7600GT AGP questions!

Yashu

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, one of the things that has always bothered me about the 7800GS is the fact that there are no aftermarket cooling options that fit the card's non-standard HS mounting.

I want to know if, on the 7600GT, does it support standard aftermarket mounting? Is this card more like the 6600GT, in that it supports, say, a zalman's mounting, aslong as you include the translator heatsink? (and can even buy an aftermarket one from zalman)

I own a vf700 and a vf900, and I would really like to have a card that I could actually use my vf900 on.

Are there any links to high res photos of the card? I also would like to see the fan header and wires... my 7800GS has a 4 wire fan that is also non-standard, I would want to know if the 7600gt has a more standard two or 3 wire header.

And the 7600gt chip itself, I know it is 12 pipes... is this a native 12 or is this a chip with a full 24 with half disabled?

If you guys can answer any of these questions I would appreciate it greatly.

Thankyou.

Yashu said:
Are there any links to high res photos of the card? I also would like to see the fan header and wires... my 7800GS has a 4 wire fan that is also non-standard, I would want to know if the 7600gt has a more standard two or 3 wire header.

Leadtek 7600 GT AGP Click on the pic for higher res.
Leadtek 7600 GT AGP review.

That is all the info that I could find that is not in a forum of some sort.

well I like the fact that it has a standard fan header.

So that is one answered question. Now if I could find out if it can accept a zalman vf900 or 700 I would be set.

EDIT:
http://www.7daysit.com/product img/vga/nvidia/agp a6600 gt.jpg
OK I am comparing to this image of a 6600GT, and it looks very very similar. Enough to where I am willing to say it will fit the same cooling units that fit a 6600GT.

EDIT2: I am checking transistor counts, and the 7600gt (g73) has a much smaller transistor count then the g70 or g71 full 24 pipe chips. This leads me to beleive that this is a chip with a native 12 pipes and not one with any disabled.

I may just buy one of these and sell my 7800gs.

I read the review that you linked, and I see that my 7800GS is besting the stock 7600gt already.

In the review, though, they could not overclock the card very well at all. I think part of it is due to the crappy heatsink on that card.

Some wanker in another thread posted a GPUreview.com comparison when I suggested that the 7800GS was better then the 7600GT, that lead to this thread, because I went into it thinking the 7600gt was alot faster then the review actually shows.

Most 7800gs cards are autodetecting over 475 on the core and over 1400 on the memory... Including mine.

Overclocking is never a sure thing, however, it is a safe bet to say you can flash to the EVGA CO (430/1300) bios on just about any 7800GS without problems... and at that level you are already besting the 7600gt.

With 16 pixel pipes, you do not need as much clock speed to maintain performance, as one would with the 7600 on 12 pipes.

I now wonder where the advantage is over the 7800gs, other then price.

I read somewhere the AGP bridge chip has trouble with cores running somewhere over 500mhz. Hence the 7600GT quite possibly could not be able to overclock as well due to that in addition.

Yashu said:
I read the review that you linked, and I see that my 7800GS is besting the stock 7600gt already.

In the review, though, they could not overclock the card very well at all. I think part of it is due to the crappy heatsink on that card.

Some wanker in another thread posted a GPUreview.com comparison when I suggested that the 7800GS was better then the 7600GT, that lead to this thread, because I went into it thinking the 7600gt was alot faster then the review actually shows.

Most 7800gs cards are autodetecting over 475 on the core and over 1400 on the memory... Including mine.

Overclocking is never a sure thing, however, it is a safe bet to say you can flash to the EVGA CO (430/1300) bios on just about any 7800GS without problems... and at that level you are already besting the 7600gt.

With 16 pixel pipes, you do not need as much clock speed to maintain performance, as one would with the 7600 on 12 pipes.

I now wonder where the advantage is over the 7800gs, other then price.
With the current respective price points of the two cards you'd expect the 7800GS to come out ahead. The fact that the 7600GT performs as well as it does in relation to its price point makes it clear a better value; but then again that's just the natural progression of technology.

The amazing thing still is how well the 2 year old x850xt pe holds up; its usually the best card of the ones reviewed

I just got the Leadtek A7600GT TDH agp.
It auto-detect-oc'd to core:612, mem:812 (1624)out of the box, havn't really tested to get it any higher yet. [default is 560, 700 (1400)]

Have a slight problem with quiting open-gl games making my primary screen black though :( Perhaps I should try some other drivers...

And the overcloking panel doesn't show up in the damn WinFoxII...

Luggage said:
I just got the Leadtek A7600GT TDH agp.
It auto-detect-oc'd to core:612, mem:812 (1624)out of the box, havn't really tested to get it any higher yet. [default is 560, 700 (1400)]

Have a slight problem with quiting open-gl games making my primary screen black though :( Perhaps I should try some other drivers...

You might try back down to something like 600/800[1600]. Many 7600GT owners have commented that there's a wall around 610 where the core simply needs more voltage. With that voltage the cores can sail past 650 often. Simply pencil mod [google it].

Luggage said

Use the live update feature in the WinFox software and it will download the overclocking utility plus hardware monitor and other updates to WinFox.

