• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

750W Silverstone enough for this?

gaspah

2[H]4U
Joined
May 29, 2007
Messages
2,373
is this

750W "SilverStone" ST75F Power Supply, Black, SLI ready, 120mm fan, 4 x PCI-E 6pin connectors, 2 x Triple SATA connectors, Active PFC

good enough for my rig... note im adding watercooling and 4 more hdd
 
somebody said to me the other day (when the forum was doing that weird thing for 12-24 hours or whatever thats why its not here now) that this psu was enough for my system... i did mention a few extras to what was in my specs.. but i just run everything through a psu calc and if i have to buy a psu this big, I think im gonna burst out in tears... this pc is already getting close to the $5k mark and I only work part time.... heres what I put in the calc...

System Type: Single Processor
Mobo: Regular - Desktop
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2600MHz Conroe
CPU Utilization (TDP): 85%
Overclock: none
RAM: 4 Sticks DDR2 SDRAM
Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce 8800GTX
Video Type: Single Card
Hard Drives*
SATA: 11HDDs
DVD-RW/DVD+RW Drive: 1 Drive
Additional PCI Card(avg): 1 Card (fusionHDTV)
Additional PCIE Cards*
PCI-e x8: 1 Card (areca arc-1220)
USB: 8 Devices
Fans*
80mm: 1 fan
120mm: 3 fans
Water Pump: Swiftech MCP 655
System Load: 100% (peak load)
Capacitor Aging: 25%

Results: 887W

so that means i should get like 900W?? serious... i can't afford that... i really dont want to buy a 750W then to find that i still have to piggyback another psu out the butt of my case....

I mean i just bought my AU$800 areca sata raid card that prevented proper nutrition for the last 4 weeks... :~(
 
You'll be fine with an HX 620.

eXtreme psu calculator = eXtremely inaccurate.
 
the 620w corsair is only like $20 (at the wholesale supplier I'd prefer to buy from for easy rma reasons) cheaper than the 750w silverstone (both acceptable price in my book).... i think i'd prefer a few more watts than I need... or is the Corsair one really good???

EDIT: actually I think that I'll go with the corsair because 5 years warranty sound a lot better than 3 years...
 
I ended up getting the SilverStone 750W ST75F (no stock on the 620W corsair).

My gosh this thing looks IMPRESSIVE... ok ok ok I may be going a bit over the top, but this is my first 'real' psu... and compared to the ones I replace day in day out.... whooosh.

I like it because it's solid black with no fancy lights on it, which goes perfect with the no-mess, all black theme of my pc... which i'm thinking of renaming 'black box' once its done....:D
 
you will be fine with silverstone (it's powering my main rig with similar specs)
 
Yep, the Silverstone's are good units, right up there with the other top dawgs like Seasonic/Corsair, Enermax, PCP&C, Zippy, Etasis, and such.

You should have smooth sailin' now bro! :)
 
your telling me! My PC has a whole new persona, it used to lock-up sometimes and I've been watching the voltages and where they used to fluctuate when you loaded a program, now it's like a rock... I definately love it! I freaked out because when I first installed it it would go ON boom boom OFF boom boom ON boom boom OFF (the boom boom is my amp/speakers)... but I just discovered that this PSU CANNOT run on my 6-socked powerboard rather I had to give it its own wall plug..... then it run perfect..
 
Just goes to show what I believe are the 2 most important parts in a PC - the PSU and motherboard. Most ppl worry too much about the CPU or RAM or GPU or HD. Doesn't matter how great the other parts are, without a very good mobo and PSU your PC won't run real well.
 
I freaked out because when I first installed it it would go ON boom boom OFF boom boom ON boom boom OFF (the boom boom is my amp/speakers)... but I just discovered that this PSU CANNOT run on my 6-socked powerboard rather I had to give it its own wall plug..... then it run perfect..

I had the same problem, although with a different Silverstone unit. I plugged my 360 into the same power strip that my computer was connected to and my computer refused to power up.
 
It's good to know it's protecting my hardware :) :) especially since it's my most expensive possession (nearing the AU$5K mark and it'll hit the AU$7K mark when I get my new samsung LA40M81BDX LCD.... oooh it's sooo nice... not that my PSU will be protecting that... kinda off-topic huh... oh well... I'm bored sucked in!
 
Back
Top