mine today - was super easy using the rocket tool - took like maybe 2 minutes. Used Cool Lab Liquid Ultra on cpu and on the heat spreder when I put it back in socket (did not re-lid just used cpu socket to hold it in place, - on x264 stress tests with AIO cooling I was hitting 79/80 c - now....52c....amazing. Next step to OC this bad boy.

I just delidded mine today - was super easy using the rocket tool - took like maybe 2 minutes. Used Cool Lab Liquid Ultra on cpu and on the heat spreder when I put it back in socket (did not re-lid just used cpu socket to hold it in place, - on x264 stress tests with AIO cooling I was hitting 79/80 c - now....52c....amazing. Next step to OC this bad boy.
you can do direct dire on kaby? the PCB is thicker than SKL?

no not direct die - I put the heat spreader back on just used the socket to hold it in place. did not relid (glue it back on).

Back