7600 GT to ? worth upgrading?

Nirox

n00b
Hello All,
I mostly play older games... q2/q3 (no problems there)
my favorite game at the moment is Battlefield 2 / 2142
I can only play this game at 1280/1024 with low settings
when I try to play it with all settings to high, the game becomes a bit too choppy for my taste....

Currently I have a no name 7600 GT and im thinking about upgrading to a 8600 GT
is this worth it? will I see a large performance increase?

What video cards do you recommend?

Please keep in mind that I don’t give 2 shits about DX10 as this is only a temp system until I blow my load on a beast...I only want to be able to play with FULL settings at 1280.1024 and have NO video lag what so ever...

Help? ;)

What does the rest of your system look like? A 7600GT should run BF2 at 1280 on at least medium settings without many problems.

at 1280x1024 an 8600gt is not much better in some games and in some cases slower than a 7600gt.

definately not worth it. I would upgrade to a 8800gts 320mb at the least from a 7600gt

As mentioned a 7600gt should be ok for medium settings with no problems.
There are a few things that can be hanging you up. 1st is ram. You need at LEAST 1gb of ram for bf2 to run well. Another is turn down your sound quality and take off soft shadows.

Hello All,
when I try to play it with all settings to high, the game becomes a bit too choppy for my taste....

Please keep in mind that I don’t give 2 shits about DX10 as this is only a temp system until I blow my load on a beast...I only want to be able to play with FULL settings at 1280.1024 and have NO video lag what so ever...

Help? ;)

Something is wrong I can play bf2 at everything maxed at 1440/900 (wide screen equivalent to 1280/1024) except texture which is at medium and aa which is at 2x and never drop below 30fps but load times are a little long since I only got 1 gig if I had 2 gigs I suspect that I could max out texture as well, also sound is at high (not ultra, stupid x-fi) but I still have all the other sound options maxed thnxs to my bitchin audigy 2 zs

P.S. the 8800GTS 320 mb would be just up you alley, I know its directx 10 but it is also a great directx 9 performer which would run Bf2 at max everything including AA and AF and also enable the use of TRAA and stay at a constant 60fps

i'll put it simply. i had an XFX 7600GT XXX Edition...upgraded to an Inno3D 8600GTS 512mb...it wasn't a great upgrade, personally i would go out and get 8800GTS or something like that.

Hello All,

Help? ;)

Pick up a cheap x1950GT from newegg.com and you will get a huge upgrade for about $115ish

The 8600's are crippled with slow 128-bit memory and while they may look a bit faster on paper over the 1950's they end up being at least 25% slower due to the crippled memory.

DX10 on the 8600's is too slow to use so that is a non-factor. If you can wait all the cards will get cheaper but you can always say this and meanwhile you have to continue to play games at your current speed.

-JB

Back