7700K overclocking

Slade

2[H]4U
Seems like system is windows 10 stable under 1.32V with an adaptive setting letting it spike up to 1.45V under load which I understand from intel's specs of voltage and multipliers means that it will always target a 1.45V with that 50x multiplier.

When I manually set it to say 1.42V and vdroop enabled I see load voltage plummet to 1.306V. Prime crashes instantly in this scenario.

So it appears I have a board without a happy medium over CPU overclocking. I either run high v idle just to get a proper load V, or run a low voltage adaptive and hit 1.45 under load. Both are pretty undesirable in the sense that I have a feeling my 5.0ghz required speed lies higher than 1.32 and less than 1.45.

Anyone with a similar EVGA board or something without a LLC setting (I have a Z270 classified) playing around with Kaby Lake 5.0ghz?

Am I good with just accepting that it will go balls out on voltage for load?

Update: I've played around with the settings and more or less figure out how this board works.

7700K @5.0ghz 1.36V base prime load 1.419-1.437V
EVGA Z270 Classified
I've opted for manual voltage with Auto VDroop setting. Adaptive seemed to be moving the load voltage in steps and vdroop on did the opposite in dropping the voltage into instability under load.

Currently running prime 95 as I type this and its been stable for the past hour and a half. Temps really fluctuate but it depends on the current prime calculation. I've seen it average high 60's with spikes to 80's under more demanding calculations.

As long as this represents the worst aspect, I'm good with this I think.

I'm sure delidding helped this a lot as with this voltage and 5.0ghz it would probably well exceed 91C.

You need to enable LLC and set your vcore to a static setting. Letting it fly up and down like that is bad news for stability and longevity most likely.

There's no LLC in the EVGA bios. Note to self, asus board for next build...

I've read the adaptive V for the EVGA boards are pretty decent. ie high voltage under load only when needed. Sadly 5.0ghz is out of reach as the temps and V require is upper 80's touching 90's and crashing prime a few hours in, while 4.9 can live off of 1.32 and 1.38 under load. I'd take a rock solid stable over that off chance it crashes a core anyday.

I've been playing with the AVX setting and realized that only prime95 was messing my overclock. I took advantage of the AVX offset to drop the multiplier by 1 under AVX loads so it looks like I can get away with 5.0ghz now for everyday use and just let avx neg multiplier kick in for super cpu burning apps like prime95.

Back