770 vs 780

Smitty2k1

Gawd
So I'll be putting together a new system in a few months based around the NCASE M1. That would be mini-itx.

Most likely getting a 4770k as the CPU as nothing will likely be coming out more powerful by then.

For the GPU I'm deciding between a 770 or 780. The case designer suggests getting a blower style cooler, and from what I've read the Titan blower style coolers out perform the older blower style coolers by a fair margin. I've found one or two 770's with a Titan cooler (for a premium, of course) that still come in around $200 cheaper than the 780's with equivalent cooler.

Anyways, I'll be using the system for gaming, photo editing (CPU not GPU intensive), and some light CAD work. My monitor is 1920x1200 and my second monitor is 1080p. I'll likely upgrade the second monitor to 1920x1200 before too long and may look into dual monitor gaming.

At these resolutions is the 780 necessary? At this time I'm in a small apartment and the computer is in the bedroom. It usually runs 24/7 and my current Phenom II x4/nvidia 460 system makes the room noticeably warmer, even at idle. Will these two cards idle any differently? I know the 770 has a lower TDP but I think that is only based upon heavy load.

Having owned both the Titan and two Titan-blower 770's, do it right the first time and buy the 780. I regretted saving the money on the 770's and sold them pretty fast, they are simply glorified 680's. If 770 performance is enough and you're on a budget, save another $100 and buy a blower style 680.

I had a 770 and returned it for the 780. 770 is a better value but I wanted the Titan blower and the 770 with the titan blower is a ripoff

On 1080, the 770 is quite adequete. I can run almost all games at the best settings without any stutter or slowdown. Cant tell you much about 1200 though.

The difference between 770 and 780 is marginal for the large price difference. However, if you have the cheese, get the 780. I think 2x 770s is the sweet spot right now. I hope to go that route soon.

No point in buying either IMO I was going to get two 770s but with AMD dropping new cards next month I'd rather wait and see if Nvidia will drop the 780 price to around$499 or soo.

I am not playing new games at sub par framerates so I might save a few bucks in a month. Not [H] at all...

Odd note, why dual monitor gaming? No one does this, unless you only play supreme commander and have the second monitor for a giant map... whether its WOW, NFS:paradise or CS:GO 2 monitors is just a huge distraction.

Odd note, why dual monitor gaming? No one does this, unless you only play supreme commander and have the second monitor for a giant map... whether its WOW, NFS:paradise or CS:GO 2 monitors is just a huge distraction.

Good to know, never tried it. guess I won't bother worrying about pushing extra pixels. I definitely won't go triple monitors as I'm space limited and my dual monitor arm is awesome.

Back