• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

7600gt vs x1600

Joined
Feb 13, 2006
Messages
43
How does the 7600GT compare to the x1600xt and x1650 pro? Will OCing them give one a clear advantage? Also, how is the x1800 gto? I'm going to try to get one used of those for less than 100 to tie me over until DX10, and I'm not sure which one is worth it.

I forgot about the x800 cards around the price range too. Please include those as well.
 
What card do you have right now? If i had to choose I'd say 7600GT or 1800GTO. Look around the forum as this has probably been answered before, and if not, then look at some other websites and base an opinion off of those. From what i know, the 7600GT is one of the best bang/buck cards at the moment. I'm waiting it out for DX10, then i may get a mad cheap DX9 card with awesome performance or ante up for 8800's:)
 
I'm using onboard 6100 right now, and like you, I'm waiting for DX10 to come out. That's why I'm not going out and buying a 7900 GTX. So you would say that 7600GT? That's why I was leaning towards.
 
yea, you can get some killer deals on that, as well as on the x850xt pe, which is a slightly better performer than the 7600gt, but sounds like a tank and lacks SM 3.0. If you need an upgrade now, then those are some pretty good options, but G80 is about a month away, so if you can hold out, you may get something better for the same price if you dont plan to upgrade instantly to 8800's.
 
yea, bfg 7600gt sounds good. I wanted that, a sapphire x850xt pe (great card, i built a friend a rig with one), or a crazy x1900xt 512 for about $270, but i decided to tough it out (and my 6800GT really helps too, so i can see that the 6100 really makes you want to jump for it:)).
 
When you say "until DX10", do you mean G80 (nVIDIA?), because that will arrive in about a month. If you are waiting for the nVIDIA DX10 card, I would just "tough it out" with your 6100 for another month and save the $100. The ATi DX10 card won't be for a few months, so the wait time would be significantly longer. If you're going to be waiting for the ATi DX10 card, I'd go with the 7600GT.
 
well i am in the almost the same situation, but i am planning to buy a new comp. Since there wouldn't diretx10 games when nvidia g80 is released, 7600gt would be pretty good. I don't know where you live, but if you are in america getting a x850 at around $100 is pretty easy, because i am a Canadian and missed a lot of good deals.

what i suggest is that if you have a 6800 or x800 card and above, i would not recommend getting g80 on the first date if you are waiting for DX10.
 
kevin_tsoi2000 said:
How does the 7600GT compare to the x1600xt and x1650 pro? Will OCing them give one a clear advantage? Also, how is the x1800 gto? I'm going to try to get one used of those for less than 100 to tie me over until DX10, and I'm not sure which one is worth it.

I forgot about the x800 cards around the price range too. Please include those as well.

The 7600 GT or X1800 GTO no doubt! The X1600 XT is really not a good choice. In fact, the only ATI cards I recommend, are X18xx or X19xx. The rest is simply not worth the money you pay for them, IMHO.
 
The X1800GTO usually does better in Direct 3D games, the 7600GT usually does better in OpenGL, but they are still exceptionally close. The 7600GT can be found on Newegg for about $40 less than the X1800GTO, and if you have an SLI board somewhere down the line in a year or two you could do a cheap upgrade. I also think nVidia's driver utilities are easier to manage.
So, my vote = 7600GT
 
x800xl all the way, my x800xl oced to speed in my sig out performs my friends 7600gt, I imagine a x850xtpe would wipe the floor with it
 
my xfx 7600gt oc easily to 600/800 on air and further but i havent tried

thats from 570/725
 
ewww onboard 6100... man I wouldn't and COULDN'T tough it out with that thing, I had it, works great when I didn't have a card, but an FX-5200 is faster. A LOT faster actually.
 
isn't 6100 almost the smae as 6200??

6200 is what i have and i have a soket A motherboard :eek:
 
ahho said:
isn't 6100 almost the smae as 6200??

6200 is what i have and i have a soket A motherboard :eek:
Anandtech.com said:
The GeForce 6150 and 6100 will have a two pixel pipe and one vertex pipe core that runs at either 475 MHz or 425 MHz, depending on the flavor.
6200s however have 4 pipelines at 350mhz. Big difference (plus the onboard VRAM of course!). A 6100 could be like 2/3 a 6200 at the very best.
 
i would consider the 7600gt or the x850xt pe. newegg has the x850xt pe's for $129. no need to wait 6-8 weeks for a rebate.
 
I would recomend 7600GT because i am using one. There is no game out there which you cannot play with 7600GT with some nice resolution, and it will keep you happy until DX10 cards like G80 will come out and start to fall in price area.
 
If you plan on OCing heavily, the X1800 may give you better mileage than the 7600GT. That being said, I don't like comparing cards on OC cuz you might get a dud that can't OC worth a crap. Since I own a 7600GT (a damn good one at that), my vote goes for it.

But like quadnad mentioned, it depends on your timeline for buying a DX10 card. If you've been holding out for a discrete card for while already, why not hold out for another month or two and see how things shake out? Black Friday and the holiday season are coming so you might want to pick up on the good deals then.
 
I can vouch for the performance of the 7600GT, mine works quite well. In the future if I want to upgrade I'll just buy another and toss it in and turn on SLI.
 
Compared to all the cards you listed the 7600GT is clearly the best performer.

The X1800GTO is the only one close, but the GTO is also going to be a lot more expensive.

7600GT's on Newegg are down to $130 new for some models, pre-rebate (~$110 after rebate).
 
Back
Top