754 pin cpu overheating

TBJ

Gawd
quote from another site:

"A CPU that overheats even if all fans are working (and assuming all cleaning, location and environmental temperature recommendations have been met) could need new thermal compound between its heat sink and processor. This eventually happens in all machines as the existing compound hardens, although it usually takes years. You can see a computer technician or buy a professional grade thermal compound and apply it yourself - but only if you know exactly what you are doing."

In 2006 I installed a 754 pin 2.6 GHz mobile cpu in my system, I used AS5 as the thermal compound, my computer idles @ 45-50C depending on ambient temperature. But also my computer sat in a closet unused for 2 years. By the above statement how long is Arctic Silver 5 good for?

What is the ambient temperature where the machine is located?
What is the temperature like under load?
Do you remember what the temps were like before you put the machine away?

i have seen older than that oem pc's that where not overheating from thermal paste getting old.

but on the other hand in about the amount of time it took to post this I could have pulled the hsf and cleaned /reapplied thermal paste soooo yeah if it was me i'd probably try that and see what it does after that.

(and clean the fan / heatsink while you are at it.)

I guess I should give my system specs,

Mobile Athlon 64 754 pin 4000+ @ 2.6Ghz, non overclock
DFI lanparty UT NF3 250gb
1 gig Mushkin ram (2 x 512 mb)
ATI Radeon x1650pro 512mb
74 gig raptor as system drive
350W AOpen powersupply model # FSP350-60PN
winXP home SP3
Aopen H700B full tower case (mostly empty now, was full of harddrives..now dead)

I'm using a thermalright xp-120 with 120mm panaflo fan, artic silver 5

The fan, heatsink and case are clean.

The mobile cpu did not come with a heatspreader.

Temps updated, i'm thinking these readings have to be off; house ambient is at 24C, computer room at 26C, now case temps according to computer is at 37C, cpu at 50C, but can jump to 60+ under load. I had the side panel off and didnt affect temps. I have two 80mm fans drawing air in, one at bottom front and the other is over the harddrives. Exhaust is 80mm at top back on a speed controller and psu/w 120mm. Are there any ex- old Mobile athlon 64 754 pin users out there that can confirm these readings?

Solution found (mind you I'm running old hardware so this was hard to find) through this post. I sanded down the nubs on the retention bracket for the thermaltake xp-120 half way and re-applied arctic silver as per the instructions on their website.

Room ambient temperature is 25C, case temp at 45C (doesn't seem right..), pwmic at 40C, cpu hovering around 40C with fan off, I have it spin up at 45C.

I think my case temps are up because I damaged one of the wires to the side fan so I only have one intake now.

are you going by the system temp on the motherboard as your case temp? because on the DFI NF3 250Gb motherboard its incorrect. i don't have my other system on which has the other board to check what the actual sensor reading is from.. you'd think after 3 years of playing around overclocking on that board i'd have it memorized.

Are you saying Smartguardian is incorrect or the reading from the motherboard sensor diode is incorrect?

Are you saying Smartguardian is incorrect or the reading from the motherboard sensor diode is incorrect?

no the bios are wrong so the programs assuming its the system temp when its not. i think its actually the south bridge temp. because i remember mine was insanely high as well, chipset was 55-60C and the system temp reading was in the 40's. since my case had 3 temp sensors in it and i knew the actual temp was between 22-26C i've always assumed that sensor was actually the south bridge.

I've installed speedfan, this is what I get for readings:

Temp 1: 39 cpu under smartguardian
Temp 2: 36 pwmic?
Temp 3: 43 system?

(these three use IT8712F)

Temp 1: 39 (ACPI)

Core: 45

I was reading that speedfan just displays anything that shows up and its up to me to figure out what readings mean what. It also stated that some manufacturers would show the cpu die temp.(PWM IT8712F) along with an other diode attached externally (ACPI). So two sensor readings for the cpu.

I'm most curious which is the reading I have to worry about, before I modded the retention bracket, under load my computer would reach @60C, according to speedfan the core reading was probably closer to 66C. I had also set my mobo bios to shutdown at 65C, which didn't happen. Which reading do I trust as being the correct one?

Back