The core temp monitor reading is useless though - for me.
It reports 100c too high.
Scared the heck out of me for a few minutes till I yanked the card and it wasn't even warm.
Nvidia driver reported 41c. WinFox 140c
I ran 3dmark05 after checking hsf and reseating card etc.
Card runs cool, WinFox temp monitoring is whacked
With a mild oc of 575/725 I picked up 310 points: 5647 vs 5337.
Futuremark still says the 91.47's aren't approved.
I noticed a nice fps gain and much better fluidity with this card in F.E.A.R .
All my other games run fine too.
1280x1024 with AA/AF now as opposed to 1024x768 no AA/AF before with a 6600GT.

Don't discount the effect product price has on sales; that's one of the driving forces behind my so many of us OC to begin with.

Hey guys,

i was just thinking of buying this card. How are you guys doing with OC-ing it?

and what heatsink are you using?

From the grave huh. I've benched my 7600GT as high as 616 Core and memory as high as 824/1648; although not at the same time. Mine'll do 610/820 all day all night though. 36-37ºC idle gpu core temps too.
Also I'm using the stock heatsink though I took the thermal pads off and added AS3. I also have a pair of 80mm fans superglued and zip tied together mounted to two pci slot covers blowing directly onto the card and a 120mm fan in my case window blowing perpendicular to the card. So I don't exactly have stock cooling.

I'd really love to do the volt mod but the pci-e 7600GT is not layed out the way agp card is and the AOA Forums link doesn't recognize my 7600GT. I'm certainly with merely another .1v on core and ram this card would do around 660/1740

Yashu said:
so does the 7800gs. you have to use the deep fifo option in bios.
Uh...I just checked on an ASRock K8Upgrade 1689 and there is no such option as far as I can tell.

I have the 6800gs oc from BFG AGP card and I ran a 3dmark 05 score of 5417 which is apparently a great score when I read that the 7900gt is benchmarking at 5600 something? Hardly worth changing cards for me. I'm already running COD 2 at around 90 fps with decent amount of graphics options turned and looking pretty. When I went from the x700 pro agp which scored a 3300 to this card that scored a 5714, that's a SIGNIFICANT upgrade. That's all stock BTW. No overclocking or unlocking or anything. Overlcocked and unlocked I'm sure it could score higher. I simply have artifacting problems and so forth when I attempt to unlock the pipes. If I overclock any more than 20 or 30 mhz, I have some lockup problems in games. Anyway benching at 5714 and running games at a decent level, I'm plenty happy with this AGP card.

HOWEVER, that having been said, I'm in the marking right now for a new setup. Getting a gigabyte sli mobo, two XFX 7900gt XTs, 650W power supply dual rail pci-e PSU, amd 4200+ manchester dual core, 2 gigs of crucial ram....and I think that's it...maybe a couple pretty blue case fans...hehe.

Yes the 7600 GT AGP card is decent....not worth an upgrade from a 6800gs or a 6800gt though. Yeah you can get higher core clock speeds, but what difference does that make if it doesn't make a significant improvement in gaming performance? That's what you're buying it for right? Playing games right? Ok then.

Uh...I just checked on an ASRock K8Upgrade 1689 and there is no such option as far as I can tell.

Dude, on my Asrock dualSATA2, I know for a fact it has that option... I have seen it, enabled it, and used it.

I switched back to this board though because there is no driver support in xp64 for full AGP acceleration... but I am crossing my fingers that fucking nvidia will release a new ULI unified soon that fixes it.

Ub3rn00b said:
Yes the 7600 GT AGP card is decent....not worth an upgrade from a 6800gs or a 6800gt though. Yeah you can get higher core clock speeds, but what difference does that make if it doesn't make a significant improvement in gaming performance? That's what you're buying it for right? Playing games right? Ok then.
Well stated. I've got the 76GT and its very nice but you're absolutely right that its probably only 15-20% faster than the 68 series cards. There's really nothing you can do with the 7600GT that you cannot do with the 68's

GonzoP said:
Well stated. I've got the 76GT and its very nice but you're absolutely right that its probably only 15-20% faster than the 68 series cards. There's really nothing you can do with the 7600GT that you cannot do with the 68's

Lower your AC bill? I think I'm going to end up on a PCI-E 7600GT soon. I was saving up for a 79xx but my motherboard seems to have up and died on me to keep that from happening. Anyway my 6800GS ran really hot I mean like stick your hand behind the PC and wow I can't believe electronics are producing that much heat hot. Even after adding the NV Silencer it was still fairly toasty and didn't improve my already meager overclock (although to be fair I think I just got a crummy card as far as overclocking is concerned). I ended up killing it trying to redo the cooling solution with custom copper heatsinks for the voltage regulators trying to squeeze a little more performance out of the thing. I had been hitting over 80°C on the voltage regulators and frankly if your hardware can boil water that frightens me. When I get my 7600GT I'll likely just leave it as is and only overclock what I can without doing anything at all with hardware...and still get a bit of a boost. Also, not needing a extra power connector is another bonus the 7600GT has over 6800 GS/GT/Ultra cards.

The76GT is definitely a cool customer; mine is idling in the low 30ºC area

Back